Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 22-08-19, 22:03   #1
AmericanAssassin

Exclamation John Carpenter's Halloween and the Future of the Franchise Discussion

"Halloween" Sequels Confirmed for 2020 and 2021: "Halloween Kills" and "Halloween Ends"
*SPOILER ALERT* for those of you who missed out on Halloween (2018)!
Source: https://www.indiewire.com/2019/07/jo...ds-1202159352/

Quote:
John Carpenter has put an end to the rumors regarding the future of the "Halloween" horror movie franchise. A video posted to the filmmaker’s social media pages confirms that two more "Halloween" sequels are being developed for 2020 and 2021. First up is "Halloween Kills," which sounds like it will pick up with Jamie Lee Curtis’ Laurie Strode after the events of David Gordon Green’s 2018 "Halloween." The reboot trilogy will end with the appropriately titled last entry, "Halloween Ends."

An official release from the studio confirmed that Green will return to direct both films.

Jason Blum teased last month that he was "discussing stuff" with Jamie Lee Curtis, Collider reported afterwards that a sequel to the "Halloween" reboot was gearing up for a September 2019 film shoot. Universal already has an untitled Blumhouse horror movie scheduled for October 16, 2020 that many expected to be "Halloween 2." The video announcement now confirms that’s the date for "Halloween Kills."

Universal and Blumhouse’s "Halloween" reboot opened last October to $76.2 million, the highest opening in the horror franchise’s history and the second biggest October start on record. The film ended its run with $159 million in the U.S. and $255 million globally on a budget in the $10 million range. Most importantly, the film got critics and fans back on the franchise’s good side after a series of poorly received sequels.

The reboot ended with the Strode family seemingly prevailing over Michael Myers by trapping him in the basement of their home and setting the place on fire. The movie ended with a shot of the burnt basement and Michael’s body nowhere to be found. A post-credits scene included Michael breathing, confirming the character survived the events of the film. That’s where "Halloween Kills" is most likely to begin.

Watch the announcement for "Halloween Kills" and "Halloween Ends" in the video below.

What are your thoughts on the current Michael/Laurie storyline? Do you prefer one of the previous alternate storylines? Discuss.

Last edited by AmericanAssassin; 22-08-19 at 23:06.
AmericanAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-19, 01:30   #2
TRhalloween

Oh, my namesake. I've been thinking a lot about the series lately. I really liked the last film and unlike the H20 timeline it seems that there's more planning going into the sequels, no contractual weirdness.
TRhalloween is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-19, 04:17   #3
Ahmier
Unverified

I like the storyline now but I did prefer the brother/sister thing. I found it a surprise when it was revealed but then again I was a kid and that could be nostalgia aha
Ahmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-19, 08:44   #4
Zelda master

I love the series, but it does have a lot of lows. Loved the new one despite obvious flaws, but Halloween Kills and Halloween Ends are terrible names. Please let those not be the final names.
Zelda master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-19, 09:45   #5
scion05

The issue with the new reimagined continuation is that it simply wasn’t scary.
Visually the film was gorgeous, but there was simply no element of fear.
Very well acted, I must admit.

They seriously need to up their game.

I maintain that the scariest Halloween is by far H6. He was a brutal unstoppable killing machine in H6... especially the theatrical cut. The first 20 mins of RZH2 was also incredible.
scion05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-19, 12:45   #6
sackboy123

Ever since Myers made his appearance in Dead by Daylight, I've been intrigued with this series a lot. Looking forward to the last two films. Loved the 2018 sequel
sackboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-19, 16:14   #7
Zelda master

Quote:
Originally Posted by scion05 View Post
The issue with the new reimagined continuation is that it simply wasn’t scary.
Visually the film was gorgeous, but there was simply no element of fear.
Very well acted, I must admit.

They seriously need to up their game.

I maintain that the scariest Halloween is by far H6. He was a brutal unstoppable killing machine in H6... especially the theatrical cut. The first 20 mins of RZH2 was also incredible.
Nah, Halloween 6 is straight up garbage in every single way imaginable. And I'm saying that as a fan of the film. The mask on the other hand, now that's godtier! I don't think the reboot needed much fear in the same way as others, the fear comes from the fact such a simple man can just walk into ones house and smash their brains into bits or stab you to death.

The bit in the middle where Michael just goes on a killing spree, that I found terrifying, and I'm saying that because it can happen. The film even makes fun of the simple concept, but it pulls it off so well.
Old 23-08-19, 17:44   #8
TRhalloween

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda master View Post
Nah, Halloween 6 is straight up garbage in every single way imaginable. And I'm saying that as a fan of the film. The mask on the other hand, now that's godtier! I don't think the reboot needed much fear in the same way as others, the fear comes from the fact such a simple man can just walk into ones house and smash their brains into bits or stab you to death.

The bit in the middle where Michael just goes on a killing spree, that I found terrifying, and I'm saying that because it can happen. The film even makes fun of the simple concept, but it pulls it off so well.
I like the atmosphere of H6 and I think it had some interesting ideas. They were digging themselves a hole by introducing the family thing in H2 then doing the thorn stuff, maybe they had to at that point.

I like that they introduced more villains, it was just executed poorly. Michael should have never been a pawn in their game.
TRhalloween is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-19, 21:37   #9
Zelda master

I honestly think that the Thorn story could've worked, it's what Pleasence originally signed on for with a psychological view of Michael thrown in. But then you got a million rewrites and the rest is history. I still can't quite grasp that a film made with an R rating in mind was test screened with 14/15 year olds as its audience. But at least it have the the one of two reshoots that were worth while. John's head exploding was quite nice to see. Well that and the hilarious face Paul makes when he sees Michael. That stuffs pure gold.
Old 23-08-19, 21:38   #10
Lord Insidious

Big fan of the series/Michael Myers over here. Easily my favorite slasher movie icon/series. Been watching the movies since I was a little kid. Had a few of them on VHS, plus I’d watch them every time they’d come on AMC MonsterFest in October.

The best ones in the series, imo, are probably the original first two, part four, and the 2018 sequel, and as much of a mess parts five and six are, I still enjoy those as well. Season of the Witch wasn’t that bad, either. It would have been interesting to see the series go through with the anthology route like they were planning to.

The Curse of Michael Myers is probably my favorite out of them all not due to the storyline, but due to the atmosphere, the kills, the portrayal of Michael, and the mask. There’s this sense of dread and doom that’s not like the others that I really love. Well, maybe also the second film. The mask is great, too, probably my favorite one next to the original and the 2018 masks, and George P. Wilbur and Allen Michael Lerner both kill it as Myers. The deaths are at their most brutal aside from the fourth and 2018 films. My favorite one is probably Debra Strode’s death by axe. It was also pretty satisfying to see that dickhead John Strode’s head explode, too.

It’s scarier that there is no reason behind his madness, but I honestly like the Thorn curse being Michael’s motivation for his immortality and bloodlust. It’s very gothic and pagan, and it adds to the atmosphere. I just wish it was executed differently. While it is more coherent in storytelling, the producer’s cut made Michael seem like a puppet more than the embodiment of pure evil. The theatrical cut corrects this error in the end, and that’s why we have the operating room massacre: to show that you can’t control evil.

I feel that they should have done something similar to the novelization of the first film: make it to where Michael’s evil is genetic, passed down from generations earlier. Make the power of Thorn more mysterious and cryptic.

Getting back to the 2018 film, I watched that on opening night, and it was an awesome experience. Great film.

But yeah, I love Halloween to death.

Last edited by Lord Insidious; 23-08-19 at 22:49.
Lord Insidious is offline   Reply With Quote