www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old Today, 10:58   #15721
Samz
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
Yeah she's crazy. Any halfway valid points she might have are drowned out by ridiculous reaches and extremist stances that make her incredibly hard to take seriously and respect.

I also think that there wouldn't be half as much pushback against the anti-sexualisation crowd, if they didn't insist on desexualising everything (by way of being scathingly critical when something is sexy), and were just asking for generally more diverse female representation and some non-sexualised characters. That's perfectly reasonable.
I remember when she claimed the camera in TR was just for sex appeal.
Old Today, 11:05   #15722
Amunet
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
I am not. Go re-read my above posts if you got that idea. The subject at hand was the visual creation of Lara Croft. I've provided enough evidence (that was found by another Twitter user) to prove that in fact, she was visually created for male gaze. IDK why you're trying to point a finger at me, and acusing me of something that I have not done. I've already said that the fandom should have focused and argued with the positive stuff beyond her looks, instead of coming at her calling her delusional an uneducated, and ignoring facts.
I disagree because I don't think you can honestly judge a character simply by looking at its visual design. Creating a character goes way beyond visuals. I just find it limiting and reductive to look at one aspect and not at the whole.

And I was not pointing any fingers at you. In fact, my original post only mention Anita Sarkeesian. And I stand by what I wrote. A character can be sexy without being sexualized. And Lara definitely wasn't.
Old Today, 11:20   #15723
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post
I disagree because I don't think you can honestly judge a character simply by looking at its visual design. Creating a character goes way beyond visuals. I just find it limiting and reductive to look at one aspect and not at the whole.
As shallow as it might be, judging a character by looks does happen - in fact, not only in fictional characters, but with your everyday life, and it happens to classic Lara, who's widely known as the sexy bitch in shorts and duals and smart one liners to people who aren't hardcore fans. And I agree that creating a character goes beyond visuals - damn, I really so agree with this! Even if I'm not too invested in classic Lara as a character, I am deeply invested in LAU and Reboot Lara - both of which I adore beyond her looks - but looks is the first impression you get when you meet someone.

Quote:
And I was not pointing any fingers at you. In fact, my original post only mention Anita Sarkeesian.
The way you replied it felt like you were talking about me. If it wasn't the case, accept my apology.

Quote:
And I stand by what I wrote. A character can be sexy without being sexualized.
I agree to some degree

Quote:
And Lara definitely wasn't.
Yes, she was

And that's the whole point of the huge argument that's been happening on Twitter
Old Today, 11:33   #15724
Chamayoo
Professor

"Male aged 18 to 24 are our target age group"
They kinda succeeded. Little they know the little twist behind it though.