www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 12-07-19, 17:25   #30751
Grizzly Bear
Archaeologist

I've been playing more Resident Evil games: RE remake and RE4, RE0 is next!

I'm glad that I "discovered" that I really like this series, even if I'm a bit late!
However, it's so amazing that I can play the whole main series on ps4, Capcom has done a great job in releasing all those games again on the latest consoles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
If you want something more modern, I would try RE7. I only recently got into the series, but thats what got me hooked.
I had a similar situation but with RE2, but then I played RE7 and I loved that, too.

Last edited by Grizzly Bear; 12-07-19 at 17:30.
Grizzly Bear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-19, 10:03   #30752
DragonSlayer
Professor

Has anyone here had dreams about Resident Evil?

I had a peculiar one last night, I was being chased through the RPD by a version of Mr X he was as tall as Slenderman when he moved, he moved like an Enderman from Minecraft for some reason he looked like Phoebe from Friends and when he laughed he cackled like a witch.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-19, 11:01   #30753
RAID
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara_Fan1 View Post
I donít want Capcom to get stuck in a rut where people are only interested in them doing remakes. Iím happy for them to move forward for the time being with Resident Evil 8, I want something new from them whether itís a new revelation game, a new spin-off series or the main franchise.
I'd rather they get stuck in the past doing remakes rather than giving us another bust that was RE7.
Old 13-07-19, 18:24   #30754
DragonSlayer
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAID View Post
I'd rather they get stuck in the past doing remakes rather than giving us another bust that was RE7.
RE7 was not a bust it was and is a significant improvement over the major up that was RE6 after the disaster that was RE5 Capcom said that they had learned their lesson and that RE6 would be more like the old school Resident Evil games and we all know how that turned out.

Resident Evil is not about globe trotting while fighting skyscraper sized monsters with a fighter jet or crash landing airplanes in China while Ada for whatever reason is in a submarine while Jake and Sherry fight a not very scary Nemesis clone and let's not forget Leon and Helena fighting a guy who turned into a T-Rex and a giant insect.

Resident Evil 6 tried to be too many things in trying to cater to all Resident Evil fans and the game suffers for it Leon's campaign was meant to be like the old school Resident Evil games and failed due to it not being scary which the old games were.

Jake and Sherry's campaign wasn't that great the snowmobile and motorbike sections were boring, Chris's campaign was also not that great it's hard to be scared by enemies that mutate and grow ostrich legs and start jumping about the place and Ada's entire campaign was just unnecessary filler.

RE7 dialed down the globetrotting and way too over the top unnecessary action scenes and is all the better for it, in doing so it offers a more focused plot and better gameplay experience and switching to first person view was a good idea by limiting the point of view of the player created some genuinely scary moments when an enemy would creep up on you without you realising it or when you had to run from an enemy having to run and not know where he was due to the limited point of view created some tense and nerve wracking moments, that was also one of my favourite parts of the original Bioshock when you would enter a room and see what you thought was a statue in the corner of a room suddenly and silently appear behind you when you turn around.

The 360 degree view in RE6 removed any tension from the game knowing where an enemy was at all times, RE6 should have been called Michael Bay the game with all the excessive amount of action in the game.

Last edited by DragonSlayer; 13-07-19 at 18:25.
Old 13-07-19, 18:39   #30755
JsotoTRSaga
Relic Hunter

Resident Evil 6 was pretty awful... I think the years 2009-2013 were pretty awful for Capcom and specially Resident Evil, all games that where released by that time all are mediocre Resident Evil games (The RE5-RE6-REV1 period). And let's forget about the time Raccoon City should have stayed nuked with ORC.

Thank God the series is back on track... REV2 is a nice attempt but RE7 and RE2 are masterpieces. The 2 most recent entries in the series have truly nailed it and I can't wait for R3make.

Last edited by JsotoTRSaga; 13-07-19 at 18:43.
JsotoTRSaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-19, 19:07   #30756
RAID
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSlayer View Post
RE7 was not a bust it was and is a significant improvement
I'm not arguing that RE6 was a massive let down in terms of RE feel and horror, but just because RE7 was 'horror' focused, doesn't make it any better. And I'm being generous by using the word horror. Because to me, jump scares and a-holes getting close to the camera is not horror.

-The story is a total mess that doesn't even make any sense.
-The floating camera/main character has the personality of a sponge.
-The enemies are laughable. Especially the hillbilly theme, WTF was that all about?
-The characters could have been played by cardboards as they had no personality whatsoever.
-Aaaaaaand... Not a Hero DLC went back to action and mindless CoD BS. So I guess, the 'horror' was just a phase...

If I were one of the developers, I would take it off my resume.

Thankfully, they have redeemed with REmake2. Apology accepted Capcom. Just make sure to never pull another RE7 ever again!

Last edited by RAID; 13-07-19 at 19:10.
RAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-19, 20:48   #30757
DragonSlayer
Professor

Quote:
I'm not arguing that RE6 was a massive let down in terms of RE feel and horror, but just because RE7 was 'horror' focused, doesn't make it any better. And I'm being generous by using the word horror. Because to me, jump scares and a-holes getting close to the camera is not horror.

-The story is a total mess that doesn't even make any sense.
-The enemies are laughable. Especially the hillbilly theme, WTF was that all about?
-The characters could have been played by cardboards as they had no personality whatsoever.
-Aaaaaaand... Not a Hero DLC went back to action and mindless CoD BS. So I guess, the 'horror' was just a phase...

If I were one of the developers, I would take it off my resume.

Thankfully, they have redeemed with REmake2. Apology accepted Capcom. Just make sure to never pull another RE7 ever again!
I suspect that the Not a Hero DLC was made specifically for those whose first introduction to Resident Evil was either RE5 or RE6 who may not like how little way too over the top Michael Bay action wasn't in the main game.

Why else would Capcom make a main game that's more like the old school Resident Evil games then make a more action oriented DLC, the worst part about Not a Hero is playing on hard difficulty because the only weapon you start with is a knife, I forget who it was that said never bring a knife to a gun fight, it might have been Colonel O'Neill on Stargate SG-1 it sounds like something he would say.

Whoever thought that it was a good idea to start a DLC with only a knife as a weapon in a game where there are plenty of guns available to kill bad guys should be shot.

End of Zoe on hard is no picnic either I've made it all the way to the end of that DLC but that guy keeps beating me to death, I have yet to unlock the infinite ammo in the main game but once I do I'm hoping that the infinite ammo will somehow become available in the DLC unlikely I know I just want to blast him with the shotgun, punches seem to have very little effect on the final boss.
Old 13-07-19, 21:32   #30758
Lord Lulu
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSlayer View Post
RE7 was not a bust it was and is a significant improvement over the major up that was RE6 after the disaster that was RE5 Capcom said that they had learned their lesson and that RE6 would be more like the old school Resident Evil games and we all know how that turned out.
I still like Resident Evil 5. And I have been playing since Resident Evil Directors Cut on the PS1. It really is not as bad as some make it out to be. But it was going in the wrong direction.

It was Resident evil 6 that broke the series for me. Jill should have been the one to come for Chris. And have a happy ending together.
Old 13-07-19, 22:12   #30759
rewak
Professor

You'll never please everyone, some people think RE5 is the best in the series, some think the classics, some only like RE4, etc etc. That's not a bad thing though, it's actually kinda great, because the series has reached a far bigger audience than any other horror franchise by experimenting with styles.
rewak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-19, 00:54   #30760
TrustyBow
Professor

Quote:
I assumed this was the point, as it helped make the game more immersive.