Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 21-02-19, 03:19   #501
Legends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Paige View Post
“Although the commercial figures wasn’t good news for fans of the British heroine, Square Enix have suggested that Shadow Of The Tomb Raider won’t be the last time we see Lara Croft”.

“Hopefully, the under-performance of those two games does not mean we’ve seen the last of the series. They both have tremendous fanbases, but perhaps have been victims of crowded release windows. In the future, Square Enix may be able to experiment with price and timing to maximize the performance of games like these.”
Hmm. Of course Square Enix want more money. It's not as if they are in the best financial situation if reports are to be believed. Also, since they own it, there would be no reason for them to not exploit "their" franchise.

As for the actual quote... It sounds like they have learned absolutely nothing. "Square Enix may be able to experiment with price and timing to maximize the performance of these games".
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-19, 03:48   #502
Melonie Tomb Raider
Golden

tbh Tomb Raider had so much appeal as an indie style game, it just doesn't work as an overly cinematic hundred million dollar Hollywood franchise. Keep it simple and fun with the old mechanics, it saves budget and it's what made the series successful in the first place.

I'll forever find it ridiculous that TR went so mainstream when the indie feeling appeal is part of its success. I mean... Nicobass' indie one-man-made TR2 level remake was the best "Tomb Raider Game" we've had since Chronicles, if not before.

So idk, Square either needs to hire Toys for Bob for a remaster of the first trilogy or just lower development cost and let CD or EM make a more classic style "reboot" of the series. Or sell the franchise to someone who will.

At the end of the day, it was still fun to see what a mainstream TR would be like and I had a blast with it, but it's just not the best for the series in my humble opinion, for what it's worth.

Kinda sucks to be in this place again.... just like after AOD and TRU, not knowing when if we'll get another game any time in the remote future.

Last edited by Melonie Tomb Raider; 21-02-19 at 04:02.
Melonie Tomb Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-19, 04:13   #503
charmedangelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Paige View Post
“Although the commercial figures wasn’t good news for fans of the British heroine, Square Enix have suggested that Shadow Of The Tomb Raider won’t be the last time we see Lara Croft”.

“Hopefully, the under-performance of those two games does not mean we’ve seen the last of the series. They both have tremendous fanbases, but perhaps have been victims of crowded release windows. In the future, Square Enix may be able to experiment with price and timing to maximize the performance of games like these.”
Now we can finally stop trying to spin things into saying that Shadow sold well.

Sqeenix has a lot of thinking to do in regards to Tomb Raider.

They either get the franchise back on board with it's roots or we continue down a path that will lead to the inevitable end.

Last edited by charmedangelin; 21-02-19 at 04:14.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-19, 04:17   #504
Princess_Paige
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonie Tomb Raider View Post
tbh Tomb Raider had so much appeal as an indie style game, it just doesn't work as an overly cinematic hundred million dollar Hollywood franchise. Keep it simple and fun with the old mechanics, it saves budget and it's what made the series successful in the first place.

I'll forever find it ridiculous that TR went so mainstream when the indie feeling appeal is part of its success. I mean... Nicobass' indie one-man-made TR2 level remake was the best "Tomb Raider Game" we've had since Chronicles, if not before.

So idk, Square either needs to hire Toys for Bob for a remaster of the first trilogy or just lower development cost and let CD or EM make a more classic style "reboot" of the series. Or sell the franchise to someone who will.

At the end of the day, it was still fun to see what a mainstream TR would be like and I had a blast with it, but it's just not the best for the series in my humble opinion, for what it's worth.

Kinda sucks to be in this place again.... just like after AOD and TRU, not knowing when if we'll get another game any time in the remote future.
I don’t necessarily think being mainstream is inherently a problem. The problem arises when they try to appeal to the casual gamers by dumbing everything down.
I still think a modern classic could work if they wanted to make one. Bring back the platforming and difficulty of the classics but with a modern twist. Throw in cinematic moments and an action set-piece here and there. I definitely think Tomb Raider could be modernised in a terrific way while still staying true to it’s roots.
Also not a huge fan of Nicobass’ game being used as a template. Although he’s super talented and I really love the remake, it’s almost identical to LAU in play style which was already a dumbed down version of the classics.

Idk that’s just my two cents anyway
Princess_Paige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-19, 04:35   #505
Melonie Tomb Raider
Golden

I think Nicobass' TR2 remake felt very classic in puzzles and atmosphere especially, and even level design (though he had TR2 to base it around, naturally). The LAU mechanics were due to the limited resources of course, but even so it still felt classic TR in a lot of ways at least from my perspective. With a small team and not confined to LAU assets/ animations, I think something truly amazing could be made following those guidelines.

And as far as wanting a more cinematic Hollywood TR experience, that's for sure a personal opinion thing. I personally don't like it, and it massively increases budget, but to each their own on that.
Melonie Tomb Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-19, 05:01   #506
Princess_Paige
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonie Tomb Raider View Post
I think Nicobass' TR2 remake felt very classic in puzzles and atmosphere especially, and even level design (though he had TR2 to base it around, naturally). The LAU mechanics were due to the limited resources of course, but even so it still felt classic TR in a lot of ways at least from my perspective. With a small team and not confined to LAU assets/ animations, I think something truly amazing could be made following those guidelines.

And as far as wanting a more cinematic Hollywood TR experience, that's for sure a personal opinion thing. I personally don't like it, and it massively increases budget, but to each their own on that.
I get what you mean. I’d be interested to see what he’d create with a full team.
A Hollywood cinematic TR isn’t what I want either lol I just mean they can sprinkle in a few moments here and there that give it a modern twist but mostly the game following the classic formula. Like an action set-piece at the end of a level or something. But that’s just my taste
Princess_Paige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-19, 05:12   #507
charmedangelin

Nicobus remake was perfect, certainly got a lot of buzz. Everything about it was so refreshing and a breath of fresh air. I never had a problem with LAU mechanics, if incorporated properly they could be used to bring classic Tomb Raider to Life. They were going in the right track in TRA, however the level design, atmosphere, puzzles could have used quite a bit of work.

These things however in Nicobus remake were mostly addressed. Especially the atmosphere, honestly Sqeenix should ask Nicobus if he wants their help on working on it because it was amazing.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-19, 05:44   #508
Athukraz

Wish my laptop could run Nicobas game well. It looks so good and plays so similarly to Legend and Anniversary which I love
Athukraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-19, 07:37   #509
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends View Post
Hmm. Of course Square Enix want more money. It's not as if they are in the best financial situation if reports are to be believed. Also, since they own it, there would be no reason for them to not exploit "their" franchise.

As for the actual quote... It sounds like they have learned absolutely nothing. "Square Enix may be able to experiment with price and timing to maximize the performance of these games".
But you see, it only made ALOT of money, not ALL the money.

Also they gotta recoup that last final fantasy game that wasn't that good back. (And weren't the ones before that awful too?)

Last edited by Samz; 21-02-19 at 07:49.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-19, 08:13   #510
TR1249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends View Post

Money is the first priority of a Company. Learn about economics before going on your usual rant, no one asked for.
TR1249 is online now   Reply With Quote