www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 28-06-20, 17:25   #31
ANoDE
Golden

Oh, totally wishing you luck. You can do this!

Last edited by ANoDE; 29-06-20 at 20:31. Reason: Typos, typos, typos...
ANoDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-20, 20:32   #32
laracroftswest
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomee View Post
I've completed TR3 at least 4-5 times and I still don't know how to complete Aldwych. Most of the levels I have a general idea where to go always, not this one. I can do it by trial and error, without consulting a walkthrough, but it's still so complex. Am I the only one?
Definitely not alone in that one. It's the only level of the first 3 titles I've never been able to confidently complete. I loathe Aldwych.
Old 29-06-20, 03:38   #33
michaeldt
Tomb Raider

Opera house is definitely a complex level, but its not badly designed by any means . The whole level is a giant navigational puzzle, basically.

I think first time playing Opera House is difficult because you need to get your bearings and familiarise yourself with the layout, but after that it's easily one of my fav levels from TRII .
Old 29-06-20, 03:47   #34
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter

talking about eels...

SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-20, 20:30   #35
TombRager
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANoDE View Post
Oh, totally wishing you luck. You can so this!
Thanks! I think I'll try to pull this off later and also try not to **** myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laracroftswest View Post
Definitely not alone in that one. It's the only level of the first 3 titles I've never been able to confidently complete. I loathe Aldwych.
I played the demos for Tomb Raider 3 (India, Coastal Village and Area 51) and they didn't seem too hard, except for Area 51 because I had no saves and I didn't get to complete Coastal Village because I didn't expect the skeleton trap which nearly made me jump out of my chair and I didn't knew how to fight the crocodiles or where to go so I didn't bother with it. But is this Aldwych level even worse than Opera House?

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldt View Post
Opera house is definitely a complex level, but its not badly designed by any means . The whole level is a giant navigational puzzle, basically.

I think first time playing Opera House is difficult because you need to get your bearings and familiarise yourself with the layout, but after that it's easily one of my fav levels from TRII .
I agree with the design part. It looks like a cool map and it's a cool concept of an opera house, but it wasn't fun to play for me. I felt lost and like I was walking in circles half of the time, didn't knew where to go next, too many human enemies and nearly no medipacks.

By the way, why are the places in the game crowded with humans? I mean, it would be pretty interesting if you could spot some sort of underground business in Venice or something since these guys are from some sort of mafia if I'm not mistaken? They simply seem to be roaming around Maria Doria for no reason. I never completed the game so maybe it'll make sense later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrDanielPonces View Post
talking about eels...

God, I shaked when that thing appeared. I'm glad I didn't have nightmares with this yesterday. I didn't watch this before going to sleep but suddenly a picture of that damn thing simply got stuck on my head and wouldn't let go. Is this in Living Quarters though? Just to make sure so I won't climb up furniture and end up having another scare like that.
TombRager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-20, 20:33   #36
ANoDE
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombRager View Post
But is this Aldwych level even worse than Opera House?
Definitely, yes.
TR3 levels sometimes have a habit of being outright illogical. Especially the ones in the London section.
Old 29-06-20, 22:21   #37
Lara_Fan1
Tomb Raider

Nothing is worse than Opera House, I'd take Lud's Gate in a heartbeat .
Old 30-06-20, 09:42   #38
Shirley_Manson
Professor

Oh yes, TR2 can get convoluted, TR3 can get extremely convoluted. When I played for the first time Opera House probably took about a week to beat. It was the first 3D game I ever played, so I had no idea what I was doing, but even to this day I get a bit confused as to in which order to do things.

Good luck with the final levels. Once you beat Opera House you owe it to yourself to finish the game. There's no going back now.
Old 30-06-20, 14:11   #39
fallenangle
Archaeologist

I do think the Opera House needed an explanatory FMV or something because what you're doing there and why you're doing it is not clear.

If LC had found evidence at Bartoli's Hideout that the Opera House was a front (quite literally) to supply the equipment and men for his illegal operation salvaging the Maria Doria then that's all that would have been needed. But as it is you just have to assume that's what it was all about

First time through you blunder around getting random machinery working, avoiding traps and killing bad guys with little idea what you're trying to do. When you finally get access to the 'warehouse' it makes sense but only in retrospect.

Last edited by fallenangle; 30-06-20 at 22:56.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-20, 17:35   #40
egypt_gypsie
Professor

The only issue I had with TR2 until I recently replayed it a few weeks ago (this particular section somehow became abundantly easier on this playthrough) was the guy in Tibetan Foothills that attacks you on the snowmobile when you are trying to pick up the key from the once-frozen pool.

Before every time I would play, he would kill me at least 15 times before I managed to get the key.

Otherwise, the only level that I had issues with was Temple of Xian as far as navigation.

TLR is miles more difficult to figure out where to go than any of the other classics.