Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 20-04-21, 17:09   #81
Arsunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet View Post
Hello Arsunt,

the Game freeze when i try to save...in Tomb Editor is all fine.
i can choose the saveslot in Game but hit enter an when the game try to get back from menu...it freeze.
I have reducet the limits of textinfos... maybe im to stupid
Probably you have too many items or objects in the level (texinfos is not the issue). Of course I have plans to increase saved game file limits, but probably you would like to fix the reason itself. Give me your level file so I could check what's wrong.
Arsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-21, 20:48   #82
Sweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsunt View Post
Probably you have too many items or objects in the level (texinfos is not the issue). Of course I have plans to increase saved game file limits, but probably you would like to fix the reason itself. Give me your level file so I could check what's wrong.
Okay thank you...i send you pm for this.
Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-21, 11:52   #83
Chrysalis

Hey there!

I'm new to this forum and I hope this is the right place to post my question regarding TR2Main ... if it isn't, I'm sorry and will delete my post

I've looked everywhere for a solution but couldn't find one so I'm trying my luck here (since this forum is quite active and you seem to be nice people )

I'm currently playing TR II's steam version with Arsunt's TR2Main. Everything is working perfectly, I'm honestly relieved because it wouldn't work any other way, but my question is: Is there any way to keep TR2Main's features while also using a language patch? German is my mother tongue and while I do understand English perfectly fine, I want to play the game in German due to nostalgia (I played it as a kid in German). I don't know how all of these patches etc. work in its core, but I know that TR2Main replaced the .exe so I'm not sure if a German patch could function simultaneously with TR2Main.

I'm thankful for every comment and suggestion etc.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-21, 14:41   #84
Arsunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
Hey there!

I'm new to this forum and I hope this is the right place to post my question regarding TR2Main ... if it isn't, I'm sorry and will delete my post

I've looked everywhere for a solution but couldn't find one so I'm trying my luck here (since this forum is quite active and you seem to be nice people )

I'm currently playing TR II's steam version with Arsunt's TR2Main. Everything is working perfectly, I'm honestly relieved because it wouldn't work any other way, but my question is: Is there any way to keep TR2Main's features while also using a language patch? German is my mother tongue and while I do understand English perfectly fine, I want to play the game in German due to nostalgia (I played it as a kid in German). I don't know how all of these patches etc. work in its core, but I know that TR2Main replaced the .exe so I'm not sure if a German patch could function simultaneously with TR2Main.

I'm thankful for every comment and suggestion etc.
Hey! Most localized things for TR2 are stored in
  • data/tombpc.dat - in-game text.
  • data/main.sfx - sound effects, "A-ha!" and "No." phrases.
  • audio/cdaudio.mp3 - music tracks, cutscenes audio and assault course voice lines.
  • data/*.pcx or pix/*.pcx or pix/16x9/*.png - pictures with some text.

tomb.exe normally stores just text for setup dialog box. There is no fast way to localize it right now, but I have plans to make it possible with no need to edit exe at all.
Arsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-21, 10:11   #85
Chrysalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsunt View Post
Hey! Most localized things for TR2 are stored in
  • data/tombpc.dat - in-game text.
  • data/main.sfx - sound effects, "A-ha!" and "No." phrases.
  • audio/cdaudio.mp3 - music tracks, cutscenes audio and assault course voice lines.
  • data/*.pcx or pix/*.pcx or pix/16x9/*.png - pictures with some text.

tomb.exe normally stores just text for setup dialog box. There is no fast way to localize it right now, but I have plans to make it possible with no need to edit exe at all.
Thanks for the reply

If I understood that correctly, I can replace all those localized things besides the .exe and it should work? I wouldn't mind the setup dialog box staying English ^^

Besides that: Thank you for TR2Main and your efforts I appreciate your fast replies and the possibility to ask you questions
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-22, 22:37   #86
laravision

There now exists a fix for the broken volume control when using individual music tracks that utilize the fmodex.dll and winmm.dll wrapper.
PaulD's cdaudio.mp3 (from Steam/Multipatch) has volume control functionality as intended. However, if you wanted to use individual music files of a higher quality, or perhaps even use custom tracks, you had to use an alternate audio patch like the ones shipped with Steam and GOG (music folder), or the wma fix that speedrunners tend to use. But these patches were not always reliable, either producing a looping problem, lag spikes upon track load, or being unable to maintain a specific volume level in-game. The volume control would work for the current playing track, but as soon as a new music track would trigger, the audio level would revert to default, even though your chosen value remained in the menu Walkman.

Grachev, a member of the Tomb Raider speedrunning community (Tomb Runner) has made some modifications to the code of the fmodex.dll and winmm.dll wrapper. It allows the volume control to function correctly for separate audio tracks within a folder named 'music' that sits in the root of your TR2 game directory. Depending on your game version (Steam or GOG and maybe others) you probably already have the individual audio files in either mp3 or ogg format, located in the music folder, or even a folder named audio. The releases are a mess; the Steam version took PaulD's cdaudio, but also duplicated the soundtrack with separate mp3's with an unused sound.dll and audiere.dll wrapper. And from what I understand, GOG once used ogg files, but later switched to mp3.

Bottom line is, if you want to try this new music patch, I recommend that you convert your Steam or GOG version to Arsunt's TR2Main (you can copy your game to a different location for this purpose if you wish). Steam provide unused MP3 files (named 2-60). If you choose to use these files and want the patch to recognize the early tracks, you'll need to rename the 1st 8 tracks to have a leading zero, so they read 02, 03 etc. I believe the ogg files are named correctly (named Track02-Track60). Place the files of your chosen format in the music folder alongside the appropriate DLL (see below).
I'm not quite sure if this fmodex and winmm wrapper is fully compatible with the digital releases, especially the Steam version. The GOG version supports ogg, but whether or not the new music fix will work with it I cannot answer. If you'd like to try without TR2Main then go ahead. I've only tested with the versions that speedrunners use (Eidos Premier Collection and Eidos UK Box), and of course TR2Main - all of which work.

So, in order to use this volume fix patch, you must force your game to use its music folder comprised of the individual tracks mentioned earlier in either mp3 or ogg format. Remove the existing audio folder and any other music wrapper DLLs such as sound.dll/audiere.dll from the game folder and place them in a backup folder. If your music folder contains ogg files, you will need to place these 2 DLL files in the root of your TR2 game folder. Should you have mp3 files within the music folder (ensure the early tracks are named correctly as stated above), then these 2 DLL files are required. Again, they are to be placed in the root of your game folder (next to the EXE).

These DLL files may be flagged as being dangerous - they are not! DLL files courtesy of Grachev via Midge's version swapper tool.

Last edited by laravision; 18-03-23 at 17:51.
laravision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-22, 02:10   #87
Tremolo

Is it legal to share a compiled pack I made with data, fmv and audio files? It has fixed levels and I deleted unnecesary files, HD fmv, etc.
Tremolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-22, 17:45   #88
laravision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo View Post
Is it legal to share a compiled pack I made with data, fmv and audio files? It has fixed levels and I deleted unnecessary files, HD fmv, etc.
What exactly is this compiled pack and what do you mean by fixed levels? Are you referring to fixed audio levels or have you made alterations/fixes to the level files themselves?
laravision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-22, 19:39   #89
Tremolo

It's basically the audio, fmv and data folders with the most important dll files for TR1, TR1Gold, TR2 and TR2Gold. All these files, integrated along with Tomb1Main and TR2Main, makes the most stable and faithful version til now. I think there's a lot of guides and different files scattered in the forum and other pages (some of them outdated), and that is a little confusing for some users. My idea is to make one only pack with all the important files to use it with Tomb1Main and TR2Main. But that means to share almost the entire game, so that's why I'm asking if it's legal.

By fixed levels I mean bugs and textures fixed, for example, the wrong ceiling textures in The Colosseum, the fixed crash in the portal of Atlantean Stronghold, some wrong textures in Larson's body, some collision problems in Lost Valley and City of Khamoon, etc. I'm using the levels included in the latest GOG version along with the files of the SuikazeRaider Updater patch (https://trtranslationsworld.wordpress.com/)

The FMV folder contains HD versions for TR1 (by MachoBroccoli, including the fixed original Mansion FMV by the youtuber Andy Jake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy8SikFKvro) and TR2 (by the youtuber Andy Jake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLPk8-_xgos). These versions looks better and more faithful to the original source than the LeonDeka's remasters, in my opinion.

The audio folder contains the audio in MP3 format along with the dlls provided by Grachev and Midge to fix the lag spikes in TR2, and the audio files for TR1 as well.

Last edited by Tremolo; 04-03-22 at 19:41.
Tremolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-23, 08:47   #90
yayos

Regarding Arsunt's TR2Main patch. There's nothing written about monitor resolution and after installing the patch i don't see any option for adjusting the resolution to 2560x1440. How does this work? Does the patch detect the resolution and adjusts accordingly or is there something I'm not understanding?
yayos is offline   Reply With Quote