Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Editor

Old 07-04-21, 10:07   #11
Lwmte

Inverted faces is a common thing to occur, it seems every app's exporter/importer has its own settings for that. As for scale settings, it depends on original model dimensions. In most cases, blender natively uses normalized scale from 0 to 1, so you need to specify scale value of 1024. There is a preset for that called "Normal scale to TR scale".

Importing from other paths than C:\ should work, but probably assimp is having problems again with non-standard symbols in paths. Try to avoid umlauts, accents and other region-specific symbols (although I have no problem with cyrillic symbols in paths).

As for installer vs. zip - installer does a few tricks by choosing certain library versions for you (32-bit or 64-bit). Are you by any chance on 32-bit system? Zip package is intended for 64-bit systems (otherwise you need to manually copy dll file from "Native\32 bit" folder to root TE folder).
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-21, 17:39   #12
Bergus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaniHeger View Post
Uuhh guys so.. It works now???

I think the reason is because I,on Richard's advice, completely deleted Tomb Editor from my computer, and then installed it again. And just like I had problems with mqo above when updating to 1.3.12, I must've had in the past too related to obj! And with problems I mean my nasty anti-virus that deletes stuff even when I say that C:/tomb editor is an exception , and then I would take 'em back or add it again.. Well I do a mess. I'll stick with just the installer from now on, instead of zip files.

Something else that I did was, after uninstalling all Microsoft visual c+ stuff I had, I only downloaded 2005 and 2015-2019, but I wanted to have them all, so I downloaded this guy.

In my first try the cat object was in C:/, and I thought that was what made it work too, but it worked just the same in my downloads folder.

Just tested and the object still doesn't work on strpix tho? Same error as before. (edit: my ver before was rev17 now updated to rev18s seems to work)

Well now that we are past that... What a relief... It seems like the normals are inverted? I can only see the textures from "inside"? (Edit: figured it out! Didn't see the "invert faces" thang down there before...)
-
Trying now with my edits from blender, It works only when the path is straight C:/ which can make progress a little more slow since blender won't save those files in there, doesn't seem to have permission. So I need to save in like my desktop and then move it. Those objects seem to have inverted normals too(edit: again, fixed), but I wouldn't think that it's blender since I didn't touch the cat obj. Inverting V coordinate switches the UV texture position, meaning black, or a mess.

Oh and on the import settings, what settings are recommended? Like in scale for example, 512 seems to work but is it exactly the scale that the WAD add-on from blender does? Would be important if I edit an outfit, I suppose.
if you didn't change the scale option in the addon, you get the correct dimension setting 512. Also you need to invert faces. That's because the normal direction of a face is based on the order of its vertices. It is called winding order. When you export to obj from blender the winding order is counterclockwise while TRLE does the opposite.
Bergus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-21, 18:14   #13
HaniHeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwmte View Post
As for installer vs. zip - installer does a few tricks by choosing certain library versions for you (32-bit or 64-bit). Are you by any chance on 32-bit system? Zip package is intended for 64-bit systems (otherwise you need to manually copy dll file from "Native\32 bit" folder to root TE folder).
64-bit, what I meant by using more the installer from now on is that I had fewer problems with my anti-virus doing like that so, but this trick with the installer could've helped too huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwmte View Post
Try to avoid umlauts, accents and other region-specific symbols (although I have no problem with cyrillic symbols in paths).
Oh.. That explains a lot with "Área de Trabalho"... (deskop in portuguese)
Probably why that cat statue worked on Downloads but not in Área de Trabalho
HaniHeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-21, 08:37   #14
HaniHeger

This problem is a little less related, but I think that here remains the best place to ask so.

I'm testing with editing outfits now, but then:

In WADTool, I load the outfit's WAD, go to Lara_Skin, select her arm, click on export, scale 1 and invert z axis (sometimes I go for X axis instead). When importing I choose the same specifications, and although I didn't do anything with the meshes, this problem with joints is still here!
HaniHeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-21, 13:12   #15
Lwmte

Assimp library messes up vertex order on mesh reimport. Although I tried to deal with this issue, it still doesn't work properly. So unless WT introduces vertex reorder tools, it is not possible to properly import Lara skin (unless you don't use joints) - because tomb4 has hardcoded vertex indices to attach joints to meshes.
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote