Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Rise of the Tomb Raider

Old 12-09-19, 15:46   #41
RAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsotoTRSaga View Post
Hello everybody, I was replaying Rise recentely and I couldn't help but feel taken out of the game as in loss of immersion when Konstantin out of the blue gets posessed by Manfred Powell and starts mimicing everything he says in TR2001 in a way that seems taken straight out of a fan parody video or another crazy croft. I cringed so hard that I had to pause the game and laugh out loud before I could resume playing. It happened in all my playthroughs of Rise bc it is a scene that instead of getting us all shocked and sad for Lara (or angry) the scene ends up being there for comic relief. Not to mention it is such a huge cliché...

What did you think of this particular scene?
I did not see that twist coming...

Of course I am being sarcastic. The trilogy script was awful. Not just this scene.
RAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-19, 23:54   #42
Boobandie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
Right?? :/

It takes so much away from the character for an old, overused and cliche plot. Richard is always this great world renowned archaeologist who was assassinated and that always seems to solve all of Lara's mysteries and adventures for her. Lara feels like little more than a henchman at this point.
Well you can't have a solo female protagonist, there has to be some male she's emulating or continuing the work of. Hollywood right?

I liked Classic Lara so much because she broke the mould. Sure, her father had been on some archaeological trips in his youth like a lot of aristocrats at the time, but his expeditions would have been a world away from what Lara does, hence the aversion and eventual disowning.

I can picture Henshingly's trips involved more tea and crumpets than traps and deadly pitfalls.

Last edited by Boobandie; 19-09-19 at 01:40.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-19, 01:26   #43
VictorXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
Well you can't have a solo female protagonist, there has to be some male she's emulating or continuing the work of. Hollywood right?
Pretty much spot on unfortunately.
Quote:
I liked Classic Lara so much because she broke the mould. Sure, her father had been on some archaeological trips in his youth like a lot of aristocrats at the time, but his expeditions would have been a world away from what Lara does, hence the aversion and eventual disowning.

I can picture Henshingly's trips involved more tea and crumpets than traps and deadly pitfalls.
Totally agree.

I can 100% picture Lord Henshingly sitting on a table with a bunch of fat, old and moustached men drinking tea and being absolutely appalled that his daughter, a high born lady would be delighted to be acting as 'the help' and is getting her hands dirty on site.
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-19, 10:02   #44
Maverin

I can't even remember that he said that. Nonetheless, it doesn't really bother me that much. I have no feelings about it strangely enough. Can't say whether it's good or not
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-19, 17:02   #45
_Seth

Quote:
I can 100% picture Lord Henshingly sitting on a table with a bunch of fat, old and moustached men drinking tea and being absolutely appalled that his daughter, a high born lady would be delighted to be acting as 'the help' and is getting her hands dirty on site.
Henshingly would definitely have been someone to frequent the brandy room on the Titanic. XD

_Seth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-19, 03:13   #46
VictorXD

Oh absolutely, I have no doubt about it!
Old 16-09-19, 21:05   #47
TRhalloween

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post

I can't remember the article but someone had written about how Lara's mother being her tomb raiding predecessor would have been better. I agree with that, as it would be show strong women throughout the generations instead of tying her to a man's legacy. Although Lara being independent would be preferable.

Really though, I don't think of her backstory in the Core games. I just think of the characters as things happen. I mean usually I just skip the cutscenes as I've seen them before anyway.
TRhalloween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-19, 21:33   #48
VictorXD

^ It really would. It still takes away a bit from the character when you compare it to the original Core bio, but at least it wouldn't fall on the cliche of there always being a man as a reason for a woman to be a bad ass or pretty just independent.
Old 17-09-19, 10:15   #49
killchan

Quote:
it wouldn't fall on the cliche of there always being a man as a reason for a woman to be a bad ass or pretty just independent.
well, everything becomes a cliche if you oversimply it in such a manner.

Last edited by killchan; 17-09-19 at 10:17.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-19, 23:27   #50
OrangeJuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by killchan View Post
well, everything becomes a cliche if you oversimply it in such a manner.
nah i'd agree with you on a general basis but hollywood really has manufactured this cliché and injected it into pop culture.
OrangeJuice is offline   Reply With Quote