Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Software Development

Old 23-11-19, 14:44   #2361
narna33

Default installing opentomb on mac

Hi all! I'm new to the community, and I am so glad this forum exists!

Can anyone point me to a simple tutorial on how to use the opentomb generator on mac osx? I've always wanted to play custom tr levels (especially the persian ones; wow!), but I have zero coding experience and I keep getting lost when trying to install.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!
narna33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-20, 09:55   #2362
noodlesrw

Thanks TombExpert for your excellent guide to establish a dev environment for OpenTomb. It inspired me but i couldn't get it to work mostly because of the CMake and i didn't wont to install Qt.
I just used CodeBlocks and downloaded lua, openal-soft, png, SDL2 and zlib libraries. i didn't seem to need the others you mention.
Downloaded OpenTomb source, setup CodeBlocks build and project properties but it had compile errors. i started making changes to compile code but i stopped. i downloaded a newer version of MinGW and renamed the current version in CodeBlocks dir then copied in later version.
It built 100%. I put the binary into another dir with data, audio, resource, save, scripts, shaders, autoexec.lua and config.lua files from TR and OpenTomb files along with DLLs. I had to rename openal-soft.dll to OpenAL32.dll and it runs!
I have put the data in from TR1-5 and each loads. TR1-3 play the intro videos.
One question i do have for others that have OpenTomb running is - where are the flashes from the pistol / uzi fire?
noodlesrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-22, 17:16   #2363
Sabudum

Is this project still alive and being developed? I really wanted to see this finished.
Sabudum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-22, 20:26   #2364
DaroRaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabudum View Post
Is this project still alive and being developed? I really wanted to see this finished.
I ask the same to myself. I have on facebook Konstantyn Chystiakov ( TeslaRus ), but he never seems to be active there either to ask..
DaroRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-22, 13:43   #2365
vvsgh

When people look at the current state of the code they tend to think that it just needs finishing. But they are wrong, because in the present state that code is not compatible enough with the original games, all of them. There are much more subtle details involved than even in developing TR editor.

Obviously this would require some non-trivial efforts and lots of time. It's not about just releasing some broken product for the sake of it. There are also many logistical issues which need addressing and there is actually only one developer left (?).

Compare this to many other TR engine projects and you'll see that it's a many years endeavor the complexity of which is easily underestimated. This also require strong motivation and lots of support.
vvsgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-22, 23:08   #2366
DaroRaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvsgh View Post
When people look at the current state of the code they tend to think that it just needs finishing. But they are wrong, because in the present state that code is not compatible enough with the original games, all of them. There are much more subtle details involved than even in developing TR editor.

Obviously this would require some non-trivial efforts and lots of time. It's not about just releasing some broken product for the sake of it. There are also many logistical issues which need addressing and there is actually only one developer left (?).

Compare this to many other TR engine projects and you'll see that it's a many years endeavor the complexity of which is easily underestimated. This also require strong motivation and lots of support.
This description is very well done, just as if Turbo Pascal were doing it. What will have become of the lives of all these geniuses?
DaroRaider is offline   Reply With Quote