www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 29-10-16, 08:35   #5801
ESCachuli
Professor

Every time I read that, I feel the urge of burning everything related to Crystal Dynamics. It's the meanest thing I've ever read. I really hope next game fails miserably and get the franchise out of their hands. They don't deserve a thing.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-16, 09:00   #5802
lizardspock110
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelphoenix View Post
Quote:
This is hilarious. When I first heard it I thought it was a joke but apparently Core the UK developer that created the Tomb Raider Franchise in the 90's was very very busy while we were wrapping up Tomb Raider: Legend. In a last ditch effort to remain a company they were hard at work trying to take a project right from under our noses. Check out this video, in it you will notice that it's Lara Croft and what...she's raiding tombs. But what isn't initially apparent is the fact that we had NOTHING to do with this. We just found out that Core was trying to sell this Tomb Raider to SCi and take back the franchise right from under us. You can imagine that most of the staff here at crystal was not too please by the move and we all would be downright ****ed if we lost that IP. But luckily, SCi did not bite on the project and Core has recently been bought out by Rebellion. The weight of the situation is huge. I mean here they probably spent 6+ months developing this half game and in the end nothing comes of it. I love it, serves them right, and anyway, after Angel of Darkness came out, who wants Core to handle any project anymore? Especially Tomb Raider, they beat it into the ground. Cheers, TGIF.
Utterly Disgusting. Shocking. They clearly have zero respect for anything Core created. They try so hard to make core look bad, they clearly were a really big threat even though they constantly deny it.
lizardspock110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-16, 09:17   #5803
Caesum
Tomb Raider

Crystal Dynamics have been stealing franchises since 1990s so it probably runs in their veins by now. I guess that's what happens when you don't have good ideas on your own tbh.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-16, 09:34   #5804
Hazelphoenix
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock110 View Post
Utterly Disgusting. Shocking. They clearly have zero respect for anything Core created. They try so hard to make core look bad, they clearly were a really big threat even though they constantly deny it.
^ Core was indeed a threat at that point, considering they had a legacy of 6 Tomb Raider games on their part.

Fearing a situation where the old software house comes back to pay tribute to their first Tomb Raider is understandable from a newly hired developer's standpoint that worked on one game only.

This, however, doesn't change the fact that acting in such a despicable manner has no justification. Core wasn't even trying to steal back the franchise as far as I know. They simply wanted to leave us fans a treat for the 10th anniversary before saying "farewell" to the saga, and clean their name a bit after AOD's disastrous backlash which saw their reputation completely tarnished.

Trashing someone's eight months work gone to waste saying that "they had it coming" is uncalled for and unnecessary, especially for a business company that should be professional. I know this post comes from the mind of a single employee, but they way he worded the text makes me think that they all pretty much thought the same things at CD concerning AE.

Btw, agree with every single post here.

Last edited by Hazelphoenix; 29-10-16 at 09:37. Reason: Typo
Hazelphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-16, 09:36   #5805
Zebra
Legend

To be fair, Crystal is a big company (not to mention that many of the people working there now probably aren't the same people who worked there in 2006) so I wouldn't necessarily make blanket statements about all of them based on one idiot's blog post (and the behaviour of the former studio head/s) but yeah, that quote is pretty terrible.

The funny thing is, though, he must have had precious little confidence in Crystal's own abilities as a developer if he thought keeping the Tomb Raider IP was so vital to his studio's survival.

Last edited by Zebra; 29-10-16 at 09:39.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-16, 10:10   #5806
_Doppie_
Professor

You don't expect companies to be cool with each-others during a war.
Old 29-10-16, 10:36   #5807
TR-Freak
Professor

It's funny how Core gets bashed for remaking TR1, because Crystal was in fear.

Crystal tried to copy Core Design, failed (TRU) and killed the franchise(by rebooting it and creating a completely new timeline) because they had no idea what to do.

Crystal failed after 3 games, while Core Design failed 2 times (AoD and TRc maybe) in 6 games. But even then the fans weren't asked. As we know AoD still has a big fan base and is praised for it's story and development of Lara. To me it is not fair that Eidos changed the Developer. It's as if TR was the only income Eidos had. And I mean, the whole Classic Franchise had a lot of income, even today.

Last edited by TR-Freak; 29-10-16 at 10:40.
TR-Freak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-16, 10:47   #5808
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelphoenix View Post
Is this what you're referring to? (There's also your post )

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...66159&page=207

I still can't help but cringe everytime I read this mess
Yes, that's the post! Thank you for finding it. How come I can never find anything on here but other people can!!!
Old 29-10-16, 10:57   #5809
Niveus
Professor

You lot sound like a bunch of conspiracy theorists.

While that was a despicable thing to say, I don't doubt that that kind of opinion wasn't shared by all the other Crystal employees.
Niveus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-16, 11:19   #5810
Hazelphoenix
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
Yes, that's the post! Thank you for finding it. How come I can never find anything on here but other people can!!!
Nah, to be completely fair, I had the link saved just in case it might've been useful in the future...
Hazelphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote