www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 15-11-22, 12:21   #1
indigo1993
Historian

Default Tihocan and Qualopec

Hey guys, I don't know if this was speculated before, but does anyone know what the deal was with making Qualopec come alive when Lara took the first piece of the Scion, and then Tihocan not be inside his tomb? Crystal deliberately went out of their way to add these changes that were not in the original, but the game never approaches that, and Underworld never deals with it either. Does anyone know if they were supposed to play a bigger role than they did and the idea just end up getting scrapped?
Old 15-11-22, 22:20   #2
HarleyCroft
Professor

This topic interests me too
Honestly Qualopec coming towards Lara and being resealed just in time gave me the chills. It was so cool how they added their own twist on one of the throne guards being somewhat alive still. 6:15 in this video:

I love Anniversary
Old 16-11-22, 06:31   #3
indigo1993
Historian

I love anniversary too 😊
I think the mummy in the cutscene you mentioned is a sort of callback to the OG, because in the original game if im not wrong, you can shoot and "kill" one of the mummies. I'm not even sure if that's a glitch or not but I remember doing that!
But the question still remains about why they went out of their way to hint that Qualopec and Tihocan are still alive xD
Old 18-11-22, 17:15   #4
perryloo
Explorer

@Harleycroft....That video at 6.15, really made me jump, nearly made me lose my coffee

Must play the game again, music is brilliant to go with the action.
perryloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-22, 05:22   #5
Ashnod
Professor

I have no answers for the rationale for Crystal. Eric Lindstrom was pretty tight-lipped about the narrative when he came here to answer our questions after he was longer with CD.

My own speculation, based on how I viewed the scene, was that Qualopec wasn't alive at that time. Removing the Scion fragment simply triggered an automated, aggressive response in the exoskeleton. Something to make it appear that Qualopec was alive and coming for an intruder, with the intent to make the intruder return the piece and leave.

But again, that's all speculation. I have no clue what was happening there from a Word of God standpoint.
Ashnod is offline   Reply With Quote