Old 24-05-19, 23:56   #501
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
[img]https://i.imgur.com/udg]
Quote:
No. People still want Lara to be "realistic" and "relatable" which can only ever be interpreted to mean:

[img]https://i.imgur.cog]

LIVING for your petty bluntness on this page haha

God that second one is tragic. Completely pathetic compared to the original character.

I don't want relatability, I want fun escapism thanks. I don't know why we can't have that as a generation, the way our parents' and other older generations could have it.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 24-05-19 at 23:57.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-19, 00:18   #502
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, Lara’s relatability should only come from any coincidental traits you and her share. I relate to classic Lara because we have a similar humor, dryness, and a love for adventure (this one goes for reboot Lara too of course). There’s more reasons, but that’s a start. That relatability comes because we coincidentally have something in common, making her “relatable”, and I can enjoy her more.

If you have a character so ridiculously bland and boring with no flavor, and all for the sake of trying your hardest to make her relatable to everyone, you lose a chance at an interesting character. I’m not saying reboot Lara is bland or any of that, so don’t take it as a shady comment, but I’m saying I think they should take risks with her character and do things that they’re unsure of the reception for.

In my own honest opinion, reboot Lara has a lot of potential and is pretty good as she is, but she lacks the inspiration and awesome factor classic Lara gives and shows. I know others don’t agree and like her as she is, but she needs work for me to be totally content.

Last edited by NoahCrofRaider; 25-05-19 at 00:20.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-19, 08:23   #503
_Seth
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahCrofRaider View Post
I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, Lara’s relatability should only come from any coincidental traits you and her share. I relate to classic Lara because we have a similar humor, dryness, and a love for adventure (this one goes for reboot Lara too of course). There’s more reasons, but that’s a start. That relatability comes because we coincidentally have something in common, making her “relatable”, and I can enjoy her more.
Definitely, I've always felt this. Like how DmC 2013's Dante starts off being a wicked sick power fantasy, then soon enough he opens up about being a loner type with trust issues, that bit being relatable means so much more than if they made him an "every man" like Nathan Drake. At the end when he doubts who he is anymore, it has way more impact than if he was emotionally doubtful for the first 75% of the game. Same applies to Lara in Cradle of Life - she's cool, likeable and badass, someone who you want to be like, then when she's speechless, teary and at an motional disadvantage at the end with Terry, the impact again is so much stronger.

So yes, I like my characters to be a power fantasy where some of their personality traits happen to align with mine, and that being what makes them relatable is perfect.
Old 25-05-19, 09:19   #504
Grimaldi
Professor

Quote:
So yes, I like my characters to be a power fantasy where some of their personality traits happen to align with mine, and that being what makes them relatable is perfect.
Funnily enough, that’s why I like reboot Lara. I find her to be a power fantasy but with personality quirks that are either relatable or endearing.
Old 25-05-19, 11:22   #505
biscuits
Professor

DmC Dante was anything but a power fantasy. He was disgusting, gross, edgy, and cringeworthy. No wonder they went back to old Dante. The rebooted Dante was a living abortion.
Old 25-05-19, 13:21   #506
Lyle Croft
Professor

Classic Lara is more relatable cause she has a resting bitch face and she reminds me of the bitchy gays!! Spilling tea and shade.

Now if I absolutely truly wanted Lara to be relatable, I would have started going to group therapy and reading self help books.
Old 25-05-19, 22:17   #507
veigafd
Archaeologist

I don't think Lara needs to relatable anymore, of course, just with the story and villains. But I think Lara is in the same league as characters like mario and crash. They don't need big stories to make success, they just need to be cool and smart and interact with the enviroment/levels around them.
That's why I think that the classics remasters would give us a glimpse of how well would they hold what did make Lara successful today
Old 29-05-19, 11:28   #508
Red Master FFX
Historian

My short idea: Lara as a teenager (14 years old as Ellie or 16).

- Personality: Tough character, wild, beauty, curious, green-eyed, long redhead hair or just brown, tail-tied hair. Of course some modern outfit but more as short jeans, any kind of shorts, black top+red, glasses where it is very sunny, light shoes, next-gen phone.

- Location: Egypt, secret jungle in Africa, London, North Pole, Some deep, huge and mystery cave.

- Vehicles: Lara's Bike, Camel, Helicopter, Kanu, Jeep. Yes, I know she is just 16

- Gameplay and story: Really deep story about her, about mystery, dark settings as AOD, Lara's behavior - badass as classics. CD, add kicks and combat acrobatics to her skills. BRING BACK THE DUALS! Add machete, grenades, smoke, Kalashnikov, laser gun and Bazuka.
The game could start with Lara lost in Egypt as a kid. Then the bad guys/organization start to pursue her because she had found some kind of UFO element in Egypt about the creation of the world. She is brave enough to escape from them and she realizes what this could be for the world. She starts looking for answers and she understands that there are more of those elements around the world.
She has a best friend with the name Jessica. Jessica died in some part of the game. Lara goes super angry and you know...

Platforms: PS5, Xbox 2, PC, Switch 2.
Release: 2021

Thank you, Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics!!!

Last edited by Red Master FFX; 30-05-19 at 09:50.
Red Master FFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-19, 23:39   #509
\Tomb Raider/
Archaeologist

Shadow Lara

fixed hair. Too puffy.

A deadlier and more mean Lara with a light side as well.

A loner no more side quest partners.

Strong looking. Give her muscle tone
Old 11-06-19, 14:09   #510
Pofsenc
Hobbyist

I get that they couldn't pull this one off this generation, but for the love of god, use this concept art for next-gen Tomb Raider games. It's not like this is fan-made; they know how to design a good face for Lara.
Pofsenc is offline   Reply With Quote