Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Modding

Old 02-07-22, 13:33   #1
Gh0stBlade

Default [PC] - New TRAoD - Audio Modding Tools

Overview:

For the past 4-5 days I have been working on new tools to mod audio in Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness. These tools only work for the PC platform. Though these tools are fully functional, expect bugs if used incorrectly. It is expected that you do not do anything "undefined" or outside of the modding usage guidelines unless you're an advanced user. Use the tools exactly how the tutorial states!

Use this thread to ask for help regarding these tools.
Do not use this thread for off-topic or asking for download links to sound files or asking for someone to make an audio mod for you.
Give credit if used!

Tool Overview:

CLZ_Win64_Release:
Responsible for decompressing the AWD.CLZ files to AWD.

Responsible for compresssing .AWD files back to .AWD.CLZ.

AWD_Win64_Release:
Responsible for extracting the audio files (.STI, .STD, .SRD, .SCD, .AOB) from the audio wad itself (.AWD).

Responsible for repacking the audio files (.STI, .STD, .SRD, .SCD, .AOB) files back to .AWD.

AOB_Win64_Release:
Responsible for extracting the "RIFF WAVE" data plus Events, SoundGroups, SoundGroupEvent and Object files (.WAV, .EVNT, .SGRP, .SGRE, .OBJT) from the audio object files (.STI, .STD, .SRD, .SCD, .AOB).

Responsible for repacking the audio files (.WAV, .EVNT, .SGRP, .SGRE, .OBJT) files back to (.STI, .STD, .SRD, .SCD, .AOB).

How to extract audio files

1. Find the AWD.CLZ/AWD file you would like to extract. These are usually in the game data folder located in "DATA/AUDIO/". For this tutorial we will be using "PARIS1.AWD.CLZ".

2. IF the file extension is ".AWD.CLZ", drag and drop the .CLZ file onto CLZ_Win64_Release.exe. This will produce a new file called exactly the same minus the .CLZ extension. So for PARIS1.AWD.CLZ it would be decompressed to PARIS1.AWD.CLZ.

3. Now we have to extract the audio wad. To do so, drag and drop PARIS1.AWD onto AWD_Win64_Release.exe. This should result in a new folder being made called PARIS1.

4. Copy AOB_Win64_Release.exe to PARIS1/*.*/ where "*.*" is the language for your game version you wish to extract.

5. Drag and drop the .AOB file onto AOB_Win64_Release.exe. It should now have extracted all .WAV files and the various chunks stored in the .AOB file.

6. That's it! You have successfully extracted the audio files. Make any changes you wish (swapping .wav files about or even importing new ones!).

Repacking the audio files

1. Whilst inside the language folder for the specific version you have or for which localisation you want to modify... Drag and drop PARIS1.TXT onto AOB_Win64_Release.exe. This will repack all the changes you made into (.STI, .STD, .SRD, .SCD, .AOB).

2. To repack them back to AWD. go to the folder where the AWD you extracted is located. Then drag and drop PARIS1.TXT onto AWD_Win64_Release.exe. This should repack the (.STI, .STD, .SRD, .SCD, .AOB) files into a single (.AWD) file.

3. Finally, IF the file was originally compressed (had .CLZ extension) drag and drop PARIS1.AWD onto CLZ_Win64_Release.exe to compress the file back. This should create a single compressed file which can now be replaced with the one in the game folder.

4. Enjoy the changes! Don't forget to credit me for writing these tools.

Download:
Release.zip

Last edited by Gh0stBlade; 03-07-22 at 10:38.
Gh0stBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-22, 01:33   #2
mizuno_suisei

Have edited this post now a few times, after a few issues thus far trying to get everything to work smoothly but i finally got it going, FYI for others, if these tools don't give you the desired outcome via your actual (for example on my end, D:/Program Files/TRAOD/DATA/AUDIO/ directories, you have to move your desired files and the tool to your root user directory (on my end, C:/Users/Admin) and run it all from here.

When attempting via my actual D:/ AOD directory, the folder output no matter the input would be called "Files", not the name of the actual extracted file as expected in the tutorial. It also would not contain the AOB extracts, only the folder structure, but no files within.
However when I moved all my current working files to the local drive C:/Users/Admin directory, everything worked perfect and the output folder is named correctly (eg PARIS1) and AOB files are successfully outputted into WAV
I can't be sure if the above folder issue is isolated to me for whatever reason, but the move seems to work.

After managing to get it working, the only thing left to let you know I think GhostBlade is that, the CLZ exe does not appear to work properly for Russian AWD.CLZ files. It seems to recompress it instead (makes a duplicate file of the same size, with a new extension of clz.clz) I discovered this kind of randomly when i was initially having problems and decided to test different languages.

Anyway, I'm so very thankful you've developed this tool as, I've been wanting access to Japanese AWD streams for quite some time where awd2wav used to fail and only extract the English channels from them. A huge thankyou, this is awesome!

Last edited by mizuno_suisei; 03-07-22 at 03:01.
mizuno_suisei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-22, 09:46   #3
Gh0stBlade

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuno_suisei View Post
Have edited this post now a few times, after a few issues thus far trying to get everything to work smoothly but i finally got it going, FYI for others, if these tools don't give you the desired outcome via your actual (for example on my end, D:/Program Files/TRAOD/DATA/AUDIO/ directories, you have to move your desired files and the tool to your root user directory (on my end, C:/Users/Admin) and run it all from here.

When attempting via my actual D:/ AOD directory, the folder output no matter the input would be called "Files", not the name of the actual extracted file as expected in the tutorial. It also would not contain the AOB extracts, only the folder structure, but no files within.
However when I moved all my current working files to the local drive C:/Users/Admin directory, everything worked perfect and the output folder is named correctly (eg PARIS1) and AOB files are successfully outputted into WAV
I can't be sure if the above folder issue is isolated to me for whatever reason, but the move seems to work.

After managing to get it working, the only thing left to let you know I think GhostBlade is that, the CLZ exe does not appear to work properly for Russian AWD.CLZ files. It seems to recompress it instead (makes a duplicate file of the same size, with a new extension of clz.clz) I discovered this kind of randomly when i was initially having problems and decided to test different languages.

Anyway, I'm so very thankful you've developed this tool as, I've been wanting access to Japanese AWD streams for quite some time where awd2wav used to fail and only extract the English channels from them. A huge thankyou, this is awesome!
Yeah there are a lot of pathing bugs, don't know why they popped up like this but it's due to undefined things happening i.e running the tool from/in different folders and environment setups.

Glad to hear you got it working, about the Russian files, it's probably using a different compression level which is not detected by the tool. I'd suggest posting the file so it can be resolved in a future update.

I have released another version of the tool this version fixes 2 issues. 1 with repacking AWD files resulting in 1KB files. 2. Fix SRD header missing.

Thank you.

Edit: Just published a third version of the tool that fixes frequency bugs and looping.

Last edited by Gh0stBlade; 03-07-22 at 10:38.
Gh0stBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-22, 11:14   #4
mizuno_suisei

No problem- I've uploaded a few audio files just incase you need more than one. https://www.mediafire.com/file/zn96d...dioRU.rar/file

Some russian fans and or russian enthusiasts may benefit from them being unpackable

Last edited by mizuno_suisei; 03-07-22 at 11:17.
mizuno_suisei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-22, 20:50   #5
Moihack

Thanks a lot for these new tools!

Mind asking if you are planning an open source release on github like your other TR projects ?

I'd love to study AoD file formats myself but disassembly still scares me, hence the reason I'm asking this
Moihack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-23, 05:09   #6
Zerocool161

Hi, the program works very well, I'm using it for the Italian version of AOD, just one question, why do the awd files, once the changes have been made, always give me around 300 mb or even sometimes 1 gb? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Last edited by Zerocool161; 20-06-23 at 11:58.
Zerocool161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-23, 14:14   #7
Zerocool161

Hello, I have a problem with the ghostblade audio extraction tool. When I extract files, for example the Serpent Rougue audio, it removes some files, and the music doesn't play inside the club. You don't even hear Lara's gun sounds. Also in the repacking it gives me the awd file greater than 1 gb. How can I do? Thanks to anyone who replies.
Zerocool161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-23, 13:13   #8
reborninshadow

The latest version of the tools (from Gh0stBlade) can be downloaded from here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fbz...ew?usp=sharing

EDIT: Latest version is available here which can extract PS2 audio files: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uVb...ew?usp=sharing

To extract PS2 audio files, you can use this (example) command:

AOB_Win64_Release.exe PARIS2_1.AOB PS2

Last edited by reborninshadow; 21-07-23 at 19:16.
reborninshadow is offline   Reply With Quote