www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 16-08-19, 12:01   #1
disapearing-boy
Archaeologist

Question Taking Screenshots - Windows can't read image file

I'm having trouble taking screenshots when running TRLE. I used to be able to use the ' key on my (QWERTY) Keyboard to take screens. I hadn't used the LE for a while and I'm using Windows10 now.

Pressing the ' key still places a screenshot in the TRLE folder but the bmp images cannot be opened or read by any software.

I'm sure someone here has overcome this problem. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
Old 16-08-19, 12:05   #2
LGG_PRODUCTION
Explorer

If you play classic TRLE levels, the screenshots are in .tga format, while if you play TRNG levels, the screenshots are in .bmp format
Another way to take tcreenshots is to press stamp or ctrl+stamp, open a bmp file and paste
Old 16-08-19, 12:36   #3
disapearing-boy
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGG_PRODUCTION View Post
If you play classic TRLE levels, the screenshots are in .tga format, while if you play TRNG levels, the screenshots are in .bmp format
Another way to take tcreenshots is to press stamp or ctrl+stamp, open a bmp file and paste
It's TRNG but the .bmp files cannot be viewed or opened - even Photoshop can't open them.

I don't know what the 'stamp' key is - we must have a different name for it in English. It sounds like the 'print screen' button but the problem I have with this function is that I have to exit the game to copy and paste the screen.

Pressing the 'windows' key to switch windows causes Tomb4 to become unresponsive and I can't return to the game. I need to take many screens so this is tedious.
Old 16-08-19, 13:38   #4
TR-Freak
Professor

disable soft full screen in the options dialog if you want it to behave responsive even after alt+tab.
You need to use the bottom option out of the three.

make sure you are in fullscreen when makeing screenshots. the files are black when in windowed mode
Old 16-08-19, 15:04   #5
Joey79100
Professor

Also, you should use F3 on TRNG levels. The native screenshot feature is buggy on certain conditions, don't remember which ones. But on TRNG levels, using F3 uses another procedure to make the screenshot and seems to work better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR-Freak View Post
enable soft full screen in the options dialog if you want it to behave responsive even after alt+tab.
Soft full screen doesn't take full control over the screen like a real full screen would (it works like a windowed mode, but without borders basically), so it will actually be more responsive. It's what modern games usually use for full screen, and the real full screen is labelled as "exclusive full screen".
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-19, 17:22   #6
disapearing-boy
Archaeologist

^^ Thanks guys I'll have to try that. Although F3 is the volume on my laptop - I think it overwrites any software functions.

I found a fix for using Greenshot with TRLE by disabling all notifications - it no longer forces me back to windows.
Old 16-08-19, 20:41   #7
Joey79100
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by disapearing-boy View Post
Although F3 is the volume on my laptop - I think it overwrites any software functions.
Hold the Fn key when pressing F3 to make it behave normally. You can also invert that behavior in the BIOS of your computer if you prefer.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-19, 09:51   #8
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Strange, for me the regular tomb4 screenshot functionality under the " key produces broken screenshots (apparently due to 32-bit color, 16-bit color ones are saved correctly), but under TRNG this is fixed and the BMP screenshots are correct.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote