Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 05-07-22, 06:33   #1
DaroRaider

Default Killing statue guard triggers event. ( TR3 )

Hello,
it's been a long time since I contributed with a new research.

This time I was inspecting some possibilities with TR3 engine, and found a way to trigger events when an enemy dies!

In the next video, there are four templar statues guarding a cage.
If you kill a guard, another wakes up and so.. when finally you kill the last one, the cage is raised up and you grab the item to trigger 'end level' command.

I don't really know if this was achieved before ( In TR3 engine ), AFAIK it wasn't.

Good luck!
DaroRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-22, 07:40   #2
croftyboy

I wish you had written a tutorial of how to do it. Is it hardcoded for shiva statue slot or is it just the same switch trigger trick I never worked on TR2 or 3 engines so I don't know if the same switch trigger trick works on them. But it's quite possible as it works in TR1 and TR4 so rationally it should be there on TR2&3.
croftyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-22, 18:43   #3
GameGlitcher77

Talking Nice...

Thanx Daroraider for using my Undead Templar Knights

Now let me see a fexinspect of that room with the trigger info for the cage. Myself, Feder, "Tox", and theWolf could put that setup to good use.
GameGlitcher77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-22, 19:23   #4
Leoc1995

This is really cool. I'm working on TR3 engine in my new project and found some interesting things to use in my level, but never noticed this.

How it works? You used a "heavy" switch for it?

Now i'm curious
Leoc1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-22, 20:20   #5
DaroRaider

I will let you know, how to setup this:

You need to set on death animation of the templar knight, the effect of Flipmap.

Say in TRviewer:

command = 6
frame = 1
effect = 13 ( flipmap )

With this, you make sure each time a templar knight is died, there will be a switch between rooms:

Thames Wharf Machine and alternate Rooms:

This is the setup part of the puzzle. You start by activating the thames wharf machine and activate the first statue as well. When you kill the statue, there will automatically be a flipmap for the death animation, then the thames wharf machine will follow its path in the alternate room path to activate the next statue in an item_at_sector trigger while the thames wharf is "locked" between the wall and a door. After you kill the second guardian, there will be another flipmap effect and the thames wharf will make its way into the room it flipped over and repeat the same step... and so on until it reaches the last item_at_sector which is the one that makes the cage rise.

The logic in synthesis is easy, the thames wharf activates the guard, and machine is "locked" in a room A, and is "released" and continues on its way to room "B", and that cycle is repeated. What makes you move from one room to another is the guardian's death flipmap.

It may be difficult to understand , but you can see it better in the file that I am going to attach to the level.

Now you can see the video how it is moving the thames wharf:

Download .tr2:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rym...ew?usp=sharing

PS: Sure, I did know there are lot of guys using tr3 engine: gameglitcher, Leoc or Feder, and you are doing very good levels. This setup if is still deeply studied could turn very interisting.

PS1: Not sure if this can be implemented in TR2 as there is not any Thames Wharf equivalent moveable with the same behaviour. It's basically easy to implement in tr3 with Warf Machine and with any enemy as long as you put the flipmap effect on its death animation.

Last edited by DaroRaider; 18-08-22 at 07:15.
Old 05-07-22, 23:33   #6
Feder

Very interesting discovery Daro this could be useful for some sort of final battle. I think that anim command is used on Tony's animation when he sets the room on fire. The Thames Whraf machine is so much useful as a special event trigger rather than a trap
Feder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-22, 11:55   #7
DaroRaider

I just edited, it's not command 5 but 6,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feder View Post
The Thames Whraf machine is so much useful as a special event trigger rather than a trap
Yes seems so.. this moveable is rather interisting.
Btw, didn't notice how Tonyboss scene is done. I just checked, and couldn't find this command either
Old 18-09-22, 03:29   #8
DaroRaider

Thumbs up Update!

I have found a way to make a sequence where each time you kill a yeti other is triggered and so for 8 in total.
This is for TR2. There is the video.

If you inspect the file "wall.tr2" you can see how this was implemented. I could make it the "most clean" as possible for an easy understanding.
I cannot write a tutorial as it is hard to explain because it uses lot of moveables and some mechanism involved must be inspected and implemented exact as it is.

Room #0 and Room #1 ( setup triggers )
Room #2 ( mechanism )
Room #3 ( Trigger the shooter sequence )
Room #4 ( Exit level )

NOTE: Yeti must have flipmap event on the detah animation slot!

Download packet:

-Assets to load project on Dxtre3d.
-Wall.tr2 file to directly inspect.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Wk?usp=sharing

Last edited by DaroRaider; 18-09-22 at 04:02.