www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 29-11-21, 21:37   #9521
dg1995
Archaeologist
 
dg1995's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,069
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
How? Characters can be decapitated by hunters, impaled by the Tyrant, eaten by zombies, all the while showing blood and gore. You can behead or incinerate zombies and cerberus, and we even have a new monster who is wearing a mask made of skinned human faces.
.
1.Getting Beheaded by Hunters is gone.(I think Rebecca could also lose her head in a cutscene in the original while in the remake that cutscene only showed her blood on a wall)

2.In Original one, when Chris/Jill die their bodies get bloody. In the Remake it doesn't.

3.Zombies sometimes lose their arms in the original RE 1 when you shoot at them in the remake that was also removed.

4.You had some areas where you see blood handprints on the walls that were removed in the remake.

5.Joseph dying was more gruesome in the original uncut FMV version compared to the remake

6.Plant 42 picking up your character and killing them was also removed.

7.And as you can see in the original FMV, the cutscene where Kenneath is dying was far more violent compared to the remake one.(Kenneath loses his head and that head was half eaten while in the remake it doesn't show what really happened to him)

Plus, RE Code Veronica bossfights are much better designed than RE Remake ones.(The bossfights that you only need 5-6 shotgun bullets. Or Having the most weakest and useless boss in all RE franchise.)

Code Veronica's final boss form wasn't really that difficult. You just pick up the big gun aim in first person and shoot and dodge until you take it out.(Which requires more skill than the final "use the rocket launcher" moment in RE 1)

You probably ran out of ammo in CV because you either wasted a lot or just missed lots of them. I played CV without using the OP knife, The Magnum and Assault Rifle and without using Claire's Weapon with Chris(Gave all Claire's weapons to her) and I didn't ran out of ammo.

Eternal Darkness was also released in the same year as RE 1 Remake and on the same platform and that had great graphics despite being fully rendered and had better looking areas compared to RE 1 remake.(That Cathedral in Eternal Darkness was scarier than RE 1's mansion.)

Last edited by dg1995; 29-11-21 at 22:01.
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-21, 21:45   #9522
VictorXD
Relic Hunter
 
VictorXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: ฿-₳-฿-¥-⍸L-⌽-₦
Posts: 9,604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
In fairness, decapitations are actually gone, they were shown off in a very early Japanese trailer (Which also showed off some sort of cut new-game plus laser beam weapon.), they're actually gone in the final game presumably due to censorship, instead the "Decapitation" is a Throat Slit attack. (Still pretty gruesome though.)

This can be best seen in Rebecca's death scene.
I stand corrected then. So that's where the decapitation videos came from.

Still, it's weird to say REmake is tamer when it comes to blood and gore as opposed to RE1 when the game has a LOT of gruesome ****.
__________________
Persecution to all non Luds Gate believers may God's wrath fall upon you sinners
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-21, 22:03   #9523
dg1995
Archaeologist
 
dg1995's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,069
Default

I forgot to add this one.

8.In the intro of RE 1 original, Joseph freaks out because he finds a gun that a severed hand of Edward is holding. While in the remake, he freaks out over seeing the dead body of Kevin.
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-21, 22:22   #9524
VictorXD
Relic Hunter
 
VictorXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: ฿-₳-฿-¥-⍸L-⌽-₦
Posts: 9,604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1995 View Post
1.Getting Beheaded by Hunters is gone.(I think Rebecca could also lose her head in a cutscene in the original while in the remake that cutscene only showed her blood on a wall)
Indeed, that seems to be the case. It's a huge shame too because they looked awesome in the footage of that Japanese trailer. I never liked how the 2000's games censored decapitation. I think from that time only RE4 has it explicit.
Quote:
2.In Original one, when Chris/Jill die their bodies get bloody. In the Remake it doesn't.

3.Zombies sometimes lose their hands in the original RE 1 in the remake that was also removed.
Both of these things were a tad less demanding back then, they used pretty simple techniques, just colour some vertexes red and call it a day, while in REmake it would have to be a whole another mesh. It would be possible of course, but let's not forget that back then it pushed the Gamecube to its limits so maybe they were saving resources, who knows. It could very well be censored as well as it could be that they simply forgot to include it. You can easily miss that you can shoot arms off zombies.

Quote:
4.You had some areas where you see blood handprints on the walls that were removed in the remake.
And there were also areas more gruesome in comparison RE1, like the surgical table at the lab, the body bags hanging in the side room of the computer where you unlock the doors.

It really is more about balance and finding the correct thing to show to create the best possible atmosphere. You cut some stuff out and put other stuff in. And let's be real, some of those were really cheesy in RE1 so it's for the best
Quote:
5.Joseph dying was more gruesome in the original uncut FMV version compared to the remake
It was, but I think both try to do something different anyway so it's not fair to judge. And personally I prefer the remake because it focuses on Jill's reaction and has a nice mystery to it and yet it shows the dogs eating his legs on camera for example. It's still disturbing and gruesome. Things don't always need to be completely gratuitous.
Quote:
6.Plant 42 picking up your character and killing them was also removed.
Honestly? Didn't even notice it. It's such a small detail and if it's gone and it's not missed (and I HAVE died to Plant 42 before lol) then it doesn't affect the overall experience, it's ok. R3make for example, you definitely miss stuff when playing if you tried out the OG before. But in this case, it's such a such detail that I don't think it truly matters in the big picture.
Quote:
7.And as you can see in the original FMV, the cutscene where Kenneath is dying was far more violent compared to the remake one.(Kenneath loses his head and that head was half eaten while in the remake it doesn't show what really happened to him)
That was censored in pretty much everywhere upon RE1's first release though. And it's no wonder they chose to remake the censored version, it is the one most people watched. IIRC it was censored in the West and that's what most people grew up with, so they chose the faithful (and IMO better route) to make it closer to that.
Quote:
Plus, RE Code Veronica bossfights are much better designed than RE Remake ones.(The bossfights that you only need 5-6 shotgun bullets. Or Having the most weakest and useless boss in all RE franchise.)
Not gonna lie, the bosses in the remake aren't spetecular but it did the job. It was faithfully recreated from RE1, that's undeniable.
Quote:
Code Veronica's final boss form wasn't really that difficult. You just pick up the big gun aim in first person and shoot and dodge until you take it out.(Which requires more skill than the final "use the rocket launcher" moment in RE 1)
It indeed does take more skill, but it also involves luck. And honestly, good designed boss battles should only rely on skill and not luck. You should have to win because you are good and figured out the best strategy, not because the enemy just so happened to pass through your line of fire.
Quote:
Eternal Darkness was also released in the same year as RE 1 Remake and on the same platform and that had great graphics despite being fully rendered and had better looking areas compared to RE 1 remake.(That Cathedral in Eternal Darkness was scarier than RE 1's mansion.)
I have no doubt there were other good looking games out there, but that's a bit besides the point isn't it? Capcom chose one artistic route for one, and whoever was responsible for that game another, it doesn't really mean anything for REmake in the long run. Different games, different studios, different people, ideas, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1995 View Post
I forgot to add this one.

8.In the intro of RE 1 original, Joseph freaks out because he finds a gun that a severed hand of Edward is holding. While in the remake, he freaks out over seeing the dead body of Kevin.
I think this ties in with what I said about the OG intro already. It still shows the mutilated body of Kevin, just a in different way. And I mean, fining someone with theirs eyes out is just as freaky a finding a severed hand.
__________________
Persecution to all non Luds Gate believers may God's wrath fall upon you sinners
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-21, 04:22   #9525
jeffrey van oort
Inactive
 
jeffrey van oort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 5,546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1995 View Post
.....
RE 2 remake was a much better remake imo since they made the gameplay much better than what it was in 2 original.(No tank controls, aiming system, no loading screen when openning doors, no fixed camera angles, scarier Mr X)
I am sorry. You've completely lost me. The pitched remake of Resident Evil 2 isn't a remake at all. This is a reimagination of Resident Evil 2. The original Resident Evil 2 is still superior over the reimagination of Resident Evil 2 to this day.

The Resident Evil Remake of the original Resident Evil Remake is a perfect remake with additional extra rooms, and new enemies and extra modes. Every other remake of the Resident Evil videogames have failed so far to qualify as a Remake. It didn't make them any less of a Resident Evil type of game. But they weren't remakes. I am sorry but I don't agree with that section of your posted comment. I hope that there is no missunderstanding about Resident Evil.
jeffrey van oort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-21, 10:50   #9526
Gian Carlo
Professor
 
Gian Carlo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brazil
Posts: 2,942
Default

RE2 Remake might not be a better remake than RE1's but it certainly is a better game
Gian Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:29   #9527
Rai
Moderator
 
Rai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: In a bubble outside the universe
Posts: 35,139
Default

Crystal Dynamics have several job openings that appear to be for Tomb Raider specifically. Among them are environment artists and technical artists and world lighting artist. Just an interesting thing to know.

Quote:
Come be a part of the future of Tomb Raider!
__________________
"Who we are is not what we wear, or what sparkles. It's our spirit that defines us."

Last edited by Rai; Today at 02:30.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:48   #9528
Raider8
Archaeologist
 
Raider8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Asia
Posts: 1,344
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Crystal Dynamics have several job openings that appear to be for Tomb Raider specifically. Among them are environment artists and technical artists and world lighting artist. Just an interesting thing to know.
Hmmmm.... I wish I was one of the developers behind Tomb Raider. By the way, the artwork for tomb raider games is always breathtaking and wonderful.
Raider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 16:52   #9529
amiro1989
Relic Hunter
 
amiro1989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 8,830
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Crystal Dynamics have several job openings that appear to be for Tomb Raider specifically. Among them are environment artists and technical artists and world lighting artist. Just an interesting thing to know.
So something has been greenlit and is definitely in production now, and no longer in pre-prod.

They probably had a very lengthy pre-production period.
__________________
Avatar art by Amunet.
amiro1989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 21:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.