www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 06-10-19, 20:26   #71
SpyrosMonster
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
From the perspective of the reboot trilogy, Lara's wealthy and privileged upbringing definitely spoiled her entire "relatable" factor for me. She was kind of a blank canvas in TR2013; what we saw was what we got. And for the most part she was relatable, in that she felt like a person I could know in real life. You have to suspend your disbelief when it comes to the whole "slaughtering hundreds of men" and not "getting dying from life threatening injuries and infected wounds" part. It is a video game, after all. I digress -
The further the games dived into her backstory, the less I related to her and the more I disliked her in general. I find it hard to feel sympathetic to a character who grew up in a mansion filled with riches. HOWEVER, I didn't resent classic Lara for being rich - but Core wasn't trying to make me relate to her emotionally, and that's the difference. I wanted to BE Lara - rich, bad ass, and adventurer.

To tie all this back to OP's suggestion to make Lara poor...would it help tick all OP's boxes and retain the "repeatability"? Mmm......I don't think it's necessary. I know I just complained about her being rich killing my connection to her, but it really comes down to the greater narrative of Rise/Shadow. She doesn't have to be explicitly poor, just don't flaunt her massive old English mansion filled with ancient artifacts in front of my face and then expect me to cry when she finds her dad murdered in his office - especially not all in the same breath. I don't relate to any of that and literally never will, because the entire premise of Lara's upbringing doesn't happen in real life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle Croft View Post
Survivor Lara is a white girl from privledge who has guilt from her aristocrasy, father seen as crazy, white saviour guilt. She tries too hard to save everyone.
Spot on!
SpyrosMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-19, 21:10   #72
krycekuva
Relic Hunter

lara has always been rich and has always pushed it onto our faces, pretty shamelessly. "welcome to my humble abode" and there lies riches and an arc of the covenant... while i agree that a more relatable lara would be nice to have, i dont think we should go as far as to reboot it yet again... or even have her loose her manor. having the next game have her loose her manor would be rethreading something we already had in rise. lets just keep the manor and not talk about the logistics. we shouldnt bother with knowing how she pays for whatever. its not part of the game.
krycekuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-19, 21:16   #73
Tomb Raidering
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by krycekuva View Post
lara has always been rich and has always pushed it onto our faces, pretty shamelessly. "welcome to my humble abode" and there lies riches and an arc of the covenant... while i agree that a more relatable lara would be nice to have, i dont think we should go as far as to reboot it yet again... or even have her loose her manor. having the next game have her loose her manor would be rethreading something we already had in rise. lets just keep the manor and not talk about the logistics. we shouldnt bother with knowing how she pays for whatever. its not part of the game.
We probably should see what she ate at breakfast, think about whether she’s full or hungry, and feel sorry for her to work late-shifts just for a humble living in the next game... Oh, and when is her psychiatrist meeting???

Old 18-10-19, 23:18   #74
RICER ACCORDV6
Hobbyist

poor lara sounds better than rich lara imo
RICER ACCORDV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-19, 03:50   #75
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

Might as well do, she's already so far departed from the original character, what's making her poor on top of that?

Old 19-10-19, 10:10   #76
Samz
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
Might as well do, she's already so far departed from the original character, what's making her poor on top of that?

But didn't you see Blood Tides where she isn't entitled to her family's stuff....for some really dumb legal reason that is apparently also completely made up.

Shes totally relatable guys!

Last edited by Samz; 19-10-19 at 10:12.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-19, 10:16   #77
Tomb Raidering
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
But didn't you see Blood Tides where she isn't entitled to her family's stuff....for some really dumb legal reason that is apparently also completely made up.

She is now, after finding her mother’s hidden grave.

I honestly don’t think that the UK has dumb laws like that. Once your parents both die, their property is all yours (or shared between you and your siblings...); at least in most modern countries...

It was just made up for a-story-driven Croft Manor’s sake...

Last edited by Tomb Raidering; 19-10-19 at 10:20.
Tomb Raidering is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-19, 12:36   #78
Zsott
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post

Well, while Lara was a minor, Atlas was the care taker of the Croft estate, since he's the last -and closest- relative of hers. (Question is, who raised her?)
I remember reading somewhere, Lara deliberately didn't accessed the Croft fortune, hence why she choosed to work late nights at the nine bells. (Even when becoming an adult, she should have complete access to the fortune and the manor)
The thing is, when Lara grew up, she didn't wanted to go back to the manor and Atlas wouldn't let her in anyway; He's standing point was illegal and based on emotions (blaming Richard for Amelia's death, and genreally disliking him). Let's add that Atlas is a lawyer, if I remember right. (from the comics) He even accused Lara being mentally unstable (after Yamatai) and for that he refused to let her in the manor, unless she goes to therapy.
We do know (from the terapist trailer and the tapes in RoTR) she complied, so Blood Ties come into play.

It's just annoyingly twisted and childish.
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-19, 20:50   #79
Nigel Cassidy
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post

It would actually make the reboot protagonist a more logical and plausible character: now there have to be all these shoehorned-in reasons as to why she doesn't buy proper equipment when going on expedition and to why she's working in a bar (at least she was in TR9, I don't know if that still is going on...). The being rich and having a mansion thing is a leftover from the pre-reboot games that doesn't fit well in the reboot setting.
Nigel Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-19, 20:17   #80
Lyle Croft
Relic Hunter

They should have just done a comic book route and hinted this is a different universe with different circumstances. And then in a cutscene *surprise* core and LAu lara pop up through a portal