www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 16-03-21, 20:33   #51
TombHackR
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsunt View Post
I don’t want to start a pointless polemic, I’m just very interested in your point of view.
  1. If I disable all non-PC features with TR2Main and leave just compatibility fixes and many other bugfixes is it mod or anything else?
  2. If Microsoft will remove someday a support of DirectX below version 9, and the original game will stop running, but TR2Main will go on, is it mod or patch?
  3. If Microsoft will remove someday a support of 32bit apps, but TR2Main will be distinct EXE with 64 bit support, is it mod or anything else (or brand new unofficial PC port maybe)?
  4. If I port the game to Linux (native, not Wine), is it still mod?
  5. Did you see iOS/Android port? From inside it is even more "mod" than TR2Main.
In my opinion, it is not a mod. It is proper unofficial Windows port which behaves exactly as the original game, but you don't need to invent the wheel everytime you need some fix or feature. It is easy to enable or disable something. You even can build the TR2Main with no features at all, with just bugfixes.
I think it’s quite clear what I am saying but I will explain more. TR2Main can work both as a patch and mod depending on how you set it up.

PlayStation features for PC, custom water colours, the possibility to have custom textures, and custom loading screens / title screens… are mods (new features that were never present in the original PC version).

Bug fixes, support for newer Direct3D versions, native support for Linux, or a 64 bit Windows executable… are patches (things that make the game run correctly on modern software and hardware).

Not sure what the iOS or Android version has to do with this.

I don’t see the issue in recommending that players who have never played the game before, that they should play the game in the way that it originally was on the PC (no PlayStation features), but patched so it’s possible to play on modern systems (as I doubt many people at all have Windows 9x gaming PCs nowadays). This is not an attack at all on TR2Main.
TombHackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-21, 19:05   #52
Robsters85
Historian

is there a video showing what tr2main does to the game? is it hd update or just bug fixes
Old 18-03-21, 19:18   #53
Arsunt
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsters85 View Post
is there a video showing what tr2main does to the game? is it hd update or just bug fixes
It is both. You can select between just bugfixes and all improvements that you may want. Almost all improvements are ported from PS1 version of the game (1997). If you don't like PS1 features or you want just fixed PC version you can do it.

P.S. I'm preparing a video and an article to show what TR2Main is.
Old 24-03-21, 23:37   #54
DragonDan
Archaeologist

Hi raiders! I'm currently playing TRII on my PC, and this thread has helped make it happen. Everything works rather nicely, except two small things:

Every time I hit the menu (ESC), it drops me out of the game. Not the biggest deal, but it is a disruption to the gameplay

I cannot get the touchbar to open the menu, no matter how many times I map it. Even to other keys or use the Scan Code setting.

Any ideas would help this old raider out.
~D
Old 25-03-21, 06:46   #55
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

TR2Main isn't a mod, it's a port. A new port can have features that the original version didn't have. Just look at all the source ports for the Doom and Quake games. Those are ports, not mods, but they add a lot of new (optional) features. Otherwise new official ports and remasters would be mods, but they're not. The versions of the old Halo games in the Master Chief Collection are new ports (and remasters), not mods. Uncharted The Nathan Drake Trilogy is a port to PS4, not a mod. Skyrim Special Edition is a port, not a collection of mods. And so on and so forth.

Last edited by Wooxman; 25-03-21 at 06:48.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-21, 08:00   #56
TombHackR
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonDan View Post
Hi raiders! I'm currently playing TRII on my PC, and this thread has helped make it happen. Everything works rather nicely, except two small things:

Every time I hit the menu (ESC), it drops me out of the game. Not the biggest deal, but it is a disruption to the gameplay

I cannot get the touchbar to open the menu, no matter how many times I map it. Even to other keys or use the Scan Code setting.

Any ideas would help this old raider out.
~D
I haven't heard of this issue before, I don't suppose you're using any external programs to map keys, or any external overlays like Steam overlay perhaps ? There are quite a few different builds of the EXE available, maybe trying a different build may correct it ? There is a link to a shared folder with all of the different TR2 EXEs somewhere... but I just can't find it! I do hope someone here can provide a link (be warned though changing the EXE might or might not break any patches you already have, which is not ideal).

Or actually this could be a much simpler workaround... I don't know your keyboard layout but if you change the inventory key to something next to it (for example on my keyboard the grave accent key ` is next to ESC), would that work around the issue ? I know you would like to map it to your touchbar but unfortunately I have no idea how to do that .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
TR2Main isn't a mod, it's a port. A new port can have features that the original version didn't have. Just look at all the source ports for the Doom and Quake games. Those are ports, not mods, but they add a lot of new (optional) features.
It doesn't matter what it's called, my suggestion was that new players play an official release before an unofficial port, if possible.
TombHackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-21, 16:04   #57
ivaneiroX
Archaeologist

is there any way to swap Lara's model using this patch?
ivaneiroX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-21, 01:11   #58
SOLA
Student

After installing, I get these messages:

The code execution cannot proceed because d3dx9_43.dll was not found.

and

The code execution cannot proceed because XINPUT1_3.dll was not found.

It's weird because these aren't even dll files I moved out of the folder in order to install the patch. Has anyone seen this before? I'm modifying my Steam copy, btw.
SOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-21, 03:09   #59
Peixoto
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLA View Post
After installing, I get these messages:

The code execution cannot proceed because d3dx9_43.dll was not found.

and

The code execution cannot proceed because XINPUT1_3.dll was not found.

It's weird because these aren't even dll files I moved out of the folder in order to install the patch. Has anyone seen this before? I'm modifying my Steam copy, btw.
Install this:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...s.aspx?id=8109
Peixoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-21, 18:22   #60
SOLA
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peixoto View Post
This worked! Thank you for the tip.
SOLA is offline   Reply With Quote