www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 30-06-20, 11:53   #261
LNSNHGTDS
Relic Hunter

All of the ideas posted honestly sound do great?

I've been playing the Jak games recently and honestly? I keep dying a lot. I fail again, and again and again. But when I actually get it right it's so satisfying! I kinda miss this in Tomb Raider..

Tombraider95's ideas for difficulty level sound amazing, I'm hoping they take what they did for Shadow and implement even better ideas like 95's and more and truly take things to a whole other level. An accessible and hardcore game at the same time really leaves little room for complaints. Maybe hire a writer and let them do their job without major interferences too
Old 30-06-20, 12:56   #262
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

TR95's proposition is indeed really good. It seems nowadays studios are less afraid to adapt difficulties and I love that. We noticed a little evolution in Shadow, and contemporary games like GOW4 or last Resident Evil games offered really hard challenges for those who want too.
I'm glad the 2000's mind "every little challenges aren't profitable" is gone (or seems so). After all we're in an era when studios put time and moneys into optional fetches or collectibles while the rate of gamers who gain trophies/successes about them were always very low. After seeing that I don't really see why they would not cater to hard gamers as well !
So... I hope and would be honoured if they'll keep the momentum they had with Shadow and care even more about us for the next game.

Last edited by Chamayoo; 30-06-20 at 12:58.
Chamayoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-20, 13:27   #263
jajay119
Tomb Raider

I personally think flares are a bit outdated. In the classic games portable light source technology wasnt as far along as it is now and it doesnt make sense for someone like Lara to use an inferior product just for the sake of facilitating gameplay. Maybe its because I play a lot of horror games but I don't see much special in fumbling round in the dark - especially where platforming and traps are concerned. I think a PLS with a limited battery would be better than flares.
Old 30-06-20, 13:44   #264
Tombraider95
Relic Hunter

Although I agree that a light source is probably more useful for Lara rather than flares, white light can really make areas look bland imo. However I think both could work. Blue/Red/Green Flares could be used to light up large areas which Lara throws onto the ground (kinda like in Legend), that stay lit maybe forever? They are limited but Lara could pick them back up and toss them elsewhere?

The light source Lara has on her body can be for smaller darker areas that need some light. Flares could also be tossed to distract or scare off enemies too.
Old 30-06-20, 13:54   #265
Linoshi Croft
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombraider95 View Post
Although I agree that a light source is probably more useful for Lara rather than flares, white light can really make areas look bland imo. However I think both could work. Blue/Red/Green Flares could be used to light up large areas which Lara throws onto the ground (kinda like in Legend), that stay lit maybe forever? They are limited but Lara could pick them back up and toss them elsewhere?

The light source Lara has on her body can be for smaller darker areas that need some light. Flares could also be tossed to distract or scare off enemies too.
I really like this balance between the two.
Old 30-06-20, 14:31   #266
Costel
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
TR95's proposition is indeed really good. It seems nowadays studios are less afraid to adapt difficulties and I love that. We noticed a little evolution in Shadow, and contemporary games like GOW4 or last Resident Evil games offered really hard challenges for those who want too.
I'm glad the 2000's mind "every little challenges aren't profitable" is gone (or seems so). After all we're in an era when studios put time and moneys into optional fetches or collectibles while the rate of gamers who gain trophies/successes about them were always very low. After seeing that I don't really see why they would not cater to hard gamers as well !
So... I hope and would be honoured if they'll keep the momentum they had with Shadow and care even more about us for the next game.
Woah. Woah. Woah. Slow down with the challenges on GOW4 cause beside the combat on higher difficulties the game offers no challenges at all. Scripted platforming and simple puzzles as difficult as TR 2013 puzzles. Not confined to one room like TR 2013 but not mind scratching either. And there is no fall damage in GOW4 .
Old 30-06-20, 15:33   #267
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costel View Post
Woah. Woah. Woah. Slow down with the challenges on GOW4 cause beside the combat on higher difficulties the game offers no challenges at all. Scripted platforming and simple puzzles as difficult as TR 2013 puzzles. Not confined to one room like TR 2013 but not mind scratching either. And there is no fall damage in GOW4 .
Don't worry, I'm only talking about the higher difficulty and side content.
GOW is a beat them all series so only combat matters for the challenge. The platforming was abysmal of course.
Though I also aknowledge the deadly obsession for Rise and Shadow, even if I think it wasn't done really well

Last edited by Chamayoo; 30-06-20 at 15:35.
Chamayoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-20, 15:34   #268
_Seth
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
I personally think flares are a bit outdated. In the classic games portable light source technology wasnt as far along as it is now and it doesnt make sense for someone like Lara to use an inferior product just for the sake of facilitating gameplay. Maybe its because I play a lot of horror games but I don't see much special in fumbling round in the dark - especially where platforming and traps are concerned. I think a PLS with a limited battery would be better than flares.
I get what you're saying, but I think the functionality and gameplay benefits of flares is worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth

With current gen graphics these can really add absolutely bags of atmosphere to any room you're in. They would serve as a great limited collectable to find throughout the game which you can light up at your own discretion. The red illumination is breathtaking because the smoke adds a beautiful real-world effect, the frothing sound in an echoey tomb could give you a sense of loneliness amongst the rest of the dead silence. Magnesium flares can also be used underwater, and these flares have been around for decades and so would be contextually appropriate to find next to the skeletons of dead explorers. They can serve gameplay in other ways than just raw atmosphere and illumination, for example throwing them down a pit to see how far down it goes, using it to light a brazier, throwing them near enemies to distract for stealth or creating illumination points and shadows to potentially serve a lighting-based puzzle.

Failing this, glow sticks could be nice. There could be a cool, low-key electronic buzzing sound, they could come in blue, yellow, red and green at random as Lara equips them, and she could snap the stick over braziers so the chemicals ignite a fire.
A little florescent light torch seems like crap.
Old 30-06-20, 17:49   #269
jajay119
Tomb Raider

I'm not talking about regular flashlights here : The technology for people who want really good illumination has moved on so much. Lara could strap this thing to her shoulder or hold it and and be in virtual daylight. Better illumination than any flare.

WARNING: Strobe from 1:50 - 1:55 ish

I mean... it even comes with a holster

Last edited by jajay119; 30-06-20 at 17:52.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-20, 18:16   #270
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombraider95 View Post

I was thinking a Legend-style torch would be better but yknow what, you've sold me on this idea for the flares. I'd love this. It would be a great way of having some areas be extremely dark and creepy (as many tombs would be in reality) with the only light source being flares.

They really need to pay attention to your posts if they read these forums, you have fantastic ideas.