www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 05-06-21, 23:28   #1
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

Question How Do You Rate All Hallows?

I'm just wondering what people generally think of All Hallows? I personally am not that keen on the level. I don't like how the level randomly ends just before a load of pickups that you can't obtain. I also don't like how the level is incomplete in certain ways; there are climbable walls that don't look climbable due to incomplete textures. I also find the level to be forgettable as I frequently forget how to complete the level and end up needing to check walkthroughs. I believe that All Hallows is the only level in the whole of TR3 where I encounter the problem of forgetting stuff and needing to consult a walkthrough. What about the rest of you?
Old 06-06-21, 02:05   #2
.snake.
Explorer

If it had been a part of the main London levels I think it would be an okay level. I believe the fan-theory is (and as far as I know it's only a theory and was never confirmed) that All Hallows is meant to fit in between Thames' Wharf and Aldwych making Lara's journey from jumping down into the bell tower, raiding through a church, and ending up in the sewers, a more natural progression towards Aldwych than the way it stands today. Also, All Hallows has the floating Sophia-experiment-corpses that act as great foreshadowing to the Damned guys we meet in the next level. The last thing London needed though was more levels.

As a stand-alone-level it's pretty disappointing, though if the theory is true and it really was a cut level, I would rather they had cut Lud's Gate rather than All Hallows.

And, as a reward-level for getting all of the secrets in the most challenging and darkest TR game ever, All Hallows is a complete insult.
.snake. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-21, 02:45   #3
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by .snake. View Post
If it had been a part of the main London levels I think it would be an okay level. I believe the fan-theory is (and as far as I know it's only a theory and was never confirmed) that All Hallows is meant to fit in between Thames' Wharf and Aldwych making Lara's journey from jumping down into the bell tower, raiding through a church, and ending up in the sewers, a more natural progression towards Aldwych than the way it stands today. Also, All Hallows has the floating Sophia-experiment-corpses that act as great foreshadowing to the Damned guys we meet in the next level. The last thing London needed though was more levels.

As a stand-alone-level it's pretty disappointing, though if the theory is true and it really was a cut level, I would rather they had cut Lud's Gate rather than All Hallows.

And, as a reward-level for getting all of the secrets in the most challenging and darkest TR game ever, All Hallows is a complete insult.
The theory that All Hallows was meant to come in-between Thames Wharf and Aldwych is a credible theory as it as a fair bit of decent evidence backing it up. Perhaps Core didn't want London to have five levels and for the other sections to have just 3-4 levels. I personally prefer Lud's Gate to All Hallows, and that's saying something as I'm certainly not a lover of Lud's Gate. The point I'm making is that I'm glad that All Hallows was the level that got taken out and not Lud's Gate, which is the opposite of what you said you would've wanted.
Old 06-06-21, 02:51   #4
medioka_music
Hobbyist

It's an okay level, far from my favourite but as a bonus it's cool, plus the atmosphere is pretty cool.

Quote:

It's not even a fan theory, it was intended to go between Thames Wharf and Aldwych. The October 5th build of the game that leaked ages ago proves that. There was an early version of the level that was a lot bigger which had some cut segments and even had an area from Thames Wharf in it. You can see the video here thanks to Gh0stBlade https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0So99Y8Lwg
medioka_music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-21, 03:06   #5
.snake.
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by medioka_music View Post
It's not even a fan theory, it was intended to go between Thames Wharf and Aldwych. The October 5th build of the game that leaked ages ago proves that. There was an early version of the level that was a lot bigger which had some cut segments and even had an area from Thames Wharf in it. You can see the video here thanks to Gh0stBlade https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0So99Y8Lwg
That's so cool! Thanks so much for sharing that! I thought I had read somewhere in an interview either with Andy Sandham or Richard Morton that this isn't true - but often when you read interviews from those Core guys they themselves barely even remember their own projects from back then. But this is great to see and confirm it, thanks again
.snake. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-21, 03:15   #6
medioka_music
Hobbyist

Quote:
That's so cool! Thanks so much for sharing that! I thought I had read somewhere in an interview either with Andy Sandham or Richard Morton that this isn't true - but often when you read interviews from those Core guys they themselves barely even remember their own projects from back then. But this is great to see and confirm it, thanks again
Yeah it's interesting what gets unearthed when earlier builds come out for people to see. I vaguely remember Andy himself saying something along the lines that the level had to be cut down due to time constraints. Might've been on Ash's stream where they were playing through TR3 and they were answering questions about the levels. Could be completely wrong though, my mind is a bit hazy there.
Old 06-06-21, 14:20   #7
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

Personally, I'm glad that the level did get cut out as it's one of the levels that I'm less fond of in TR3. If there's one current level that I wish got cut out then it would have to be Madubu Gorge as that's my least favourite level.
Old 08-06-21, 05:19   #8
medioka_music
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenapple968 View Post
Personally, I'm glad that the level did get cut out as it's one of the levels that I'm less fond of in TR3. If there's one current level that I wish got cut out then it would have to be Madubu Gorge as that's my least favourite level.
It is a pretty average level in itself. The only thing it really has going for it is the location and atmosphere. As for Madubu Gorge, although the Kayak is incredibly frustrating to handle I love the level. Getting to travel by parts on foot that you also go through with the Kayak is a cool concept plus it's a beautiful level.
Old 08-06-21, 08:57   #9
CheshireBitch
Archaeologist

Not a big fan of the level but it's really cool to have a bonus one so I don't mind ! I wish we had bonus level on other TR too !
CheshireBitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-21, 11:03   #10
fallenangle
Archaeologist

Its not brilliant, clearly unfinished and is a pain in the **** if you're doing a minimal damage run. But it has some good ideas and I've had a lot of entertainment from messing around in it over the years.

Its a decent reward for finding all the other levels' secrets. I have less than good feelings about some of those eg. the Lud's Gate diver room and the seemingly endless wasp/hornet nest spawning in Tinnos.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote