www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 28-09-19, 15:59   #11
Grimaldi
Professor

Ascension mixed with TR2013. *sob*

My ideal TR moving forward would be:

A reboot continuation, with a Lara staying true to her word at the end of Shadow and taking herself less seriously. A more stylish approach to appearance, visually and physically (as in, animations).

A moveset akin to Underworld’s that retains the grappling mechanics of Shadow. Rappelling was a lot of fun.

Optional crypts and puzzles. I think they’re a natural evolution of the classic secrets, which would sometimes have entire areas of a level be exclusive to uncovering them. The main path just needs to balance itself with sufficient tombs so the bulk of that gameplay isn’t optional.

The adventure being tomb and atmosphere focused. More ruins and temples, less urban and modern (yes, the classics did this too).

Brian D’Oliveria as composer.

Training wheels off. No white paint, survival instincts or hints from Lara.

If sidequests return, they should all serve towards making you feel like a tomb raider. I don’t want to see any drones or animal hunting.

More fantastical elements. Please put down the “truth behind myth” theme they started with Legend.

Creative traps. See the ones in the Serpent’s Heart and The Path Home.

Manageable inventory and item inspection akin to the Resident Evil 2 remake. At the very least, I’d like to combine items again, but being able to inspect and “solve” items you pick up feels very TR.

No more crafting, skill systems or weapon upgrading. New abilities/equipment unlocked by beating tombs or progressing in the story are welcome though.

Stronger side characters.

Lastly, Croft Manor. It’s a great way to show Lara’s personality and the continuity between her adventures, as well as being good fun.
Old 28-09-19, 17:04   #12
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

^ 100% this.

I don’t, however, mind a little crafting or skill systems, so long as it’s on a much smaller scale and it doesn’t rob you of abilities that should probably be available from the start.
Old 28-09-19, 17:14   #13
Athukraz
Relic Hunter

- New animations
- Decent outfits
- Dual Pistols
- Sam, Jonah and Reyes brought back, especially Sam since she makes the most sense out of them all.
- Main path traps like The Serpent's Heart
- Egypt/Desert environment
- Globetrotting
- Less serious Lara
- Vehicles!

Last edited by Athukraz; 28-09-19 at 19:39.
Athukraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-19, 19:30   #14
JsotoTRSaga
Relic Hunter

Dual Pistols
Complex Level Design
Keys and Levers
Trap Rooms
No Magnetic Jumps
No melodramatic Lara
No parents except perhaps in a picture or a document at Croft Manor
A light hearted story
A great villain like the ones we had from TR1-TRU
Croft Manor
References to the entire series
Vehicles
Globe Trotting
Old Characters get a cameo

Last edited by JsotoTRSaga; 28-09-19 at 19:36.
JsotoTRSaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-19, 14:19   #15
XXIIXX
Student

As far as Lara goes, even if I'm not 100% feeling Reboot Lara yet, I think this should be her chance to prove that she's finally that bitch. Seeing a more vulnerable and not yet fully capable Lara was fun but I think her evolution took a bit too long. Now I think she's ready to be more sassy, more relentless more passionate. To me, LAU Lara was the perfect balance between being portrayed as a more emotional character while at the same time still being funny and "larger than life".

I don't mind the realistic approach to how she dresses but I think I'd be cool if she was able to wear legacy outfits like the Classic, Legend, AoD etc.

As far as the gameplay goes, above all else I desperately need globetrotting to return. Have her go to many different places in the same game. Open world is fine but it can also be extremely overwhelming and also limiting. A jungle level, a desert level, a city level, a military base level, a snowy mountain level, all in one game. Legend completely nailed that aspect for me, I don't think we've had so many diverse environments in one game either before or after Legend. I don't mind the skills and weapon upgrades but I wouldn't miss them either.

Other than that, I'd love the dual pistols to return and maybe the bow can be "downgraded" to a crossbow, I don't think how practical is bringing a bow around over having two pistols. They've tried really hard to push it as her new main weapon though so I don't think it's going away. Other than that I think I really like the four-weapon system they have going on so the shotgun and rifle should stay as secondary weapons as well. I also miss her acrobatics. I know they're not realistic or whatever but it was fun when you could just flip around in LAU for no apparent reason. The cartwheels on the balancing beams and the handstands when climbing ledges and doing 360° spins around horizontal poles as well. There was no practical reason for Lara to do all that stuff yet it looked cool. I'd personally choose cool Lara over realistic Lara any day. This Western obsession with realism is making games less fun. Japanese developers go out of their way to make their games as much fantasy themed as possible and they're still lots of fun. Maybe that sort of mentality could fun of from Square Enix to Crystal Dynamics...

As far as story goes I don't think I have too many expectations? I enjoyed the story in the Classics. I enjoyed the story in AoD, in the TRilogy, the Reboot, hell even the Lara Croft side games. Just make Lara look cool and have a more diverse setting and I'm good to go.
Old 19-10-19, 03:58   #16
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXIIXX View Post
As far as Lara goes, even if I'm not 100% feeling Reboot Lara yet, I think this should be her chance to prove that she's finally that bitch. Seeing a more vulnerable and not yet fully capable Lara was fun but I think her evolution took a bit too long. Now I think she's ready to be more sassy, more relentless more passionate. To me, LAU Lara was the perfect balance between being portrayed as a more emotional character while at the same time still being funny and "larger than life".
Soo... a personality transplant?

I love that idea tbh. I don't care how unnaturally "forced" it's done, I'm so ready to be done with this current Lara.
Old 19-10-19, 04:58   #17
XXIIXX
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
Soo... a personality transplant?

I love that idea tbh. I don't care how unnaturally "forced" it's done, I'm so ready to be done with this current Lara.
Doesn't necessarily need to be this way. Reboot Lara can be funny and witty and powerful too and she has been those things in the past three games, just not as much as she used to in the previous nine.

I don't expect them to just ditch the character development they've been working on for the past six years, and they shouldn't, but Lara is the Tomb Raider Raider at this point so, naturally, she should start feeling and acting less vulnerable and insecure and more bold and sassy.