Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 27-02-19, 23:46   #11
Zelda master

Genisys had a good idea, the execution was just terrible. Hoenstly, I wish they had a better production team, because there was a terrific film hidden in it.
Zelda master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-19, 07:59   #12
Cochrane
Golden

I’ll have to disagree with some of the things said here. Yes, there was certainly one good movie hiding in Genisys (or whatever “cool” and “meaningful” misspelling they used); sadly there were also two others hiding in there that were bad, and none of them worked well together.

The good part was Daenerys Targaryen, Mother of Dragons, and her robot Daddy. That was beautiful and interesting and bad-ass (Game of Thrones Queens seem to make for great Sarah Connors in general).

Sadly there was also the entirely forgettable stuff with Kyle Reese, and worst of all, the whole Skynet thing. I know people in this thread liked it, but not me. This is a classic case of a screenwriter going “Mark Zuckerberg and Steve Jobs scare me but I don’t know anything about technology, so I’m just going to make the broadest, least specific possible cartoon version of them”. It’s akin to a movie that wants to argue against cars, doesn’t know anything about traffic or road accidents, and ends up having them all assemble into giant dinosaurs.

Terminator has always had big ideas about scary technology with no specifics, of course. But it always kept the specifics very vague. Where does Skynet come from? How are Terminator made? The good movies always kept that a secret, which made everything more scary and had the side-effect of enduring that there wasn’t anything horribly stupid in the answer.

I hate the whole trend of “social networks and phone are scary” in modern media; not because they aren’t to some extent, but because screenwriters don’t seem to understand (or executives believe that audiences don’t understand) anything about the specifics and so go for cartoons. It’s as logical as Star Trek IV arguing that we need to save the whales because one day an alien space probe might come looking for them (though that was a movie that never took itself too seriously, so it could get away with that). There has been exactly one example of a good tech entrepreneur antagonist, and that is in the modern Ducktales, where
You can get away with cartoonish plots because it is literally a cartoon. But in Terminator Gynysys, it did not work at all in my opinion.

Edit to add after a few hours: Sorry for that rant. It’s just that I’m still frustrated with Genessisisysiys. It’s the worst case of bad movie: One that does something interesting. I have long forgotten the previous one (Salvation, I think?) because there was nothing of value in it. Geneseseseysis, however, had a really good core idea with its Sarah Connor and screwed it up. I’m not angry at anyone in this thread, just at the movie.

Last edited by Cochrane; 28-02-19 at 13:30.
Cochrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 14:59   #13
Dustie

I thought Genisys was a convoluted and badly acted mess. I found Salvation much better, though the ending is just as lame as Genisys itself.

I can't really see this movie turning out that well either...
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 15:22   #14
KManX89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
I thought Genisys was a convoluted and badly acted mess. I found Salvation much better, though the ending is just as lame as Genisys itself.

I can't really see this movie turning out that well either...
Why not? James Cameron's returning and it looks like it's going back to its dark R roots with Arnie playing the evil Terminator again.
KManX89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 15:30   #15
James_Rutland

The movie could either do really well or flop just like the other sequels. From the looks of things early on, people are not taking it seriously because it looks to be a feminist ensemble like Ghostbusters. We shall see.

I'm also really curious to know where John is? Apparently they are CGI'ing Edward Furlong's John onto a new child actor so maybe he dies in a flashback? Interesting twist if so. One theory is that since they stop judgment day in T2 John seizes to exist as the war doesn't happen for Kyle Reese to be sent back in time.

Last edited by James_Rutland; 04-03-19 at 15:32.
James_Rutland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-19, 02:30   #16
Sir Launcelot

So all the movies from after 1991 will become "un-movies" and now everything will be all right?

OK.

Even T2 kind of wrecked the idea.

The original "Terminator" was low budget but had this dark freaky intensity that kept you glued to the screen.

The whole thing built and built until at the end you finally saw this totally scary ass robot in all its metal glory trying to finish its business.

It was a masterpiece of cinematic suspense with an unforgettable ending.

T2 was... not that.

I think they just put "polyalloy" in it because at the time that was one of the cool things you could do digitally on a movie screen. But it seems like an awful stretch to me.

By contrast, a killer robot shaped like a man with skin grown on it is terrifyingly real.

And why did the polyalloy robot have to TOUCH something to mimic it? What really needs is to see the entire surface of the object to be mimicked. Duuuuuuh.

Hollywood.
Sir Launcelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-19, 11:58   #17
Dustie

^ That's rather nitpicky... As much as you're right about the first movie, I think the second one was a great rehash of these ideas. Honestly two of them were just about enough, that's why I think no matter what they do for this one it just won't hold up. Maybe I will be proven wrong...
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-19, 13:38   #18
Sir Launcelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
^ That's rather nitpicky... As much as you're right about the first movie, I think the second one was a great rehash of these ideas. Honestly two of them were just about enough, that's why I think no matter what they do for this one it just won't hold up. Maybe I will be proven wrong...
IDK, I just felt that T2 was quite snuggly and campy compared to the first one.

The problem is that it was designed as a 90s Hollywood blockbuster, whereas the first one is one of those great cult films that came out of nowhere, and was wildly popular, so Hollywood had to hijack it.

Probably wishing for a new movie that really captures the feeling of the original is just a vain wish, like finding a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
Sir Launcelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-19, 14:05   #19
TRfan23
Golden

Thanks to Zelda Master pointing it out to me, I can't help but see at the characters in T2 as though they are made from wax XD
TRfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-19, 16:10   #20
Zelda master

The latest remaster was such a hot mess. I can't believe Cameron gave that the green light.
Zelda master is offline   Reply With Quote