www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 23-05-19, 21:48   #30691
Daft Raider
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix54 View Post
Adaís story may not be the end all be all for the game, but she ties 1 and 2 together. That part of the game is missing. Nothing else really ties RE1 to RE2 anymore for them remake.
Yep, for me, one of the biggest disappointments from the RE2 remake is how they completely carved out all of the connections and references to RE1, itís a really bizarre choice and odd considering itís a direct sequel. It drives me up the wall how they just ignore and drop Claire trying to find Chris completely after we get to the RPD. All she knows is that ďheís on vacationĒ and we know she doesnít believe that, I was waiting for the dialog at the end of the last cutscene where she says she still has to find her brother, and alas, it was missing. Itís like they wanted this game to be as stand alone as possible, but why?
Old 23-05-19, 21:56   #30692
TrustyBow
Professor

Yeah I was surprised by how fast she dropped her search for Chris. That whole storyline is concluded with an optional note and Claire saying "That doesn't sound like Chris." Even if the title was trying to be standalone, that's just bad writing.
Old 24-05-19, 02:48   #30693
Daft Raider
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
Yeah I was surprised by how fast she dropped her search for Chris. That whole storyline is concluded with an optional note and Claire saying "That doesn't sound like Chris." Even if the title was trying to be standalone, that's just bad writing.
And if you’re playing through Claire’s second run you don’t get any of the interactions with Marvin so you won’t get the piece of information that Chris isn’t even in town! Which leaves the storyline even more incomplete! It’s so ridiculous!
Old 24-05-19, 06:13   #30694
VictorXD
Relic Hunter

While I would have liked a bigger focus on the 'finding Chris storyline' I can see why Capcom didn't care much. It's not anything new and even someone who is new to the franchise knows Chris is alive and well so why bother spending time coming up with dialogue/animating the cutscenes etc. There is zero mystery in it so there's hardly any point in playing up any importance to it. But I also think Capcom's lack of care for Claire's overall portrayal is to blame as well.

Besides, Claire's line is meant to be kind of a foreshowing for CV so maybe Capcom didn't want to include that line not to get our hopes up that a CV remake was coming?

But the remake's storyline is a kind of a mess anyway so I wouldn't worry too much about it. A well acted (well most of the time), directed and aesthetically pleasing mess.

Last edited by VictorXD; 24-05-19 at 06:15.
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-19, 12:42   #30695
sackboy123
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Raider View Post
And if youíre playing through Claireís second run you donít get any of the interactions with Marvin so you wonít get the piece of information that Chris isnít even in town! Which leaves the storyline even more incomplete! Itís so ridiculous!
There's Chris's Diary though which says he's in Europe taking down Umbrella which sets up the events of Code Veronica, reason why she broke into the Paris lab in the first place.
Old 24-05-19, 13:10   #30696
shockwave_pulsar00
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sackboy123 View Post
There's Chris's Diary though which says he's in Europe taking down Umbrella which sets up the events of Code Veronica, reason why she broke into the Paris lab in the first place.
The problem is you can completely miss his letter to Jill and Barry if you don't take the USB badge all the way back to the STARS office. Chris's Diary(which had better information for Claire to go on) was mandatory to aquire in both of her scenarios to continue the game.

It's just such a big hole in the plot.

Last edited by shockwave_pulsar00; 24-05-19 at 13:12.
shockwave_pulsar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-19, 19:26   #30697
VictorXD
Relic Hunter

^ It's not though because you don't need to open the electronic door to read that file to know Chris isn't in RC, since there's a note from Leon right outside that the door telling Claire he isn't missing and that she isn't going to find him there.

It might be unsatisfactory, but it's not a plot hole.
Old 24-05-19, 20:37   #30698
shockwave_pulsar00
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
^ It's not though because you don't need to open the electronic door to read that file to know Chris isn't in RC, since there's a note from Leon right outside that the door telling Claire he isn't missing and that she isn't going to find him there.

It might be unsatisfactory, but it's not a plot hole.
Well two things:

1. How the hell did Leon know Chris wasn't there? The STARS gate is still locked and Chris was talking in code in his letter.

2. Even if she did take Leon at his word... It's still a file you can miss picking up. Ignoring it still means Claire just forgets about her quest for Chris. It only works if you assumed people picked it up and it's still poor writing and a bit of a plot hole. Again, in the original game it is a required pick up.
Old 24-05-19, 21:45   #30699
Daft Raider
Archaeologist

^Right, I missed those documents the first 2 times I played the second runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
While I would have liked a bigger focus on the 'finding Chris storyline' I can see why Capcom didn't care much. It's not anything new and even someone who is new to the franchise knows Chris is alive and well so why bother spending time coming up with dialogue/animating the cutscenes etc. There is zero mystery in it so there's hardly any point in playing up any importance to it. But I also think Capcom's lack of care for Claire's overall portrayal is to blame as well.

Besides, Claire's line is meant to be kind of a foreshowing for CV so maybe Capcom didn't want to include that line not to get our hopes up that a CV remake was coming?

But the remake's storyline is a kind of a mess anyway so I wouldn't worry too much about it. A well acted (well most of the time), directed and aesthetically pleasing mess.
This isn’t a good justification for bad writing. If they’re not concerned with developing this part of the story it shouldn’t have been included in the first place, but it’s an important part of Claire’s story and the main motivation for why she is in the game, so it should have proper closure. Even in the original not much time was spent on it, so I don’t need it to be a big production but it wasn’t half explained in an optional and indirect document that you can miss.

The note Chris leaves is also in code and could go over peoples heads if they’re not familiar with the franchise, and the note left by Leon is just plain lazy and stupid. It would’ve taken less effort to get it right, which is why it’s frustrating.
Old 24-05-19, 22:13   #30700
VictorXD
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwave_pulsar00 View Post
Well two things:

1. How the hell did Leon know Chris wasn't there? The STARS gate is still locked and Chris was talking in code in his letter.
The same way Leon and Claire both find the medallions and open the secret passage two times over. Capcom overlooking their story.
Quote:
2. Even if she did take Leon at his word... It's still a file you can miss picking up. Ignoring it still means Claire just forgets about her quest for Chris. It only works if you assumed people picked it up and it's still poor writing and a bit of a plot hole. Again, in the original game it is a required pick up.
It's lack of care for the storyline but it's still not a plot hole. The game wants you to pick up documents, if we miss it it's our own fault.

Capcom even made sure to have pistol ammo exclusive to the 2nd run right next to the file to make sure we pick it up.

Let's be honest here, the majority of people who played Leon first aren't gonna care about Claire's story unless they are fans. The amount of people who completed Leon's campaign versus Claire's already proves this.

It might be poor writing and not caring about her story but it is still not a plot hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Raider View Post
^Right, I missed those documents the first 2 times I played the second runs.

This isnít a good justification for bad writing. If theyíre not concerned with developing this part of the story it shouldnít have been included in the first place, but itís an important part of Claireís story and the main motivation for why she is in the game, so it should have proper closure. Even in the original not much time was spent on it, so I donít need it to be a big production but it wasnít half explained in an optional and indirect document that you can miss.

The note Chris leaves is also in coude and cold go over peoples heads if theyíre not familiar with the franchise, and the note left by Leon is just plain lazy and stupid. It wouldíve taken less effort to get it right, which is why itís frustrating.
Of course it's not justification for bad writing, I'm just saying I can why Capcom chose not to focus on it too much. Besides, there is a lot of missing background info in the game when we really look into it. Why did Irons want the pendant? If he only needed the pendant why kidnap Sherry in the first place and not simply steal it? Why does Annette say goodbye to Sherry even though she just mentioned her lab?

I'm not saying I'm not frustrated with the way they handled it, I'm saying it's understandable in a cost efficient manner.