www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 27-03-21, 18:51   #61
Zenx
Explorer

Thanks a lot! I played the android version of TR2 a few years back and found it cool, I thought gee I wish it was this easy on PC, now it is with your patch.
Old 27-03-21, 19:01   #62
LB13009
Hobbyist

Default setup.EXE dont work

hello every one , i'm french so my english is not perfect.

I'm going to be direct to be understood , i have an official version of TR2 and my pc work with windows 10 x64.

When i want to start the installation of the game with the setup.EXE or the autorun , nothing happened..

I'm not a geek.. so i need some help.... leurer:<

thank you.
LB13009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-21, 07:33   #63
Kirishima
Explorer

Run the Setup.exe in compatibility mode with it set to windows 95 or 98 and see if that works. You do that by right clicking the setup.exe, and going into its Properties. The Compatibilities tab should have all the relevant settings. You could also try the multipatch with arsunts patch:

https://www.tombraiderchronicles.com...s10/patch.html

https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...5&postcount=35

Last edited by Kirishima; 28-03-21 at 07:45.
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-21, 04:45   #64
Zenx
Explorer

Thanks again, @Arsunt! Congratulations for doing an awesome job, I had a great time playing TRII again after 5 years.

You're bring a lot of joy to the community by making it possible for us to continue experiencing this masterpiece.
Old 10-04-21, 10:07   #65
tygarbolt
Hobbyist

Hello everyone, first post here. I used to just read threads on this website but today I wanted to ask something technical to you guys.

When it comes to aspect ratio I think this is something really important to enjoy the game, and I was happy to hear about the different patches that have been made for it. However, I don't know if I'm wrong, but even though the patches improves a lot the "thicc lara" problem, I don't think it's totally the case.

I've been playing recently some Tomb Raider 2 level editor games, and older levels runs quite well in 4:3, the new ones aren't looking how I feel like they should though. I've made some comparison.

Here's a comparison :

How it looks on new custom levels :
https://scontent-cdg2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...c5&oe=60989C93

How I think it should look (older custom levels):

https://scontent-cdt1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...26&oe=6096E074

I think the aspect ratio in this video is the correct one, but I've downloaded the game and I don't have this result : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yBIjAJp52o

I'm not throwing shade at all to the modders who's been making those patches, the PSX features addition are really welcomed and I'm glad people enjoy it the way it looks. I just don't feel like it's the proper image for me and I wanted to know if some people felt that way (or not at all), and if some of you knew how to make it look that way on recent TR2 trle levels and og TR2.

Thanks !

Last edited by tygarbolt; 10-04-21 at 10:11.
tygarbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-21, 12:20   #66
laravision
Archaeologist

Hello and welcome.

It's possible that the reason why you're not seeing the same aspect ratio/field of view as some YouTube videos is because of TR2Main, and the extra features it can apply to the registry. While Escape from the Dragons Lair uses TR2Main, I don't think it provides the necessary reg files to change the FOV. However, if one has used TR2Main with the base TR2 game and have applied PS1 style FOV changes, these changes will be carried over to custom levels that use TR2Main.
Old 11-04-21, 09:33   #67
tygarbolt
Hobbyist

Thanks for your reply ! Oh that's unfortunate, really difficult to understand how to make it work properly then. I've tried this level with patches and without, but it doesn't seem to change anything apart from the PSX sfx and aesthetic features.
tygarbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-21, 12:26   #68
laravision
Archaeologist

I'm not quite sure what difficulties you're having with TR2Main. It is very easy to setup. Apart from not having the desired aspect ratio/FOV, what exactly are you having problems with? Have you tried TR2Main with TR2 itself? The ExtraOptions folder contains categorized REG files that you can apply manually. Please follow the guide if you haven't done so.
Old 11-04-21, 12:38   #69
Kirishima
Explorer

That video looks like it's in a widescreen resolution crunched down to 4:3, but that could just be me. Ignore me.

Last edited by Kirishima; 11-04-21 at 12:45. Reason: Lack of impulse control, current message is not the original.
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-21, 16:47   #70
Arsunt
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygarbolt View Post
When it comes to aspect ratio I think this is something really important to enjoy the game, and I was happy to hear about the different patches that have been made for it. However, I don't know if I'm wrong, but even though the patches improves a lot the "thicc lara" problem, I don't think it's totally the case.

I've been playing recently some Tomb Raider 2 level editor games, and older levels runs quite well in 4:3, the new ones aren't looking how I feel like they should though.
Let's start with theory. The 3D scene must be rendered in such a way that all objects on it correspond to the optical rules of the real world. In particular, that a sphere in 3D space should be projected onto the 2D plane of the screen as a circle, not a flattened ellipse. In the case when we are dealing with different aspect ratios of different monitors, the projection plane should increase or decrease on the left and right, but the projection itself should not be stretched. Since in 1997 there were only 4:3 monitors, the developers did not implement an adaptation formula for different aspect ratios in the game code, so we have a stretched picture on widescreen, but this was not intended. Let's see how the image must look on widescreen:

Here are two wrong projections and the proper unstretched projection between them.

The original PC 4:3 aspect ratio is just cropped version of this projection.

There is also PS1 16:10 aspect ratio that is cropped even more, like if we get PC picture and zoom it in a little bit. This effect is known as PSX FOV (field of view). It is common for playstation games to have such FOV because player is far from TV comparing to PC player who near to monitor.

Quote:
How it looks on new custom levels :
https://scontent-cdg2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...c5&oe=60989C93
This is proper look for widescreen resolution.
Quote:
How I think it should look (older custom levels):

https://scontent-cdt1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...26&oe=6096E074
No, this is totally wrong look. Picture is stretched vertically.

Quote:
I think the aspect ratio in this video is the correct one, but I've downloaded the game and I don't have this result : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yBIjAJp52o
If you want to have 4:3 aspect ratio on fullscreen, you have two options:
  • Use F1/F2 ingame and select display mode 1280x960 or something like that.
  • Create on your ATI/nVidia panel custom resolution where height is your screen height, and width is 4/3 of it's value. For example for 1920x1080 monitor, you may create 1440x1080 custom resolution and select it in-game via F1/F2.
In both cases make sure that your graphic adapter settings set to preserve the original aspect ratio else it will stretch any resolution to screen borders. This is not related to the game itself, but to ATI/nVidia panel.
Quote:
I'm not throwing shade at all to the modders who's been making those patches, the PSX features addition are really welcomed and I'm glad people enjoy it the way it looks. I just don't feel like it's the proper image for me and I wanted to know if some people felt that way (or not at all), and if some of you knew how to make it look that way on recent TR2 trle levels and og TR2.
Try to setup it properly first.
Quote:
Oh that's unfortunate, really difficult to understand how to make it work properly then. I've tried this level with patches and without, but it doesn't seem to change anything apart from the PSX sfx and aesthetic features.
TR2Main is far more bigger thing than just PSX sfx and aesthetic features. There are many bugfixes that you did not even know about.

Last edited by Arsunt; 29-04-21 at 05:38.
Arsunt is offline   Reply With Quote