Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Last Revelation

Old 27-09-20, 16:40   #11
ATombRaiderFan

Cool

Indiana Jones pics, for good measure.

ATombRaiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-20, 19:39   #12
.snake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATombRaiderFan View Post
Indiana Jones pics, for good measure.

Yeah, the best actual Easter Egg in TR4 is the Indiana Jones skeleton in Angkor Wat. It's also a bit of a throwback to the Ark of the Covenant in Croft Manor in TR1, which is cool.

Something else I'd throw into the mix (which isn't so much an Easter Egg but more of an homage I guess) is the opening of Egypt in TR4, contrasted with the opening of Peru in TR1.

TR1:
- Lara and a hired guide are exploring an unknown region and find a sealed entrance to a cave.
- Lara activates the opening to that cave by pressing a stone switch.
- The doors open, and the guide is killed by wolves that run out, which Lara kills, and then she begins her adventure.

TR4:
- Lara and a hired guide are exploring an unknown region and find a sealed entrance to a tomb.
- Lara activates the opening to that tomb by pressing a stone switch.
- Lara and the guide both fall into the tomb, and now, thanks to better AI programming, the guide doesn't get killed by wolves, but accompanies Lara for a while.
- The first few areas in the Tomb of Seth are Caves (different from TR1's Caves but still Caves...) and the first enemies Lara battles (besides small scorpions) are jackals (the Egyptian canine equivalent of the Peruvian wolves).

I know it's a stretch, but since TR4 was meant to be a return to Lara's roots from TR1 (after how non-tomb focused TR2 and TR3 were), I think this homage and borderline Easter Egg feeling with the similarity of how Peru and Egypt begin was intentional.
.snake. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-20, 17:10   #13
Patrick Shannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Chi View Post
The almost inaccessible and hidden exotic palace in TR4's Khufu’s Queen’s Pyramids level, was a well hidden easter egg, until found many years later from the launch date...

Cheers Chi
Such great memories, Chi!
Patrick Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-20, 18:08   #14
red_lion

I believe there are more references to Indiana Jones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tz9cwrm-eE

Look at the scene (06:00-06:12) where Von Croy jumps and grab the ledge. It reminds me of the Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. At 02:18-02:40 Indiana Jones grab the ledge and things goes all smooth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC1ikwQ5Zgc

The golden skulls are a reference to the golden idol in the same movie. They don't look like the original because it would be too obvious.

The skull can also be found in the Tomb Raider Chronicles in one of the last levels (Escape with the Iris) in the cabinet where Lara has to drug a baddy with some chloroform.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JrVYxfLdRI

There are more easter eggs described here: https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...d.php?t=185582

--

The character Von Croy looks a bit like Arnold Toth in Raiders of the lost Ark.

Von Croy

Arnold Toth who sees into the Ark

But it could also been based on German actor Klaus Kinski's character in Fitzcarraldo!

--

Ahmed Ben Trayal is a side figure, a companion of Werner von Croy. In Tomb Raider IV in the first Egypt level Lara raided a tomb of Seth. In the first part with Ahmed, leading the way as guide and holding the torch.

Apparently is last name is “Ben Trayal”, the connection with “Betrayal” can be easily done. He is scared in the section “Sands of Time” with his big eyes.

In the film the Mummy (1999) playes Beni Gabor a guide, an antagonist and he does comic things. He is played by Kevin J. O'Connor. I see some similarity between the two: big eyes, a moustache and a cap on their heads. Obvious not the same colour.

--

Some of the pictures in the Tomb of Seth are reused pictures from Tomb Raider I.

But I don't know for sure of these are easter eggs. It is not a message from the developers but more references to sources.

Last edited by red_lion; 29-09-20 at 18:34.
red_lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-20, 06:40   #15
ATombRaiderFan

Cool

^Another trait that Indiana and Lara has in common is how they keep getting even with their enemies in ironic ways. When Werner stole the Amulet and trapped Lara in a tomb - Lara returned the favour later on by recovering the Amulet and trapping Werner in another tomb. Another was when the guide Ahmed threatened Lara point blank with his gun, and Lara did the same to Ahmed later on in the game.
ATombRaiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-20, 18:27   #16
Baslakor

Not necessary an easter-egg, but there are a LOT of references to the Mummy movie, which only came out a few months earlier. The movie had a similar guide, swarms of flesh eating scarabs and Skeleton guards who could make high jumps (among the most obvious).

Don't know the story about it, but there is definitely some collaboration there.
Baslakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-20, 13:18   #17
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baslakor View Post
Not necessary an easter-egg, but there are a LOT of references to the Mummy movie, which only came out a few months earlier. The movie had a similar guide, swarms of flesh eating scarabs and Skeleton guards who could make high jumps (among the most obvious).

Don't know the story about it, but there is definitely some collaboration there.
I doubt that. The game had to be in a far more final state before The Mummy was released. This is probably just a coincidence since stuff like flesh eating scarabs and living skeletons are very popular in stories about Egyptian Mummy curses and stuff like that. If anything, then both, The Mummy and TLR rather took a lot of inspiration from the original Mummy movie and similar monster and fantasy movies.

Egypt and Mummies were pretty popular in the late 90s anyway. In 97' we had the cartoon show Mummies Alive and in 98' Lego created the first Adventurers sets which were Egyptian themed.

Last edited by Wooxman; 10-10-20 at 13:20.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-20, 00:02   #18
Baslakor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
I doubt that. The game had to be in a far more final state before The Mummy was released. This is probably just a coincidence since stuff like flesh eating scarabs and living skeletons are very popular in stories about Egyptian Mummy curses and stuff like that. If anything, then both, The Mummy and TLR rather took a lot of inspiration from the original Mummy movie and similar monster and fantasy movies.

Egypt and Mummies were pretty popular in the late 90s anyway. In 97' we had the cartoon show Mummies Alive and in 98' Lego created the first Adventurers sets which were Egyptian themed.
1. The Egyptian Scarab is a dung beetle. They are completely harmless to humans and do definitely not attack humans in large swarms to eat them alive. As far as I know, only The Mummy (1999) and TRLE have these kinds of beetles. Normally Egyptian-based movies just use snakes and scorpions as their creepy deadly animals.

2. Skeletons are rarely used in movies, since it's a lot easier to just use zombies. Jason and the Argonauts (1963) and Army of Darkness (1993) had them and the former even had a skeleton making a jump, though nothing as extreme as The Mummy or TRLE. If you check this clip (around 3:35) you can see that not only are they quite fast, they can also make unnatural far jumps. Their armor and weapons are also very similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP8k-798NSE

Of course a movie about ancient Egypt and a game about ancient Egypt will have a lot of similarities, like the guide for example, but these are just weird and extremely specific tropes, leading me to believe they did exchange ideas, probably to promote both products.
Baslakor is offline   Reply With Quote