www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 19-02-20, 07:05   #11
Locke217
Archaeologist

Ah I forgot MrJavi! I shouldn't since I've seen him on twitch a couple of times. I didn't realize he had glitchless speedruns as well. We should get more of these runs submitted to the custom level section at speedrun.com

Yesterday I had a great time trying and failing to complete a glitchless speedrun of Mystic Realm by Danath:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/554371339
(this was the closest I got to finishing, but I was so freaked out about getting that far that I forgot how to complete the level...) Seriously, I must've had like 50 resets in the first 4 minutes of the level.

I bit off more than I could chew when it comes to difficulty, but at least this way maybe other levels won't seem so hard by the time I'm done with this one...

Last edited by Locke217; 19-02-20 at 07:13.
Locke217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-20, 17:29   #12
Danath
Archaeologist

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke217 View Post
Yesterday I had a great time trying and failing to complete a glitchless speedrun of Mystic Realm by Danath:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/554371339
(this was the closest I got to finishing, but I was so freaked out about getting that far that I forgot how to complete the level...) Seriously, I must've had like 50 resets in the first 4 minutes of the level.

I bit off more than I could chew when it comes to difficulty, but at least this way maybe other levels won't seem so hard by the time I'm done with this one...
I feel honored knowing that between the 3000+ levels out there, you decided to try and speedrun mine. Too bad i missed it.

Want to know something funny? I have been actually trying to make a NLNMAS ( more like 100% run, picking every item ) of this same level myself for my Youtube channel, without knowing you were doing a speedrun. And i have spent almost 3 hours trying it in the last 2 days.
I was trying to do it as fast as possible, but i have found out it's madness. So good luck...
Old 19-02-20, 21:10   #13
Feder
Student

I think it's a great idea! I always enjoy watching your blind playthroughs, so I would definitely love to see some custom level speedruns

Quote:
Nicely done by the way

Good luck with Danath's Mystic Realm, that should be quite a challenge!
Feder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-20, 00:21   #14
Locke217
Archaeologist

Finished

I'm glad you're here Feder because someone on my channel recommended I ask you about an issue I had with the non-DOS version of your "Ruins of the Lost City" level. It runs flawlessly, just like the modern tombati versions of TR1, HOWEVER I was unable to customize the controls. Being highly reliant on my weird key bindings, this was a big issue for me. I've been playing the DOS version for now. I've had problems with TR3 key bindings in the past but that was always solvable by deleting a certain file from the base folder. I'm not sure how it works with TR1.

I could ask this separately in the TR1 section of the forum if needed.

Last edited by Locke217; 20-02-20 at 00:23.
Locke217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-20, 22:07   #15
Feder
Student

If I recall correctly, the ATI version of "Ruins Of The Lost City" was updated by DJ_Full, he helped me reduce the size of the folder, fix some bugs, and provided a different version of ATI that skips the FMVs (among other things). I tested it just now and I couldn't change the controls either.

However, I have a version of ATI that DO allows you to customize the controls, and even has a different object for the controls option:

So I guess its an issue of the updated version that I really wouldn't know how to fix
Feder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-20, 02:51   #16
Locke217
Archaeologist

^My version has both those 2 objects depending on whether I'm in the main menu or the ingame menu.

Anyhoo:
Old 02-03-20, 22:06   #17
xtimz
Historian

Quote:
IDK how much interest there is in the TRLE community for this kind of stuff, but I'm well aware the speedrunning community at large hasn't seemed too interested in the "no glitches" category for custom levels (even glitched runs are few and far between).
I'm really not complaining. I just don't know how to say these things in any other ways. And I'm not suggesting any change on the current state.

Speedrunning is not easy. It needs extensive discussions to find the tricks. A problem with custom level is you can't find anywhere to discuss these tricks. Nearly every forum has strict rules for custom levels. For example, on trle.net, you can only ask questions before the walkthrough comes out. For another example, on tombraiderforums.com, you can only have one post per level annoucing the completion. By comparison, each official game has an entire board to discuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven35175 View Post
I am still curious about how people find the glitch for the speedrun? Trying every walls? Not common to see speedrun video. Nice BTW
Oh, it's tough. Not only trying every wall. You need to accumulate the tricks through time, through many discussions from many people. Each game engine has slight difference, which is crucial to speedruns.
xtimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 22:35   #18
SSJ6Wolf
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtimz View Post
For example, on trle.net, you can only ask questions before the walkthrough comes out.
This is definitely not a rule. Some users there would love to see more activity in the Stuck In A Level section, and even prefer it over using a walkthrough. I bet speed running discussions would be welcomed.
SSJ6Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-20, 10:21   #19
Gerty
Student

Quote:
For example, on trle.net, you can only ask questions before the walkthrough comes out.
As SSJ6Wolf already said it is NOT a rule. As long as you put it in same thread but that means doing a search and not everyone is up to that.
The rule is no walkthrough for 14 days but now with the walkies on youtube (sometimes even 1 day later) you see indeed less use of the stuck forum.

As for a speed-run section? Why not PM Michael Prager and ask him (he is the boss ) I personally think it is rather a good idea.
Gerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-20, 18:17   #20
Titak

Quote:
For another example, on tombraiderforums.com, you can only have one post per level annoucing the completion.
And since when is that a rule here?
It is not. Never has been, never will be.

You can discuss custom levels you are playing here, just like you can on trle.net forums. Since trle.net forums has a more active "stuck" section, people tend to go there.
But you are free to create a stuck thread for whatever level you are playing here as well.