www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 23-09-19, 04:23   #1
moodydog
Relic Hunter

Default Thomas Cook has entered liquidation

The major airline brand has entered liquidation ceasing all current and future travel plans. Thousands of holiday makers have also been left stranded abroad as TC has apparently failed a bid to return them home.
A couple of holiday makers have also been described as being held hostage in their hotel in Tunis as TC failed to pay the hotels.
The hotel demanded extra payment directly from the customers, as much as 4000, and would not let them leave until they have paid.
Thousands of jobs also at high risk.

I woke up this morning a bit baffled. Awful.

Last edited by moodydog; 24-09-19 at 06:26.
moodydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-19, 04:25   #2
charmedangelin
Relic Hunter

I smell a bunch of lawsuits coming their way.
Old 23-09-19, 18:52   #3
Greatest TR
Explorer

Well it's not shocking is it? Once the company go bust and that's it. You are no longer a customer to them.

Thomas Cook has been struggling for years because of mismanagement in the company and raked up the 1.6 billion of pounds in debt and they did ask Goverment bailout request for 250 million but Goverment pretty much said **** off. They should have closed down years ago and all this could have been avoid, not leave it at the last minute where employees lost their job without a notice and abandoned their ex customer over abroad. heck, they were selling plane ticket untill last night which is nuts.

Thomas cook is a 175 years old company, they had a good run all these years, I can't fault them to be honest.

Edit
So was talking to my best friend over the phone and heard how his holiday was booked with them. I looked up his hotel online for the same dates on booking dot com and put the same options as he had booked and well it was pretty much 600 cheaper for the same deal. I can see how they went bust now , they simply got replaced with a online do it your self service that saves hundreds of pounds. They should have done the same, it's blockbuster and Netflix all over again. Companies need to keep up with the changing market, it is their own fault.

Last edited by jackali; 23-09-19 at 23:58. Reason: Censor circumvention
Greatest TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-19, 09:21   #4
DragonSlayer
Professor

IMO just because a company collapses doesn't mean that their responsibility to their customers ends.

The company should fly those affected home and they should unground the planes instead of the British taxpayer being stuck with a 100 million pound bill to bring the affected home, refueling however many planes Thomas Cook has must be cheaper than the 100 million pounds it will cost to get all those people home.

Why is it always the taxpayer that has to pay the bill whenever something goes wrong, they are not to blame for the company collapsing so why should they be the ones to pay for it, it's whoever was in charge at Thomas Cook that should be paying to get everyone that's stranded home.

Why can't some of the 200 million that Thomas Cook was looking for to avoid collapsing be used to get all those affected home, I don't see a reason why some of that money can't be used.

If I were in charge at Thomas and it ceased trading I wouldn't leave all those people high and dry over something that wasn't their fault.

Other airlines should step up and offer to fly those affected home without charging them excessive amounts of money for flights and transfers and anything else they might need, if I ran my own airline I would fly everyone affected home free of charge.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-19, 10:13   #5
dcw123
Relic Hunter

I had a holiday booked through them and almost had a heartattack at the thought of my holiday being cancelled.
Luckily Thomas Cook was a third party and it was actually through Expedia, which means thank God everything turned out OK
Issue is sites like Booking.com etc - everyone just does their own thing now, hardly anyone actually goes to a travel agents anymore - but they are miles cheaper - so who can blame people

Venice in November, cannot wait - mega TR2 vibes!!

Last edited by dcw123; 24-09-19 at 10:15.
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-19, 16:41   #6
Greatest TR
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw123 View Post
I had a holiday booked through them and almost had a heartattack at the thought of my holiday being cancelled.
Luckily Thomas Cook was a third party and it was actually through Expedia, which means thank God everything turned out OK
Issue is sites like Booking.com etc - everyone just does their own thing now, hardly anyone actually goes to a travel agents anymore - but they are miles cheaper - so who can blame people

Venice in November, cannot wait - mega TR2 vibes!!
Well there you Please to know everything are okay. Me and my partner came back from Dublin last sunday, the same day it announce that Thomas cook gone bust. I'm glad we didn't book Thomas Cook flight or otherwise we would be stuck and can't get back to our childrens and my two business to run. I can't even imagine if that did happen to us. It's shame, I must have use Thomas flight atlease 30 times without a issue.
Old 30-09-19, 12:51   #7
DragonSlayer
Professor

Maybe they could have a cook-off to help those stranded in various countries with a load of celebrity chefs taking part
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote