Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 09-01-19, 13:27   #11
DragonSlayer

Somewhere starring Elle Fanning

It's about a guy who is a newly famous actor who is recovering from a minor injury at a retreat despite having money, success and fame he is trapped in an existential crisis and has an emotionally empty daily life.

Later in the movie his ex wife has a breakdown and leaves their eleven year old daughter in his care, the time they spend together helps him clean up his act and accept adult responsibility.

I didn't think much of it when I was reading the description in the TV guide but it turned out to be a good movie.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-19, 13:37   #12
Dennis's Mom

This may not be fair as an "unheard of movie" since it's foreign, but I'm always pimping this film because it's so fantastic and currently streaming on Netflix.

Mother
Dennis's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-19, 20:19   #13
DragonSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis's Mom View Post
This may not be fair as an "unheard of movie" since it's foreign, but I'm always pimping this film because it's so fantastic and currently streaming on Netflix.

Mother
I thought you were posting about the Jennifer Lawrence movie of the same name, it's one of those movies you will love or hate even though the plot made little sense when I saw it at the cinema I still kinda liked it.

The last part of the movie is like a house party advertised on Facebook but 10 maybe even 20 times crazier than any house party could ever get in real life and the scene involving the baby I was like I can't believe they just did that, very little surprises me in movies anymore but that scene with the baby is not something you very often in movies.

I plan on rewatching it at some point.
Old 09-01-19, 23:22   #14
Cochrane
Golden

Foreign films sound like a good idea for this:

Your name
Not sure how unheard of this is to the folks reading this; my understanding is that it got a wider release in the US, but in Germany cinemas only showed it for two evenings (and that's already one more than they were planning to), while in Japan it is the most successful animated movie of all time. Anyway, it's a beautiful story, amazingly animated with a really great soundtrack, and whenever I watch it I have to try to be extra cynical because otherwise I'm just going to start crying again.

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
Easily the best Norwegian movie I've ever seen (the book is even better). This is a road story full of colourful fun characters that retells the life story of someone who was always accepting of life and great at blowing stuff up as he made his way through 20th century history in a manner similar to Forrest Gump.

Look Who's Back
This deep dark satire is a cautionary tale about the way the public is fascinated with Hitler. In it, Hitler magically reawakens in modern-day Germany and becomes a media sensation, because everyone just treats him like a super-edgy always-method comedian. Along the way it asks whether it is okay to make jokes like that, and in the end it argues literally against its own existence. It's a story that shows how dangerous Hitler was by showing how he could become so popular in the first place.

Last edited by Cochrane; 09-01-19 at 23:31.
Cochrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-19, 23:56   #15
Brendanlovesu1

Everyone should watch Mysterious Skin

The imdb description is "A teenage hustler and a young man obsessed with alien abductions cross paths, together discovering a horrible, liberating truth." I saw that it had Joseph Gordon-Levitt in it so I just thought why not?

So I came into a movie thinking it was about aliens or something and turns out it was more about a pedophile molester and a kid who turns out to be a prostitute... lol. It was pretty good, but i did not see that one coming.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt was and still is hot.

I had no idea it was going to be so intense of a movie, very good. But never ever will I watch it again.
Brendanlovesu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 02:03   #16
Catapharact

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post
Your name
Not sure how unheard of this is to the folks reading this; my understanding is that it got a wider release in the US, but in Germany cinemas only showed it for two evenings (and that's already one more than they were planning to), while in Japan it is the most successful animated movie of all time. Anyway, it's a beautiful story, amazingly animated with a really great soundtrack, and whenever I watch it I have to try to be extra cynical because otherwise I'm just going to start crying again.
Its kind of sad that the movie never got nominated for an Oscar for best animated Picture. IMO it deserved it a HELL of a lot more than Pixar's Boss Baby (WTF?!) Then again, given how the Oscar Nominations usually rely heavily on campaigning, a lot of foreign made films usually miss out as a result.

Keeping the animated Movie Genre in mind, here are my recommendations:

5 cm per second:

Not for people who are currently going through a Break up . The movie presents a more realistic look on relationships and how factors beyond our control will effect the strength of the bond between two people in a relationship. The movie is actually three episodes long with each episode presenting a different period of life of the two protagonists in the story.

Its definitely worth the watch.
Catapharact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 11:13   #17
LaraCroftSotTR

Two quite good / smart thrillers;

The invisible Guest / Contratiempo (2016)
The Body / El cuerpo (2012)

Both from the same writer & director (Oriol Paulo)
LaraCroftSotTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-19, 12:05   #18
DragonSlayer

Cyberbully starring Maisie Williams

Long story short Maisie Williams versus a cyberstalker who refuses to let her leave her room warning her that if she does she will suffer the consequences.

Definitely worth watching.
Old 25-01-19, 14:50   #19
akci

Ocean Waves, probably the least known Ghibli film, very similar to 5 cm, chances are if you liked one you'll like the other. Not much in therms of story, bit of high school romance, or lack thereof, but good animation and good relateable characters.

84 Charing Cross Road, one of my favorites, not much happening, for bookworms.

Candleshoe, my favorite Disney live action film.

Sneakers, despite the all star cast not many heard of this, some conspiracy stuff, not the best of its kind but well worth watching.
akci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-19, 19:50   #20
drbunnig

Black Water and Rogue. Both killer croc films set in Australia's Northern Territory. Not that it's a genre I'm a massive fan of, just the first two films that came to mind.
drbunnig is offline   Reply With Quote