www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 06-09-19, 15:29   #5021
Robwood
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephasjames View Post
All you're saying is that if anything is planned in advance of making the game then it must be put in the main game. Period.
Almost. What I've said is that If it's planned for the game, then they need to make it and when everything is completed and finished, sell it all at once. One game, one purchase. There's no Main Game, just The Game.

Quote:
Even if the thing planned is additional content that by design is supposed to be additional content, not main content.
If you read my plate analogy again, you'll find that the only real additional content is that which is delivered outside of the game: booklets, art plates, statues, bottle cap openers, et cetera. Within the game itself, there's no such thing as "main" content and "additional" content; that's a marketing ploy designed to stiff the customer for more money.

Quote:
DLC either must not exist or it must only be designed and created after the main game is complete and released.
No, it must be sold with the game at the time of release, no either/or. In that regard, DLC couldn't and wouldn't exist. DLC is a concept designed to milk customers for more money so that the higher ups in the companies can line their wallets with more money; that money never goes to the developers.

Quote:
Doing it any other way is bad business and is screwing the customer. That's your view on all DLC according to your plate theory.
No. My view is that the practice that they're engaged in now, while good for business, is anti-customer.

Quote:
That is an opinion to have, but its one based on the conspiracy that all gaming companies are out to screw the customer, not on smart business practices.
Well that came out of nowhere. Who said anything about a conspiracy? This is what they're doing, and as is being proven right now, screwing the customer is the smart business practice. I trust, though, that when you say "all gaming companies" what you really mean is just the AAA industry, as that's what my plate analogy is focused on.

Quote:
Part of the idea behind dlcs is to get people to keep playing a game long after initial release despite there being are a lot of games out there vying for attention. There's a window for keeping people's attention. Wait too long and that window closes. Because of that window, dlc need to be released in a timely manner.
Why do they want us to keep playing after they have our money? The games industry created that window, not the customers. They want us to keep playing so that we'll keep paying. That's a good business model for a free to play game, but an unacceptable one for a pay to play game. You make it, you sell it, we buy all of it at once, the end. Take your money and funnel it into the next project.

Quote:
Planning and working on content before the main game is released does not mean that it must be part of the main game.
You're right, it means that it's part of the product and that when the game is released that it's unfinished. They sell it to us at full price anyway, though.

Quote:
There are only two solutions to your plate theory concerning dlc. 1) No dlc. Ever. (Which, btw, did you buy Shadow's dlc? Seems like if you did you'd be supporting their nefarious practices).
1. Yes. With it being sold with the game, as it should be, it can't be called DLC and therefore the concept of DLC itself would be dead.

2. I've stated elsewhere that I've bought two S-Word P-Words: those for Batman: Arkham Knight and Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I didn't buy them blindly. I didn't like the concept, but in order to truly understand why it was no good, I had to experience it for myself. Now that I have the necessary education under my belt, I will no longer be buying incomplete products. I was about to get the GotY Spider-Man until I found out that the disc didn't contain the entire game. Now Spider-Man will continue to go without my money until the developer/publisher gets it right.

Quote:
Or 2) DLC must only come into concept and creation after the main game is released, meaning, for a game like Shadow, the dlc will either be small or it will come a year+ after the initial release of the main game at which point the game's window may have already closed.
No, that's not a solution at all; it's a gimmick to weasel more money out of the customer for a product that they've sold, or have decided afterward to sell, incompletely.

Quote:
Your plate theory only holds up for games where it has been proven that content has been cut from the game (which is different than planning in advance) and then sold as dlc. It's mere conspiracy to think that what all dlc is.
Not really. The content is still cut; whether mentally or physically is merely splitting hairs.

Do you know what Super Mario World would look like if it were being sold today? You'd get a handful of overworld areas, a mushroom power up, and the rest would be sold to you in pieces, whether cut from the game during or after planning. Want the feather? That'll be a dollar, please. Extra lives? They'll be 50¢ apiece! (Of course, you don't need power ups to beat the game; they're optional!) Stages would be doled out for extra cash, but if you buy the S-Word P-Word, then not only will you get them, but you'll also have access to a new level that others won't: Star Road! And after you're done with that, you'll be able to buy the bonus Secret Stage! Man, that Bowser guy is tough, isn't he? And he's not very fair with the drop rate of those mechakoopas. For a couple of bucks more, we'll increase your ammo supply! Oh, and guess what? We now have this game with a Halloween theme! More money, please!

Now which system would you rather buy into: the one that sells you the entire game at once or that stupidity up there in the previous paragraph? Because the latter is what's happening today. I don't know where you got this conspiracy idea from, so I can't comment on it, but I can say that my plate analogy is apt.

Last edited by Robwood; 06-09-19 at 20:04.
Robwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-19, 15:59   #5022
Cat Woman
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
DLC8 may or may not come as a free bonus to the SP. But it probably will be included in the DE.

Now, if DLC8 is not free with the season pass, but cost a little extra (price depending on content) I don't think I'd mind that. I got everything I already paid for. IF the DE works out at approx the same or a little less than what the Croft Edition is currently, it is meant to work as a special offer - to entice anyone who hasn't bought the game yet. The game is not a new release, but a year old. Should they hike the price up to whatever the CE was upon original release? Imo, of course not. I think that would upset a lot of people.

Now hopefully DLC8 will be a free bonus with the SP, but if not, I won't be mad. Just my penny's worth.
Hopefully the SP will include the DLC8 (if it is ever released. lol). But, I got everything I was expecting when I purchased the SP so I’m happy. If I have to pay extra just for the additional content, then I will. (Note: I don’t think I would repurchase the same game just to get the additional DLC8 though.). On re-consideration though, if a new TR is not released for several years;then, I might change my mind as the price should be a lot cheaper.
Old 06-09-19, 16:09   #5023
MelikeLara
Professor

By rights a definitive edition is usually the same price as the standard edition was when first released? So up to £49.99 UK, or usually a bit less at £39.99 to encourage sales. I don't know why anyone would think it'd be expensive like 79.99 or 100+, that'd be stupid of SE
Old 06-09-19, 16:18   #5024
Slambam27
Hobbyist

Can you imagine if they were waiting until all hype died in here about dlc 8 and THEN released it as a way to try and still 'surprise' us when we all know there is nothing to be surprised about anymore.
Old 06-09-19, 16:21   #5025
Robwood
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelikeLara View Post
By rights a definitive edition is usually the same price as the standard edition was when first released?
Pretty much, which means that everyone who buys Season Passes overpays.
Old 06-09-19, 16:26   #5026
SoraSakai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robwood View Post
Pretty much, which means that everyone who buys Season Passes overpays.
No. Because the definitive edition is releasing an entire year later. None of that stuff is brand new anymore.
SoraSakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-19, 16:28   #5027
Tomb Raidering
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
No. Because the definitive edition is releasing an entire year later. None of that stuff is brand new anymore.
This...

It’ll be cheap b/c it’s old news
Old 06-09-19, 16:28   #5028
Yuna´s Wish
Tomb Raider

Don't buy games on their release dates. Problem solved. Money saved.

Gaming isn't cheap. Plus it's an era of strong competition, uneven pricing and discounts policies, patches, DLCs, and Definitive Editions.

If you aren't happy with those rules, just wait until your desired game stops being expensive and make your move.
Old 06-09-19, 16:29   #5029
Tomb Raidering
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuna´s Wish View Post
Don't buy games on their release dates. Problem solved. Money saved.

Gaming isn't cheap. Plus it's an era of strong competition, uneven pricing and discounts policies, patches, DLCs, and Definitive Editions.

If you aren't happy with those rules, just wait until your desired game stops being expensive and make your move.
Just like the movie industry
Old 06-09-19, 16:41   #5030
Robwood
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
If they can sell the completed game one year later at the same price as the uncompleted game, then yes. Newness is irrelevant.