www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 14-10-19, 17:54   #121
Dennis's Mom

Great example. It's like they don't pay attention to the story they're telling enough to really think about things from one scene to another or whether what the characters are doing make sense for the circumstances.

In 2013, they're being hunted by murderous madmen, but they build a big freaking bonfire after Roth dies. You could see that for miles, and it's such a stupid thing to do.

Everyone loved Roth, and I get they wanted to "honor" him, but too much has happened and all of it bad. Lighting up a beacon so they bad guys can find is not anything people would really do. The fact that the bad guys didn't show up merely compounds the stupidity.

This is why I really respect the story told in TLOU, because they really thought about the story and changed things that didn't make sense. Tess was actually supposed to chase Joel and Ellie, but they realized it simply made no sense for her to do it, so they scrapped it.
Old 14-10-19, 20:34   #122
trfan16
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
Late to the party but: I donít think it is hard to write a good TR story. The story should be about the adventure and Laraís journey along that line. The problem is CD insist on making the entire experience about Lara and her family drama which, no offence to them, is boring and overplayed. They also have a habit of making things too grand and making it hard to resolve: extending the Arthurian myth from Legend into a mono myth story in TRU, including too many characters and not paying their stories off properly like TRU and the reboot, constantly getting people kidnapped like any reboot game and making Trinity into an ancient worldwide shadow organisation that Lara could never feasibly stand up to etc. Just make it about the artifact and the adventure again - Lara can show growth and friendships along the way. Many people compare TR to Uncharted and say the latter does it better but the latter also knows how to plan a story and where to draw the line.
I agree, I would rather have the plot focus around the featured artifact and lore without trying to shoehorn Lara's family issues into the story like the past 6 CD games. That's not to say that CD is incapable of telling a good story. In fact, TRL features one of my favorite stories in the series. I can even overlook the Lara "looking for her lost mother" subplot since it was the first time in the series that Lara's family became a focal point in the game. Unfortunately, they decided to end the game on the cliffhanger and throw the Avalon plot out altogether within the first 10 minutes of Underworld. TR2013 was another game that had the potential to have a great story. Lara getting shipwrecked on an island with an undead goddess sounds like a good story on paper. When I first played this game, I love the mystery surrounding the island and the Stormguard Warriors. It gave off Bermuda Triangle vibes. Unfortunately, the game felt like a soap opera at times with the quarreling between the other Endurance crew members and some of Lara's campfire monologues. It's still one of my favorite stories in the series (behind Legends and Last Revelation), but it's a shame that her family drama has to become a plot point in every single game.
trfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-19, 20:46   #123
Samz
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis's Mom View Post
Great example. It's like they don't pay attention to the story they're telling enough to really think about things from one scene to another or whether what the characters are doing make sense for the circumstances.

In 2013, they're being hunted by murderous madmen, but they build a big freaking bonfire after Roth dies. You could see that for miles, and it's such a stupid thing to do.

Everyone loved Roth, and I get they wanted to "honor" him, but too much has happened and all of it bad. Lighting up a beacon so they bad guys can find is not anything people would really do. The fact that the bad guys didn't show up merely compounds the stupidity.

This is why I really respect the story told in TLOU, because they really thought about the story and changed things that didn't make sense. Tess was actually supposed to chase Joel and Ellie, but they realized it simply made no sense for her to do it, so they scrapped it.
You forgot the bit where Lara tells the others to leave her behind at, I think the bonfire?...and they actually do it.

Its the kind of behaviour I expect out of that the mandatory "Idiot who dies first" horror trope.

Last edited by Samz; 14-10-19 at 20:47.
Samz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-19, 21:44   #124
Rai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
It was still just Rihana in Rise I think.
Rhianna was used as the face of the writing team, but there was a team. She wasn't given that much freedom and some of her ideas weren't used. She wasn't responsible even for in game dialogue. There were aspects of the stories I do really like, but one thing I noticed was there did seem to be a lack of communication between the teams and possibly CD heads.
Old 14-10-19, 21:49   #125
Tomb Raidering
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Rhianna was used as the face of the writing team, but there was a team. She wasn't given that much freedom and some of her ideas weren't used. She wasn't responsible even for in game dialogue. There were aspects of the stories I do really like, but one thing I noticed was there did seem to be a lack of communication between the teams and possibly CD heads.
Thatís what I meant. A team writing a story with no communication, which creates awkward inconsistencies. Itís worse if compare Rise and Shadow...