Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Angel of Darkness

Old 05-08-21, 20:28   #2001
Joey79100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laralicious View Post
perhaps because we didn't know that the AOD FMVs were outsourced to a company in France.
It's always been in the credits though (and when you see the quality of the animation in those cutscenes it had to be mocap).
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-21, 21:07   #2002
.snake.

It's so hard for me to imagine that that ridiculous hand-flapping/arm-waving that Lara does when she's chasing Kurtis down the stairwell in the Louvre cutscene was actually mo-capped by a human being It always seemed so unnatural to me that I figured an animator was just getting a little carried away with his skill.
.snake. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-21, 21:19   #2003
_Seth

Quote:
Originally Posted by .snake. View Post
It's so hard for me to imagine that that ridiculous hand-flapping/arm-waving that Lara does when she's chasing Kurtis down the stairwell in the Louvre cutscene was actually mo-capped by a human being It always seemed so unnatural to me that I figured an animator was just getting a little carried away with his skill.
She's running sideways down stairs quickly, I figured it was to keep her balance.
_Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-21, 22:32   #2004
.snake.

Okay, I want you to run down some stairs quickly, sideways, and flap and wave your arms around like that and see if it helps you keep your balance. Report back when ready
Old 13-08-21, 23:48   #2005
_Seth

If you felt yourself learning down to fall then thrusting your arms upwards would direct your momentum back upright.
_Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-21, 00:01   #2006
Boobandie

Yeah there's nothing wrong with Lara's arms moving, the mo-cap may be why it looks strange though. Lara's model doesn't align with a real human precisely, and you can see in the 'blooper reel' with Jonell's voice over how wonky the mo-cap can be particularly with her arms.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-21, 00:57   #2007
.snake.

At least her arm movements aren't as legendary as in this TR3 promo trailer...

Last edited by .snake.; 14-08-21 at 01:00.
Old 14-08-21, 02:08   #2008
Quebsenuef

Never noticed her arm movements in that scene. I went back to watch it. I don’t see anything wrong with it. It seems like she was doing it not to keep balance, but to have her arms ready were she to trip or slip on a stair and fall, so she can grab a railing.

As someone who has run down many stairs at my job, also have run down stairs wet from rain or my shoes are wet, I definitely have the same sort of arm stance ready to grab a railing in case I slip. She was running down those steps pretty quickly.

Also, wasn’t one of the things with AOD Lara supposed to have been “Oh no, she’s been under a pyramid for a month and is weak and inexperienced at running, jumping, climbing, etc.” That could also explain her “I’m gonna run down these steps with my arms up” kinda stance
Quebsenuef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-21, 05:23   #2009
Boobandie

What i don't understand is Kurtis teleporting during that same scene. He very clearly falls towards the stairs but somehow moves over a meter to the right in order to drop past it to the floor below.

No wonder Lara looked shocked. She just witnessed a glitch in spacetime.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-21, 16:16   #2010
JoelCaesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
What i don't understand is Kurtis teleporting during that same scene. He very clearly falls towards the stairs but somehow moves over a meter to the right in order to drop past it to the floor below.

No wonder Lara looked shocked. She just witnessed a glitch in spacetime.
I remember noticing this too recently! Oh well.
JoelCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote