www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III > The Lost Artifact

Old 13-07-22, 14:08   #1
Jathom95
Archaeologist

Default Question about TLA levels

Hey everyone. So a quick question for anyone who's ever actually played TLA before.

You might've seen one of my posts somewhere else about finding a new copy of it recently. This will be the first time I've ever actually had it, as I was never able to find it in the past.

Something I can't figure out though just reading online. Most sources mention TLA being referred to as the equivalent of the Gold releases for the TR1 and 2. But others refer to it as a standalone product. I'm so confused. My understanding is that it's just the six levels contained in the expansion itself, not the main game bundled with it as in 1 and 2. Is that right, or am I misunderstanding?

Thanks in advance!
Old 13-07-22, 14:22   #2
HarleyCroft
Professor

From what I remember it's just the six levels, plus Lara's TR3 mansion. What's weird is the back of my box says 5 new levels, like the last one is supposed to be a secret or something

Have fun finding the Lost Artifact It really is a hidden Gem from the classic era
Old 13-07-22, 14:25   #3
Jathom95
Archaeologist

Thanks for answering, good to know! And I will.
Old 13-07-22, 15:01   #4
ATombRaiderFan
Explorer

I was lucky enough to get my copy on Amazon about 10 years ago, it came with 2 discs, one each for TR3 and Lost Artifact. I wouldn't say Lost Artifact is an expansion because you don't need the TR3 files to play it.

Have you opened your copy or are you keeping it sealed, Jathom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft View Post
What's weird is the back of my box says 5 new levels, like the last one is supposed to be a secret or something
Some versions of the manual gives a story summary for the first five levels, I'm guessing the sixth is not included so to avoid spoiling the player with what happens on the last level.
Old 13-07-22, 15:34   #5
Jathom95
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATombRaiderFan View Post
I was lucky enough to get my copy on Amazon about 10 years ago, it came with 2 discs, one each for TR3 and Lost Artifact. I wouldn't say Lost Artifact is an expansion because you don't need the TR3 files to play it.

Have you opened your copy or are you keeping it sealed, Jathom?

Some versions of the manual gives a story summary for the first five levels, I'm guessing the sixth is not included so to avoid spoiling the player with what happens on the last level.
Ah, I see. I mainly referred to it as an expansion because that's what other articles online refer to it as.

Haven't decided yet actually. I know for collecting purposes it always has more worth staying sealed. But I've never actually even played TLA before, so there's that (I know there's... other... methods of being able to play it, but I don't like to go that route personally.) And it seems as though we're never getting a digital re-release of the gold levels either.

Not to mention, most of my collection is open box/case anyway, because I've played them all at one time or another. I keep my collection in pristine condition, so they look as good as they possibly can. But for me, as much as I love looking at what I've acquired, getting enjoyment from actually playing them is half the fun for me too.

Last edited by Jathom95; 13-07-22 at 15:37.
Jathom95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-22, 16:57   #6
ATombRaiderFan
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jathom95 View Post
Ah, I see. I mainly referred to it as an expansion because that's what other articles online refer to it as.

Haven't decided yet actually. I know for collecting purposes it always has more worth staying sealed. But I've never actually even played TLA before, so there's that (I know there's... other... methods of being able to play it, but I don't like to go that route personally.) And it seems as though we're never getting a digital re-release of the gold levels either.

Not to mention, most of my collection is open box/case anyway, because I've played them all at one time or another. I keep my collection in pristine condition, so they look as good as they possibly can. But for me, as much as I love looking at what I've acquired, getting enjoyment from actually playing them is half the fun for me too.
Well I'm glad you're taking an interest because Lost Artifact is probably the most forgotten game in the Tomb Raider franchise. Whichever way you choose to play it, I would recommend checking out the manual shared on Stella's website because it contains interesting plot information that you won't necessarily learn while playing the game, on pages 3 & 9-13.

My collection of Tomb Raider games are all opened and used as well, classics and LAU, but I hold onto them mainly for nostalgic reasons even though I have digital copies for most of them.
Old 13-07-22, 17:36   #7
CheshireBitch
Archaeologist

I think it was a stand alone in USA with a big box and it was a 2 CD release in DVD case with original TR3 in Europe. So that's why it's so confusing.
CheshireBitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-22, 18:21   #8
Jathom95
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireBitch View Post
I think it was a stand alone in USA with a big box and it was a 2 CD release in DVD case with original TR3 in Europe. So that's why it's so confusing.
That actually does explain a lot!

I think another source of confusion too is that back in the day, unlike the two previous games and their gold versions, the extra levels from TLA were never made freely available to existing owners either. It was always sold as its own thing.
Old 13-07-22, 20:04   #9
.snake.
Professor

I have the UK Premiere Collection and in that edition itís both TR3 and TLA together, but on two disks. Strangely enough, if you listen to Philip Campbell talk in the stream Ash did, he himself also thought it was just five levels and it took perpetual pressing from the others to remind him that itís 6. The second level Willardís Lair was meant to be a part of the first level but both had to be split for size reasons, which is why even the devs often remember it as being 5.

Honestly my biggest issue with the description on the back of the box is that it mentions the Paris catacombs when that isnít possible since Laraís at the coast of France by the Channel. Core and their terrible geography.

Also Jathom how have you never played TLA? Blasphemy. Get on that right now!!!
.snake. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-22, 20:45   #10
Jathom95
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by .snake. View Post
Also Jathom how have you never played TLA? Blasphemy. Get on that right now!!!
Haha, well I've always wanted to! It's actually the only one of the classics I haven't ever gotten to play, because it was damn near impossible for me to find all these years. And as a personal rule of mine, I don't watch or look at anything related to something I'm intending to play at some point.

Glad to finally have it for myself, because I know I've been missing out.