www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Old 23-06-21, 12:54   #18631
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

For reference though if they shot in Mexico that'd be great too and they can make use of the authentic temples already there.

I do wonder where they shot the jungle sequence in Monster Hunter and if it was in a studio or an extension to the set.

I only say this in regards to TR2 because before it seemed like they were set for filming again South Africa as confirmed by Hollywood Reporter at the time of shut down.

This is one of the examples what I mean about MH, to me it doesn't necessarily look like the films we are used to seeing being shot in South Africa. You cna of course spot the obvious parts that were used but they're enhanced with CGI to look better and they then have a huge studio set.

In these examples I think there is more scope and style on the lower 70M budget (aside from the grapple scene which looks awful) than on Tomb Raider's 90M. I do understand though that TR2018 wanted a more grounded look. I think it needs a bit more if a distinctive look for the second. The first seemed afraid of having colours at times.

If we compare this scene you can see what I mean about the camera work, the majority of it is close up shots and we rarely get to see the set design or scope. It could just be a direction choice but I just wanna see more style in the scenes. Just pull the camera out a bit more at times.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 23-06-21 at 13:36.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-21, 17:00   #18632
Avalon SARL
Relic Hunter

Ana sends Assassin to haunt Lara Down; what a cliche story for a sequel.

And if this movie is really about Mayan Calendar, people will just say MEh the second they see the trailer.
Old 23-06-21, 19:42   #18633
Ellioft
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon SARL View Post
Ana sends Assassin to haunt Lara Down; what a cliche story for a sequel.

And if this movie is really about Mayan Calendar, people will just say MEh the second they see the trailer.
It's not said it's about the Mayan calendar at all

I don't know this bit of story imply something that was never touched on any of the TR movies before : the rise of the stakes for Lara.

Last edited by Ellioft; 23-06-21 at 19:45.
Ellioft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-21, 20:07   #18634
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

Lara being hunted by Ana is exactly the type of thing that I could see I just want that confrontation between them it needs to be a pay off after the first film. The rest of it can be thrown out.
Old 23-06-21, 22:43   #18635
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

I kinda wish they wouldn't do Shadow and would do their own thing. Having white characters constantly saving indigenous people is very risky. Tomb Raider could get massive blow back if all they have to offer is another white character interfering and saving people who can easily take care of themselves. People complain about the theme of graverobbery, but I'd much rather Lara raid empty tombs and finding completely mystical artifacts then trying to white night for tribal people.
Old 23-06-21, 23:11   #18636
GeekOfComedy
Archaeologist

It's very VERY difficult to shoot a large film in Latin America; especially during this period with Covid. I've heard the horror stories - the only way they can shoot there is if it's on the Netflix lot that is currently being built there. Rambo last Blood for example swapped Mexico in for BULGARIA! It's just incredibly difficult to get insurance there. It's a non starter which is unfortunate because you got those beautiful Mayan temples and Peru.

I also agree with Pinky that South Africa was a terrible place to film 2018 - Like a broken record they REALLY should have went with Queensland. You got WETA out there, the infrastructure in SA while improving and on the up and up (why more productions go out there) is just not on the level of New Zealand or AU. They had to practically fix everything in post because the wire and stunt work done for the Tomb Escape and River Rapids wasn't up to scratch.

Last edited by GeekOfComedy; 23-06-21 at 23:21.
GeekOfComedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-21, 12:38   #18637
TrustyBow
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
I kinda wish they wouldn't do Shadow and would do their own thing. Having white characters constantly saving indigenous people is very risky. Tomb Raider could get massive blow back if all they have to offer is another white character interfering and saving people who can easily take care of themselves. People complain about the theme of graverobbery, but I'd much rather Lara raid empty tombs and finding completely mystical artifacts then trying to white night for tribal people.
I think that's why they hired Misha Green. Lovecraft Country was all about subverting racist cosmic horror tropes.
Old 24-06-21, 13:59   #18638
Rai

Tomb Raider: Obsidian is listed on Production Weekly website. Could this be due to the casting 'news'? Some other update?

https://www.productionweekly.com

Last edited by Rai; 24-06-21 at 14:29.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-21, 14:52   #18639
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

Production weekly don't usually report on casting. It's mainly for crew calls as far as I know. Could be just an update saying its auditioning though.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 24-06-21 at 14:56.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-21, 16:01   #18640
Rai

I thought perhaps it was a small possibility of giving some credibility to the rumours from the other day.