www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Rise of the Tomb Raider

Old 31-08-21, 16:22   #1
rewak
Professor

Default Xbox Exclusivity cost MS $100 million

Dug up from a LinkedIn profile, it looks like MS paid $100 million to SE for Rise to be a timed exclusive for Xbox. That's about as much as Shadow cost to develop!

https://twitter.com/bogorad222/statu...43608930656258
rewak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-21, 18:37   #2
AimlessThunder
Professor

Woah.. But it was totally worth it. Rise still looks amazing.
AimlessThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-21, 21:52   #3
DOPE
Relic Hunter

I think if anything this shows what a mess Xbox was at the time. Phil Spencer literally saved this brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimlessThunder View Post
Rise still looks amazing.
Well, if you’re a fan of white backgrounds, glitchy mullets and inconsistent facial expressions..
Old 31-08-21, 22:01   #4
TrustyBow
Professor

The money clearly went to good use but overall it backfired on the brand. The negativity from the deal had a huge effect on the sales.
Old 01-09-21, 03:08   #5
VictorXD
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
The money clearly went to good use but overall it backfired on the brand. The negativity from the deal had a huge effect on the sales.
Pretty much this.

I honestly don't think the deal was even worth it in the end. If I had to guess, I'd say that a good chunk of those 100mi had to make up for the lost sales of the exclusivity deal. I mean, they missed the chance to profit 60$ per copy in 2 platforms, with the PS4 player base being much bigger than both PC and Xbox 1. By the time the game released in PS4 and PC, casuals hardly cared, they just waited for the game to be on sale.
Old 01-09-21, 06:14   #6
LNSNHGTDS
Tomb Raider

I obviously know that's a lot of "normal people" money, but is it a lot for gaming industry standards? If yes I'm so proud Lara could pull of that.

However...

It's a shame that the backlash ended up hurting the brand because Rise is gorgeous by all means and I think it was a nice middle ground between TR13's and Shadow's formulas. If puzzles were a bit more abundant and challenge tombs were... challenging (andLarahadthedamnpistols) I think it could have been even better, though I think it's one of the best games in the series as it is, definitely the best out of the three Survivor games.

I understand why the deal had to be made, or at the very least why Crystal and / or Square felt the need to accept, but the whole 2015 era, publicity-wise, screamed "messy" to me...
Old 01-09-21, 16:53   #7
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

That pretty much help to pay the cost of the game, I guess it was very profitable from Square Enix point of view. For Microsoft not so much, the exclusivity was quickly temporary and I'm not sure the game helped that much to sell the consoles. Isn't the 1M debut to be a bit of a disappointment for them ?
Old 02-09-21, 07:49   #8
ESCachuli
Professor

The exclusivity deal wasnt that important to me. Of course it was a bad thing that people werent able to play it, but we ended up receiving the full game at a lower price.
The problem of the game is that it's basically TR2013 in the snow. Retold. Also the portrayal of Lara, the platforming, the hand holding...

If they at least added the option to hide white ledges im pretty sure the game would have been a lot better. Still far from my perspective of what TR should be, but better.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-21, 10:45   #9
Vaskito
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
Actually, the impact was only in the initial sales. 2 years after release / 1 year after PS release, the game had sold 7M units. (for comparison terms, TR2013 had sold 8.5M units by April 2015 - 2 years after release).

So despite the deal, poor promotion, release window against Fallout, etc. the game ended up performing mostly on par with TR2013 sales wise. However, if it wasn't for the deal, I'm starting to believe ROTTR could have outperformed TR2013 in sales. The game is very well regarded in the general public and mentioned often
Old 03-09-21, 17:24   #10
Kurtis6
Historian

Most people forget the development cost of Rise of Tomb Raider on Xbox 360 that still remains exclusive on that console generation.
Kurtis6 is offline   Reply With Quote