www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 21-11-19, 00:51   #1
JayB18
Archaeologist

Default CD should look at Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order for inspiration

Having played a good amount of Respawn's new Star Wars game I have to say I'm impressed and recommend TR fans look into it. This game is what I kinda wished the reboot games would be. The game has actual tombs and both tombs so far were massive with multiple puzzles, traps, chambers, and paths requiring exploration. Platforming although automatic like most action adventure games nowadays often requires some timing or use of powers making it require a bit more player input. Exploration is required to figure out where you are going and the level design is interconnected and mazelike similar to dark souls/bloodborne. There are no waypoints and the map updates as you explore so you need to figure out where to go on your own and with multiple paths makes exploration engaging. Finally there are secrets leading to to find generally health or force upgrades and many require solving mini puzzles or platforming challenges. It's honestly feels like more of a tomb raider game in the Star wars universe of course than Tomb raider does at times.
JayB18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-19, 01:48   #2
AimlessThunder
Professor

This make me exited about playing the game.. I watched the making of video and one of the devs referred to Lara as Laura. Damn it!
Old 21-11-19, 09:37   #3
Persefone
Explorer

I've been saying TR should be all about challenging platforming not this weird ledge ladder climbing with half assed mechanics we got going on, ppl want challenge not magnetic ledges
Persefone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-19, 09:49   #4
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

You have peaked my curiosity. I have said for years that Dark Souls/Bloodborne should be Tomb Raiders main inspiration. Perhaps I should try this game if it's as good as it sounds.
Old 21-11-19, 13:52   #5
JayB18
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
You have peaked my curiosity. I have said for years that Dark Souls/Bloodborne should be Tomb Raiders main inspiration. Perhaps I should try this game if it's as good as it sounds.
Yeah. They nailed the exploration and level design for the most part. Platforming has a ways to go but it's more interesting at times.
JayB18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-19, 13:59   #6
killchan
Explorer

CD should look at Tomb Raider for inspiration.
Old 21-11-19, 14:00   #7
Nigel Cassidy
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by killchan View Post
CD should look at Tomb Raider for inspiration.
I was just about to say that
Nigel Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-19, 14:11   #8
Hazelphoenix
Professor

Sounds exactly like my kind of game. You’re not the first TR fan to recommend it, I’ve read plenty of positive opinions on twitter too so this makes it even more intriguing. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
I have said for years that Dark Souls/Bloodborne should be Tomb Raiders main inspiration.
Oooh totally. I already thought Bloodborne was very reminiscent of classic TRs in some aspects and expanding my knowledge on the franchise by playing DS and DS3 further reinforced my opinion. There’s quite some places that reminded me of Core Design as far as level design and art style are concerned.

Also, the fact that it’s not all that simple to traverse levels due to the maze-like environments (like op mentioned) honestly makes exploration meaningful and infinitely more fun, add some TR-style puzzles scattered around like finding keys/key items or that one puzzle in DS3 where you have to extinguish 3 flames and you have a modernisation of the classic formula.

All in all they’re AMAZING games. If one day TR had to switch developer/publisher again, I’d gladly put the franchise in FromSoftware’s hands.
Hazelphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-19, 15:51   #9
AshesBorn
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persefone View Post
I've been saying TR should be all about challenging platforming not this weird ledge ladder climbing with half assed mechanics we got going on, ppl want challenge not magnetic ledges
JFO also has auto-grab though. It seems to function pretty similarly to Reboot.

Last edited by AshesBorn; 21-11-19 at 15:55.
AshesBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-19, 16:34   #10
Portugalraider
Professor

If only it wasn't an EA game...

Because for what I've read it indeed has a similar structure and gameplay I want for the next Tomb Raider games: a sort of 3D Metroidvania vibe that would be great for mandatory exploration on the hubs.

Which TR2013 sort of did already, but not RotTR nor SotTR, which is one of the reasons I prefer the hubs in the first reboot game