Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 09-04-15, 19:26   #1001
Scottlee

Started TRA last night! I'm riding the momentum into another game.

Love CD's Croft Manor once again. 4/8 on the relics so far, but not finished yet.

I also completed Mountain Cave. I got 3/3 secrets but couldn't get the 'relic' (I presume it's above the exit, but I couldn't get up there). Clock ran to about 39 minutes.

It's weird playing a sort of distorted version of TR1, but there were more improvements to the original level than annoyances IMO, most notably the surprise crumbling of the bridge and the improved puzzle for opening the exit door. I did miss the square room with all the shrubbery though. Can't have everything.

Playing this very decent level made me think; why were CD so averse to levers and keys in TRL?
Scottlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-15, 20:02   #1002
robm_2007

Mountain Caves is one of the few levels that I think? is considered to be an improvement on the original. St. Francis Folly is the main one.
robm_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-15, 20:12   #1003
peeves

Quite frankly i found core's version of those levels in the original better than in the remake they're still good in the remake just not as good as in the original.
peeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-15, 20:15   #1004
Atlantisfreak666

I hated TRA's interpretation of the Egypt levels. So dull, grey, and very frustrating imo.

I loved the Greece levels though.
Atlantisfreak666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-15, 20:25   #1005
Shirley_Manson

^ I hate Egypt levels too. It's like Crystal forgot to add any colors after they finished building the levels. Which is sad because the concept art is VERY colorful and vibrant. And those traps were like you said just frustrating. But the last time I played I whizzed through them like nobody's business.
It's a shame though - the Peru levels were (somewhat) faithful to the original, and Greece improved upon it. Atlantis had a nice warm color scheme but it was over before you can say Natla.
Shirley_Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-15, 20:29   #1006
peeves

It's a bit shameful how TRA levels weren't as good as they were in the original because of the colors and controls.
peeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-15, 20:55   #1007
Trenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantisfreak666 View Post
I hated TRA's interpretation of the Egypt levels. So dull, grey, and very frustrating imo.
Yes. The problem is that they went for grey instead of yellow. Which may not have been such a huge problem if the entire game hadn't been mostly grey up until then. Yellow would have served as a nice contrast to all the grey. Plus yellow is the 'Egypt colour' anyway.

Here are some colour corrections I did a while back to demonstrate this. Obviously these are just colour graded in Photoshop and would look much better if Crystal had actually used yellow to begin with:

Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-15, 20:59   #1008
Zebra

It wasn't just a matter of applying a different colour filter ontop. They should've had much more colour in the textures and especially in the lighting. That goes for the entirety of the game, though. It all looked dull and grey and boring.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-15, 21:10   #1009
Enya Brennan

^Exactly. The colour palette was veeery poor compared to TRI's. The latter was so pleasing to look at, with all these colourful sceneries.

Lovely work, @Trenty

Does SweetFX provide a nicer look to TRA?
Enya Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-15, 21:18   #1010
Trenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
It wasn't just a matter of applying a different colour filter ontop. They should've had much more colour in the textures and especially in the lighting. That goes for the entirety of the game, though. It all looked dull and grey and boring.
Exactly. Like I said I just added some yellow in Photoshop. It would have looked much better if Crystal had used more yellow colours in their textures and particularly a yellow lighting scheme would have made all the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enya Brennan View Post
^Exactly. The colour palette was veeery poor compared to TRI's. The latter was so pleasing to look at, with all these colourful sceneries.

Lovely work, @Trenty

Does SweetFX provide a nicer look to TRA?
Thanks. I haven't seen TRA with SweetFX filter so I can't say for sure, but it's definitely a chance.

I agree with what you say about the colour palette compared to TR1. I think Crystal made a mistake there by opting for such washed out colours with mainly a grey-brownish palette VS the vibrant saturated colours of TR1. I think they probably wanted to make it as gritty and 'realistic' as possible which I don't think was necessary. Particularly Egypt is usually thought of as 'yellow' so they should definitely have opted for that in my opinion. The way they did it is still good though.
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote