Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts

Old 09-01-23, 13:27   #281
Tonyrobinson

I'm going to be a bit of a cynic here, I'm reserving my judgement on the anime but does anyone actually feel like it was warranted and are people actually genuinely excited for it? I don't feel like it is something I necessarily needed from the franchise but it's a happy little bonus I suppose.

I don't think the wider public would get behind this unless is has good word of mouth so hopefully it has a conclusive ending if it doesn't bring in big viewership. It just feels like something that would appeal to us fans or a smaller sect of viewers.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 09-01-23 at 13:28.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-23, 15:18   #282
Amunet

It's hard to be excited when we know so little about this series. Personally, I'm looking forward to hear Hayley Atwell as Lara and that's it. We don't know what the art style is going to be like, we don't have any promotional material yet, all we have is a synopsis that really doesn't excite me at all.

I also think this series comes at an awkward time to be honest since we're in the middle of this rebranding of the franchise with the unification thing, which imo should be first presented in the games and not on a side project.
Amunet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-23, 21:19   #283
andre_costa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post
It's hard to be excited when we know so little about this series. Personally, I'm looking forward to hear Hayley Atwell as Lara and that's it. We don't know what the art style is going to be like, we don't have any promotional material yet, all we have is a synopsis that really doesn't excite me at all.

I also think this series comes at an awkward time to be honest since we're in the middle of this rebranding of the franchise with the unification thing, which imo should be first presented in the games and not on a side project.
^Yeah and this is one of the few things I hate most about this franchise... We never know that much... There's always so much room for toxic speculation and then they blame on the fans. It's entirely their fault that there's so much toxicity.
andre_costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-23, 06:03   #284
JuditePrince12

Honestly there’s no need to speculate if the anime is something that people want. IF it has good writing, It will get a lot of attention bcuz of Netflix’s algorithm and how big of a streaming platform it is. TR hasn’t had anything close to above and beyond storytelling in the reboot so that’s what we need to worry about. This project is being done by a team that doesn’t have any sort of popular name or any work to reserve our judgements. Very underdog esque and with the recent Velma series i’m losing faith in animated stories as a whole. Actual Japanese anime, shows, manga etc has been demolishing American media recently.
JuditePrince12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-23, 01:57   #285
KylieDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post

Now TR has new owners is there any reason to believe the unified thing is going to still happen? It was always an awful idea that doesn't actually work without erasure of what people love and to me at least felt like a weak attempt to try force popularity onto the failed reboot Lara by attaching her to the Lara people actually recognise and know.
KylieDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-23, 12:28   #286
Xilurm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KylieDog View Post
Now TR has new owners is there any reason to believe the unified thing is going to still happen? It was always an awful idea that doesn't actually work without erasure of what people love and to me at least felt like a weak attempt to try force popularity onto the failed reboot Lara by attaching her to the Lara people actually recognise and know.
Crystal Dynamics are still the owners though.
Xilurm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-23, 23:05   #287
KylieDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
Crystal Dynamics are still the owners though.
They aren't, and never have been. Eidos used to own TR, then Square-Enix, now whoever the new guys are. CD have always been a dev they owned and assigned to TR after Core.
KylieDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-23, 23:43   #288
Chamayoo

Quote:
They aren't, and never have been. Eidos used to own TR, then Square-Enix, now whoever the new guys are. CD have always been a dev they owned and assigned to TR after Core.
They are now since Embracer buy them, it's quite recent.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-23, 00:55   #289
Zebra

Quote:
I believe (but someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that, legally speaking, the IP was owned by Core. It's just that, because Core was owned by Eidos, Eidos also indirectly owned TR. The same arrangement is now in place with Crystal from what I remember. Crystal own the IP but they themselves are owned by Embracer so Embracer is technically in charge of the IP.

In any case, the Embracer takeover doesn't seem to have had much effect on Crystal's plans for the franchise (at least as far as mainline entries are concerned - it may well have changed things when it comes to potential spin-offs, remakes or remasters) so the unified timeline thing is still happening.

Last edited by Zebra; 27-01-23 at 00:57.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-23, 20:40   #290
tlr online
Tomb Raider Forums

Quote:
Lots of exciting Tomb Raider news yesterday. And yes — we’re still working away on the anime. Animation takes a long time, y’all, but the wait will be worth it!
https://twitter.com/Tasha3point0/sta...49928442204160
tlr online is offline   Reply With Quote