www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 02-01-20, 20:19   #31741
dcw123
Relic Hunter

I think the issue (like a lot of modern movies ans games) they have to dumb everything down for the newbies..
Everything has to be spelled out, obvious, in your face.. just incase those less intelligent players miss anything.

Same goes for gameplay and handholding - they don't trust players to do things on their own.
Its really sad.. a mature rated game shouldn't be treating us like we're 5 yrs old
(Tomb Raider since Legend, RE2 remake) etc etc

I miss the days of games like Silent Hill 2 - where the puzzles and story was a massive mind screw..
If you got stuck.. look at a walkthrough.
Sadly most gamers these days would just rage quit and blame the game giving it a bad review
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-20, 23:40   #31742
jajay119
Tomb Raider

I think it's one thing to make it more evident or dumbed down but it should be done properly. Ada, I can somewhat forgive but Irons' new personlity and motivation is just bad. It's clearly been done for shock value but doesn't really work for me. Plus, I liked the idea of him doing his dirty business right under the nose of the RPD staff more. I'd also be more forgiving if they did it with everything but the relationships between other characters and reasoning for certain events was wore than before.
Old 03-01-20, 16:40   #31743
noonbob
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw123 View Post
I think the issue (like a lot of modern movies ans games) they have to dumb everything down for the newbies..
Everything has to be spelled out, obvious, in your face.. just incase those less intelligent players miss anything.

Same goes for gameplay and handholding - they don't trust players to do things on their own.
Its really sad.. a mature rated game shouldn't be treating us like we're 5 yrs old
(Tomb Raider since Legend, RE2 remake) etc etc

I miss the days of games like Silent Hill 2 - where the puzzles and story was a massive mind screw..
If you got stuck.. look at a walkthrough.
Sadly most gamers these days would just rage quit and blame the game giving it a bad review
Soo true! As if the infinite and regular checkpoints are not enough.
I do not know how these kids/teens would cope playing a PS1 game.

The ratings on games are irrelevant nowadays.
Mature rating simply means swearing, violence, gore, nudity, sexual content. Nothing to do with how challenging it may be
noonbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-20, 19:02   #31744
dg1995
Historian

Don't get you guys since ps1 TR games allowed you to save everywhere.(You could save before every jumping section.)

Resident Evil games were also pretty easy. One of the main reasons that RE has always been so successful was due to how easy the games are.
None of the RE games are half as difficult as Megaman games . Even God Hand is a far more difficult game than RE games.
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-20, 19:15   #31745
Samz
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1995 View Post
Don't get you guys since ps1 TR games allowed you to save everywhere.(You could save before every jumping section.)

Resident Evil games were also pretty easy. One of the main reasons that RE has always been so successful was due to how easy the games are.
None of the RE games are half as difficult as Megaman games . Even God Hand is a far more difficult game than RE games.
Only TR 2, 4 and Chronicles.

I'd say Resident evil 3 on Hard mode was pretty difficult. (mostly due to the dodge being an unuseful thing.)
Old 03-01-20, 21:01   #31746
dg1995
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
Only TR 2, 4 and Chronicles.

I'd say Resident evil 3 on Hard mode was pretty difficult. (mostly due to the dodge being an unuseful thing.)
TR 1 and 3 also allowed it. I've played them on PC.

Also majority of TR 1 and 3 you should just memorize the whole levels and the places of booby traps.
They weren't really difficult.

Resident Evil 3 on hard was easy majority of the times I only felt that it was difficult in 1 section. At the hospital section I made a mistake and saved the game after that mistake which resulted in me having a harder time than I should have.
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-20, 21:02   #31747
Grizzly Bear
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1995 View Post

You're right but I think they meant puzzles specifically, I wish games in general would bring back complex puzzles again, but listening to people it looks like I'm the only one who like games puzzles-focused...
Grizzly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-20, 23:39   #31748
Lord Lulu
Explorer

Resident Evil 3 seemed rather difficult to me. Especially when going for the Nemesis kills. It is a game you need a plan for and stick with it. Otherwise you just make things harder.

I may finally get to play Resident Evil 2 remake next week. My graphics card was just to old. Going from a GTX 660 to a GTX 1660. I'm going to have them put in more RAM just in case.
Old 04-01-20, 03:45   #31749
shockwave_pulsar00
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Lulu View Post
I may finally get to play Resident Evil 2 remake next week. My graphics card was just to old. Going from a GTX 660 to a GTX 1660. I'm going to have them put in more RAM just in case.
I have a Nvidia GTX 1060 6gb, so your new card should be fine. I play with a lot of effects turned up high and the game still runs pretty smooth. When you go into the display options, don't be afraid of the game saying you are using more settings than your ram can handle, because the RE engine is pretty well optimized (minus clothing/hair physics and screen space reflections).
Old 04-01-20, 14:20   #31750
trfan16
Archaeologist

The gameplay in RE2 Remake was dumbed down? If anything, the puzzles and enemies were harder than OG RE2. The hardest puzzle in OG RE2 was pushing two switches to move a bookshelf, with the solution being 1 screen away. Also, the game throws so much ammo at you that you can kill every monster once you get to the RPD. Hell, just kill Mr. X every time you see him and you will get back more bullets than you wasted to kill him. One thing RE2 Remake does make easier though is that the map shows all the items you missed in rooms you've already entered. Although I don't necessarily mind this feature because I like going back to the RPD and collecting all the items I missed while being chased by Mr. X.

I agree about all the changes to the story and characters though in the remake. I didn't like how they removed the mysteriousness surrounding Ada's character. Her posing as an FBI agent in RE2 Remake just makes her look suspicious from the start. The cutscene between Ben and Leon infuriates me as well. I don't really mind the change to Ben's character, but I hate how Leon doesn't want to help him just because Ben was calling Irons' a traitor. Even if Leon didn't know Irons' was working with Umbrella at the time, why not help Ben escape from the cell since he was one of the few survivors left? He was willing to help all the other survivors up to that point.
trfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote