www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider 25

Old 13-10-21, 15:58   #191
LNSNHGTDS
Tomb Raider

Rise and Shadow went overboard with collecting ****, and the GPS caches were already an overkill in the first one, but other than that the system is flawless.

With very few exceptions, the overall story still makes sense without the documents. What the documents do is help enrich the plot so they're more like filler. For example, the player doesn't need to know that Alicia, Reyes' daughter, is Roth's to understand the story, but if you find Reyes' letter to Roth it gives you new insight in their relationship.

My favourite overall was probably one in Shadow that detailed an expedition that was apparently cut short by a Bigfoot type creature. It's one of the optional tombs and what makes it even better is that someone (or something~~) is clearly following Lara behind the bushes and trees. That was brilliant and the documents helped flesh out the whole experience.
Old 13-10-21, 16:19   #192
reborninshadow
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
I don't think it's a lazy way to give information. Quite the contrary. It's information that enriches the lore, if the player wants to know more, but it's not crucial to understand the main plot - so it makes sense that it's not mentioned in detail over there, cause otherwise it would be a lot of information to be shown, besides the crucial one that's aready done so. If you want to know more, you have access to that extra information at will

I disagree that documents are too many. Collectibles in general, I agree - stuff like survival caches are reduntant and filler. Documents (and relics), I don't think so and it's something I dearly hope they retain for TR12
I do consider some of that stuff to be almost crucial to the story, for example learning what Ana did to his brother does give quite a bit more depth to the character and while it doesn't technically ruin the story or anything, this type of information should not be kept as an optional thing in my opinion. Another flaw I did not mention before is how sometimes they give away too much information and ruin the "surprise" moments way too early. It is extremely obvious early on that Jacob is the prophet if you bother reading the documents as an example.

If you want to read all the documents, having to find and read a new one every 2 minutes in some sections hurts the pacing and gets too overwhelming and makes me want to skip them but if I do skip them, there is a chance that I will miss an important story piece when 90% of them just give some additional information about the location etc. and are safe to skip. That is why I think there are too many of them. Relics are fun to find because it just gives a little bit of information about the artifact and then you can move on quickly while you have to wait quite a while to read all these documents you keep finding.

Last edited by reborninshadow; 13-10-21 at 16:21.
reborninshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-21, 16:56   #193
Vaskito
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by reborninshadow View Post
I do consider some of that stuff to be almost crucial to the story, for example learning what Ana did to his brother does give quite a bit more depth to the character and while it doesn't technically ruin the story or anything, this type of information should not be kept as an optional thing in my opinion. Another flaw I did not mention before is how sometimes they give away too much information and ruin the "surprise" moments way too early. It is extremely obvious early on that Jacob is the prophet if you bother reading the documents as an example.

If you want to read all the documents, having to find and read a new one every 2 minutes in some sections hurts the pacing and gets too overwhelming and makes me want to skip them but if I do skip them, there is a chance that I will miss an important story piece when 90% of them just give some additional information about the location etc. and are safe to skip. That is why I think there are too many of them. Relics are fun to find because it just gives a little bit of information about the artifact and then you can move on quickly while you have to wait quite a while to read all these documents you keep finding.
What Ana did is irrelevant to the main plotís understanding. Thereís a bad guy, who was hired by an evil organization to get an artifact to help his dying sister. Thatís the information the cinematics provide you and the crucial information in Laraís quesr. You donít miss out on crucial information by not reading them. You only miss out on additional information that explain in much more detail whatís visually presented to you. Him being brainwashed by Ana simply adds more depth to it
Old 13-10-21, 17:16   #194
malferink
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
What Ana did is irrelevant to the main plotís understanding. Thereís a bad guy, who was hired by an evil organization to get an artifact to help his dying sister. Thatís the information the cinematics provide you and the crucial information in Laraís quesr. You donít miss out on crucial information by not reading them. You only miss out on additional information that explain in much more detail whatís visually presented to you. Him being brainwashed by Ana simply adds more depth to it
Ana stabbing her brother's hands is something that should've never been put in the game in the first place tbh
malferink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-21, 18:34   #195
AntRaidsTombs
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by malferink View Post
Ana stabbing her brother's hands is something that should've never been put in the game in the first place tbh
Why not? It just furthers add on how evil she truly was and how she was the main reason her brother was crazy as he was.
Old 13-10-21, 19:17   #196
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntRaidsTombs View Post
Why not? It just furthers add on how evil she truly was and how she was the main reason her brother was crazy as he was.
I mean, as much as I really like Ana and Konstantin as characters and villains, and as much as I overall like RotTR's narrative, that fake stigmata plot point kind of doesn't maky any sort of sense.

I mean, I get it that it is supposed to show that Konstantin's obsession with his own holy mission is based on a lie, and that shows that Ana either is incapable of truly loving anyone, or that these sorts of extreme manipulations is her own twisted way of showing affection, but how the hell do you continuously stab someone on their hands while they are sleeping without ever freaking waking up from the freaking stabbing pain to the point it become a permanent hole on Konstantin's hands?

Honestly, I'm glad that is just in a document and not on a cutscene. Makes it more easy to ignore that part of RotTR's lore.
Old 13-10-21, 19:17   #197
malferink
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntRaidsTombs View Post
If you really believe so, can you provide me a realistic scenario where Ana is able to not only stab one, but two hands of her little brother, without him noticing it was his sister? It's so weirdly convoluted, it doesn't make any sense and it wasn't necessary in the first place. Ana was already an interesting character to me, and I loved the dynamic between her and Lara. I absolutely LOVE the part where Lara doesn't hesitate to shoot her for one second. But the part where she stabs her brother? I'm glad it wasn't in any cutscenes, tho it should never have been included in the first place.

edit: portugalraider beat me to it. he explained it better than I could lol

Last edited by malferink; 13-10-21 at 19:19.
malferink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-21, 19:42   #198
jajay119
Tomb Raider

The documents are fine and work in some contexts, but I don't think they should be the only way of adding detail. I think Lara should keep verbal logs/recordings about things that can happen which you can choose to listen to as you play that expands the background detail. I'd also like to see the headset return but only for crucial story advancement. Legend is CD's best realised story and I honestly think it's due to it being done passively over the headset a lot of the time.
Old 13-10-21, 20:53   #199
.snake.
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
how the hell do you continuously stab someone on their hands while they are sleeping without ever freaking waking up from the freaking stabbing pain to the point it become a permanent hole on Konstantin's hands?
Yeah this. It makes no sense and never did.

But neither does a valley of people with hipster haircuts who speak American English and have remained hidden for centuries. But that's RotTR for you.
.snake. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-21, 21:03   #200
Patrick star
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by .snake. View Post
Yeah this. It makes no sense and never did.

But neither does a valley of people with hipster haircuts who speak American English and have remained hidden for centuries. But that's RotTR for you.
Not gonna argue about the accent, but the game made no effort to tell you the valley was 'hidden'. Quite the contrary actually. It tells you the Soviets made use of the place once they arrived and enslaved its people, there were also many docs in the valley speaking of the Soviet invasion as the latest and most dangerous invasion they've ever had to deal with, meaning their peace was breached many times before in their history.