www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 27-03-07, 16:09   #1
Fluen
Explorer

Default Flipmaps and light

I'm not very good at working with lights, so I ask your advice.

I have discovered that when I press 'refresh' the lighting from room to room is smoothed. That's good. But what's bad is that it's only the flipped room the light smoothing is done to. And I need the unflipped rooms too.

Personally I think it looks dreadful with this clear line between the unflipped room and the adjacent room and I want to know what I can do to minimize the problem.

Certain things I should avoid or some things I must do to make smooth lighting transitions from unflipped rooms to ordinary rooms?
Fluen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-07, 16:44   #2
Stranger110

Do you really know that the refresh button also works ingame? I don't think so.

But well, in the editor, it is really recognizable where the room ends and the other begins, but ingame the lighting isn't like that.
What I want to say, it isn't recognizable when there is a little difference between the rooms.
Stranger110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-07, 19:46   #3
tweetygwee
Archaeologist

Can someone please explain the refresh button further? It has no effect in-game?
tweetygwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-07, 07:50   #4
Uvavoo
Archaeologist

In game, the engine smooths the lighting transition between the rooms. The refresh button helps if used in the editor. To better view lighting use the 'preview' button. I suspect that both the flipped and unflipped rooms will look fine in game.
I remember when I first started building. I had a stacked room and spent ages trying to get rid of the 'transition' lines between rooms. Only to find later that the work was largely unnecessary as the engine smoothed these transitions out anyway as long as there was a reasonable match.
Old 31-03-07, 11:50   #5
Fluen
Explorer

Sorry, but I talk about lines between rooms seen in game. I never use the preview function and when I look at a lit room in the editor I don't concern myself with the lines between rooms as I know most of them are smoothed out by the engine.

But not all. And as the number of flipmaps in my level grows, so does my frustration as I constantly flip rooms on and off during the game. And it's unpleasant to watch a perfect transition just to come back later when the room is unflipped and then see a clear line between the rooms.

But if no-one has any experience with this I wonder if I have come across a bug of some kind or have made a particularly bad light setting.
Fluen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-18, 02:24   #6
MarlenaCrystal
Hobbyist

Hello everyone, sorry for posting in such an old thread, but I came across this problem myself two times now and I don't have any solution for it.

Is this a known issue?
That flipmaps have smooth lighting transitions between rooms only in flipped condition?
MarlenaCrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-18, 06:14   #7
A_De
Archaeologist

^ Same here. I'm going to fix this with meta2tr.
However this issue might have something to do with room numbers, i.e if the flipped room number is higher than number of normal room or not Just an assumption.
Old 28-12-18, 16:37   #8
MarlenaCrystal
Hobbyist

Interesting, I tried it now with a different room number which was smaller than the actual room number, but the same issue occurs.

How exactly do you fix it with meta2tr? I only used it for better lighting with objects before.
MarlenaCrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-18, 18:28   #9
Titak

You can manually light vertices in Meta.
Old 13-01-19, 16:00   #10
PedroTheGamer
Student

but if we go to the room, why do not the lights go on?

example, in the TR4 in buried temple, the when it rotates until 360, but as they remained the dark medium illumination without the illumination is inverted?
PedroTheGamer is offline   Reply With Quote