Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Crossovers, Tabletop Games and Milestones > Tomb Raider 25

Old 03-06-21, 01:12   #11
tomblover

One of the best main themes in the franchise. I said what I said and I meant what I said.

I like the jazzy rearrangement, too.

The TRC soundtrack is some of Peter Connelly's best work in general. I love Chronicles, man.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-21, 07:15   #12
Brendanlovesu1

Mixed feelings about this one. Genuinely didn’t realise it was so maligned until recently.

When I (my parents) first bought it back in 2001, I was actually blown away by the atmosphere of the Rome levels. I could really feel the warm evening radiating... Never mind that doesn’t seem to be anyone else around. I did enjoy the submarine levels too and yet...

Something felt a bit off throughout throughout the game. It was awkward in places, but it did have some interesting ideas, like the folk-horror of the Ireland / Black Isle section.

I liked the idea that each section was from a different point in Lara’s life.

VCI are the worst levels ever tho, not to mention the opening fmv for that section shows Lara using her pistols only to have them replaced w/ an MP5

This game really felt like the end of something, but perhaps that should’ve been TR:TLR.
Brendanlovesu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-21, 17:35   #13
lance6439

I enjoyed the VCI levels. Not sure where the hate comes from.
lance6439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-21, 19:42   #14
Tsarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomblover View Post
One of the best main themes in the franchise. I said what I said and I meant what I said.

The TRC soundtrack is some of Peter Connelly's best work in general. I love Chronicles, man.
Oh hell yes, the soundtrack is amazing. I am right there with you.
Tsarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-21, 22:33   #15
malferink

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance6439 View Post
Don't know what platform you played it on but the PC version was buggy as hell. I was never able to finish the game as a kid because of a bug at the end of the game. The VCI levels were just really, really buggy in general. I didn't know my game was bugged out as a kid and it frustrated me so much
malferink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-21, 22:34   #16
medioka_music

Quote:
Tbh it's probably a mixture of it not having tombs and it being really difficult and buggy. Personally I'd say it's my favourite section of Chronicles and it's probably the most creative part of the game.
medioka_music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-21, 22:38   #17
lance6439

Well I had no issues with the VCI levels. Hmm smells like a witch hunt to me!
lance6439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-21, 22:42   #18
medioka_music

Quote:
Well I had no issues with the VCI levels. Hmm smells like a witch hunt to me!
That's just luck though. They are really buggy levels, played them on both PC and PS1. Still love the levels though. They take me back to the nevada section of TR3.
Old 03-06-21, 23:16   #19
.snake.

I've played the VCI levels on PC - they are terribly buggy. And yet, I still love them. Best part of the game. I love the grapple gun and it's a shame we only get to use it 3 times in the final level.

The Ireland levels have some really atrocious room geometry in the beginning, and bad texturing to top it off... and yet, I still love them.

The Russia levels are really bad - if you pay attention and break the submarine down to it's core, you are literally just walking from room to room along 1 square wide passages and examining bookshelves or drawers for the required items... that's all the gameplay there is. And yet, they happen to be my favorite chapter of the whole game.

Rome is good, but strange when you think that normal city streets are just a switch-pull away from re-animated dragon gargoyles and gladiator statues. But the Coliseum level is great and true nod back to TR1.

So yeah, I'd say Chronicles is 'weak' because it has some of the most overtly simplistic gameplay of the entire series - the polar opposite to TR3 which has some of the most challenging levels of the entire series. But I still adore Chronicles.

TBH, for this month I'm really just hoping Jason Chester is going to start posting low-poly models for every level of Chronicles. It's been too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomblover View Post

Yeah the Chronicles soundtrack is pretty great. Although I can't agree with liking the jazzing rearrangements Peter made for the Dark Angel Symphony. It's like the Tomb Raider soundtrack had sex with the Bayonetta soundtrack and those rearrangements were born.

Last edited by .snake.; 03-06-21 at 23:20.
.snake. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-21, 23:25   #20
medioka_music

Quote:
Originally Posted by .snake. View Post
I've played the VCI levels on PC - they are terribly buggy. And yet, I still love them. Best part of the game. I love the grapple gun and it's a shame we only get to use it 3 times in the final level.

The Ireland levels have some really atrocious room geometry in the beginning, and bad texturing to top it off... and yet, I still love them.

The Russia levels are really bad - if you pay attention and break the submarine down to it's core, you are literally just walking from room to room along 1 square wide passages and examining bookshelves or drawers for the required items... that's all the gameplay there is. And yet, they happen to be my favorite chapter of the whole game.

Rome is good, but strange when you think that normal city streets are just a switch-pull away from re-animated dragon gargoyles and gladiator statues. But the Coliseum level is great and true nod back to TR1.

So yeah, I'd say Chronicles is 'weak' because it has some of the most overtly simplistic gameplay of the entire series - the polar opposite to TR3 which has some of the most challenging levels of the entire series. But I still adore Chronicles.
It's ironic that it has some of the most simplistic gameplay but has the most difficult closing levels of any of the games. I definitely have a soft spot for Chronicles, the atmosphere and the soundtrack is on point to me and the callback to some of the earlier games is something I've always appreciated.