www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Rise of the Tomb Raider

Old 21-01-20, 02:24   #1
Kapu
Professor

Default Swimming in this game is stupid

Just came here to complain about how bad I think the swimming in this game is. It's 2015 all we can do is swim below the surface? Not to mention the game giving you unlimited air pretty much immediately and taking away any challenge in holding your breath.

I always thought the swimming was stupid, but when Shadow came out and gave us full underwater exploration, it really made the swimming in Rise that much more pitiful. It's like, why did we have this stupid stepping stone in between no underwater gameplay (TR2013) and full underwater gameplay (SoTR)?

Anyone else feel annoyed by the faux underwater sections?
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-20, 03:30   #2
SnatchingEdges
Historian

I don't, I see water sections in Rise mostly as part of the stealth mechanic while in Shadow belongs to puzzles and exploration.
Old 21-01-20, 06:59   #3
Grizzly Bear
Archaeologist

Honestly, we can swim even too much I would say in Rise, considering she has to swim in the freezing waters of Syberia

Every time I made her swim I could almost feel her blood becoming more and more dense and condensing into a gel...

Last edited by Grizzly Bear; 21-01-20 at 21:41.
Grizzly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-20, 11:56   #4
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

I think it was spot on on the pressure side and limited air (in the first half of the game).
However the fact we wouldn't be allow to properly swim underwater is not understandable and really frustrating, especially if we take the past of the franchise into consideration.
First time I heard the "only used for stealth mechanic" theory. Seems quite true ! Finally an answer for this weird move. Somehow an heresy to reduce the swimming mechanic to this though.

Last edited by Chamayoo; 21-01-20 at 11:58.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-20, 13:51   #5
Samz
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
Just came here to complain about how bad I think the swimming in this game is. It's 2015 all we can do is swim below the surface? Not to mention the game giving you unlimited air pretty much immediately and taking away any challenge in holding your breath.

I always thought the swimming was stupid, but when Shadow came out and gave us full underwater exploration, it really made the swimming in Rise that much more pitiful. It's like, why did we have this stupid stepping stone in between no underwater gameplay (TR2013) and full underwater gameplay (SoTR)?

Anyone else feel annoyed by the faux underwater sections?
I just kind of accepted that Crystal Dynamics have no intention of actually improving the rebot by that point.
Old 21-01-20, 15:52   #6
Maverin
Archaeologist

I don't mind it all that much. I remember feeling disappointed about the removal of swimming in TR2013 when it first came out. But looking back at it, I don't even miss it all that much. I'm glad it gradually returned though. Tomb Raider is better with it.
Old 21-01-20, 19:09   #7
dg1995
Historian

I was also disappointed by it.

It also made me feel that they made some underwater parts in a way to show in the trailers that to trick gamers into believing that "Underwater swimming is back!".

While in reality swimming was so limited compare to all the TR games before 2013.(Fortunately shadow brought it back. Even though that Shadow's swimming wasn't perfect it was much better that the one in Rise.)
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-20, 20:03   #8
Rai

I was initially disappointed that the swimming was limited to just under the surface with no real exploration, but I do agree with SnatchingEdges in that it worked as an extension to stealth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnatchingEdges View Post
I don't, I see water sections in Rise mostly as part of the stealth mechanic while in Shadow belongs to puzzles and exploration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Bear View Post
Honestly, we can swim even too much I would say in Rise, considering she has to swim in the freezing waters of Syberia

Every rime I made her swim I could almost feel her blood becoming more and more dense and condensing into a gel...
I know! Honestly I feel cold just thinking about it. My main disappointment was not being able to get up on the ice sheets floating on the water in geothermal valley.
Old 22-01-20, 03:39   #9
JoelCaesar
Archaeologist

The Rise swimming method makes it so much easier to stealth kill enemies compared to Shadow where it gets finicky.
Old 22-01-20, 14:05   #10
Maverin
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelCaesar View Post
The Rise swimming method makes it so much easier to stealth kill enemies compared to Shadow where it gets finicky.
I always thought it to be a little overpowered in Rise. You basically get a scripted free kill.

Whereas in Shadow you have to be more careful as other mercenaries around will spot you easier and you don't stay put in a very limited space.