Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 07-09-14, 21:15   #1
jajay119

Default Dino Crisis Discussion Thread

Ok, So it's been so long since we had a Dino Crisis game now that many younger forum users might not even know of the series. But, just in case you don't.

Dino Crisis, was created by the makers or Resident Evil in 1999 for the PlayStation and followed in the same vein of survival horror, puzzle solving and combat and actually had a really nice atmosphere. It featured Regina, Gale and Rick who went to explore a facility only to find a weird experiment called the 'third energy' had caused Dinosaurs to appear in modern times.

Dino Crisis 2 came one year later, also on Playstation, in 2000 and featured a new lead player, and gameplay that was significantly more action orientated than the first. It carried on the story from the first indirectly and we learned more about the 'Third Energy'. The game ended on a cliffhanger and left fans craving more.

DINO CRISIS 3
We don't speak of Dino Crisis 3. Needless to say it didn't continue the story, was set in space, the dinosaurs weren't dinosaurs and for god only knows what reason was an xbox exclusive despite the previous 2 having their initial releases and main install bases on PS1. It pretty much killed the series and we never got a sequel nor the ending to the story from 2.

Earlier this year, Xbox Magazine UK reported that Capcom were apparently looking to reboot the series and would make an announcement at Tokyo Games Show this year. Well TGS is about two weeks away so I thought it would be good to open this thread for opinion on the topic. Should Capcom reboot Dino Crisis? Or is it better for the series to remain dead? Do you even think Capcom would reboot the series? Or you could just talk about the first two games. Your call.

Last edited by jajay119; 07-09-14 at 21:27.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 21:16   #2
sackboy123

I want a sequal to Dino Crisis 2 where Regina goes back and saves Dylan
sackboy123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 21:19   #3
jajay119

Quote:
Originally Posted by sackboy123 View Post
I want a sequal to Dino Crisis 2 where Regina goes back and saves Dylan
I too would like this, but I think I've come to accept that after the disgrace of a catastrophy that was the third game we're not going to see that unless in a rebooted universe. The series has been gone for a while now so I think it would make more sense for it to start afresh. A reboot or maybe even a remake.

I think Capcom couldn't really lose out here. Capcom has both Survival Horror and more action orientated entries so they could go one way or the other or find a healthy balance and I think everyone would be happy. Not to mention there's not much about Dinosaurs out lately and with horror having a revival of late it may spurr Capcom on to reboot or remake the first or second game and continue from there.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 21:23   #4
matrix54

I think I'm the only person that enjoyed 3. Don't get me wrong, it's a poor game, but I enjoyed my time with it.
matrix54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 21:25   #5
robm_2007

DC1 is so hard. Challenging, confusing, impossible combat (seriously, those dinosaurs are immune to handgun rounds), but by the end of it, it turned out to be a great game. It's Resident Evil with dinosaurs. How could that not be good? 8/10

I know Legend gets a lot of flack, and I have been known to thrown an oceans' worth amount of acid at Splinter Cell: Conviction, but DC2 is the cheapest sell-out whore in all of gaming history and makes those two look like they were made by holy beings.

I can't fathom why they would have changed the game so much. You literally do nothing but run and shoot. We should hold vigils for the crime that was DC2. It's not even fun as is. I did like the new evade system, expanded selection of guns, and the side arms/melee weapons, but that's about it. 2/10

I've never played DC3, but I am hesitant to even look at videos of it because of how hated it is. I would love for them to "REmake" DC1, but yeah, no, that's not happening. A reboot would be nice, assuming it's good.

Last edited by robm_2007; 07-09-14 at 21:26.
robm_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 21:36   #6
Baratheon

Dino Crisis is a classic. Dino Crisis 2 isn't so bad but it does begin to border on disaster, and...
Dino Crisis 3 is the very definitive of "trash". Trash in space.

Literally out-of-this-world trash.
Trash that mates with dinosaurs/humans in space trash.

If only they kept the format of the first game!
Baratheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 22:49   #7
rewak

You're missing Dino Stalker
rewak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 22:55   #8
ri_oh
Inactive

I actually ended up really liking Dino Crisis 2. At first I didn't really "get" it. But after a while I came to enjoy the hybrid survival horror/arcade run and gun design. Story was a bit whacky, but I loved the twist at the end.

It's not the horror masterpiece the first game is. I consider Dino Crisis 1 far scarier than any of the original REs. I would like to see this series come back. Even just get the HD treatment.
ri_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 23:13   #9
Babou

I hope they are planning on a revival for this series. With horror making a resurgence lately it would be great to see another series revived with it. Resident Evil Remastered and Revelations 2, Silent Hills and a new Dino Crisis would be great. The AAA game industry would be silly not to do some and miss out on the cash.
Babou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 23:24   #10
ri_oh
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babou View Post
I hope they are planning on a revival for this series. With horror making a resurgence lately it would be great to see another series revived with it. Resident Evil Remastered and Revelations 2, Silent Hills and a new Dino Crisis would be great. The AAA game industry would be silly not to do some and miss out on the cash.
Very true. Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Alone in the Dark. Even Haunted House is getting a reboot. It's a golden age for classic horror rivals. Dino Crisis would fit right in.
ri_oh is offline   Reply With Quote