www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Today, 10:58   #15721
Samz
Professor
 
Samz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Helheim
Posts: 4,413
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
Yeah she's crazy. Any halfway valid points she might have are drowned out by ridiculous reaches and extremist stances that make her incredibly hard to take seriously and respect.

I also think that there wouldn't be half as much pushback against the anti-sexualisation crowd, if they didn't insist on desexualising everything (by way of being scathingly critical when something is sexy), and were just asking for generally more diverse female representation and some non-sexualised characters. That's perfectly reasonable.
I remember when she claimed the camera in TR was just for sex appeal.
__________________
"What does it mean to be a Tomb Raider?,It means to collect artifacts for sport"
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:05   #15722
Amunet
Archaeologist
 
Amunet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
I am not. Go re-read my above posts if you got that idea. The subject at hand was the visual creation of Lara Croft. I've provided enough evidence (that was found by another Twitter user) to prove that in fact, she was visually created for male gaze. IDK why you're trying to point a finger at me, and acusing me of something that I have not done. I've already said that the fandom should have focused and argued with the positive stuff beyond her looks, instead of coming at her calling her delusional an uneducated, and ignoring facts.
I disagree because I don't think you can honestly judge a character simply by looking at its visual design. Creating a character goes way beyond visuals. I just find it limiting and reductive to look at one aspect and not at the whole.

And I was not pointing any fingers at you. In fact, my original post only mention Anita Sarkeesian. And I stand by what I wrote. A character can be sexy without being sexualized. And Lara definitely wasn't.
__________________
"I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." Sarah Williams
Amunet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:20   #15723
Vaskito
Relic Hunter
 
Vaskito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Portugal
Posts: 7,342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post
I disagree because I don't think you can honestly judge a character simply by looking at its visual design. Creating a character goes way beyond visuals. I just find it limiting and reductive to look at one aspect and not at the whole.
As shallow as it might be, judging a character by looks does happen - in fact, not only in fictional characters, but with your everyday life, and it happens to classic Lara, who's widely known as the sexy bitch in shorts and duals and smart one liners to people who aren't hardcore fans. And I agree that creating a character goes beyond visuals - damn, I really so agree with this! Even if I'm not too invested in classic Lara as a character, I am deeply invested in LAU and Reboot Lara - both of which I adore beyond her looks - but looks is the first impression you get when you meet someone.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post
And I was not pointing any fingers at you. In fact, my original post only mention Anita Sarkeesian.
The way you replied it felt like you were talking about me. If it wasn't the case, accept my apology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post
And I stand by what I wrote. A character can be sexy without being sexualized.
I agree to some degree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post
And Lara definitely wasn't.
Yes, she was



And that's the whole point of the huge argument that's been happening on Twitter
__________________
A herb thief. He must be really dangerous. -.-
Vaskito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:33   #15724
Chamayoo
Professor
 
Chamayoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,393
Default

"Male aged 18 to 24 are our target age group"
They kinda succeeded. Little they know the little twist behind it though.
__________________
PS2 TRU remaster on Ouya pls
Chamayoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 11:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.