www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat > Arts and Entertainment

Old 15-02-22, 14:16   #21
biscuits
Relic Hunter

Give the female dwarf a beard you cowards!
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-22, 14:28   #22
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

Do people really want that? Really?

I know it's canon and maybe it's because I'm a girl, but I think I prefer them not to have them.

Edit: Actually on second thoughts, maybe they should.... it might be interesting.

Last edited by Blackmoor; 15-02-22 at 14:36.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-22, 14:35   #23
Amunet
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
Apparently she has a very small beard. People have changed the saturation of her promotional photo and apparently it becomes visible. I'll try to find the pic and share it.

EDIT: You can kinda see it here:

Last edited by Amunet; 15-02-22 at 14:43.
Amunet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-22, 17:08   #24
MrBear
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
Partly wondering out loud, but also wanting to hear other people's thoughts because I'm genuinely wanting the answers!

I was kind of hoping they were strange antlered people, but yeah, it's more likely they're hunters who sell those huge antlers...

The accent does sound more rural now you mention it, so it probably is a hobbit or the bright-faced woman.

I am amazed at how beautiful everything looked and to me, it looked like Jackson's middle earth but MORE. It definitely doesn't feel like a completely new imagining in that regard, the people feel connected to the later age of LOTR, and the landscapes and buildings and statues, etc, all feel very Jackson's LOTR-ish.

I did hear that for season 2 they're moving filming to the UK and other parts of Europe, which I'm wondering if they'll lose that New Zealand-Jackson feel because of that.

I believe that part of the contract Amazon did with the Tolkein estate guarantees 5 seasons of it. So, I'm sure one way or another they will get it to work.
Yeah, I read about the change of location from NZ to Europe for season 2. I wonder how noticeable it'll be, if at all
5 seasons! Surely it's contingent on the success of the first one, and how much content could there be? In a way it makes me hopeful that they'll tell more unexpected stories from the 2nd Age instead of going all-in on Sauron's schemes too quickly. On the other hand, if they haven't planned it out properly, some of the later seasons might end up losing narrative momentum in order to fill enough episodes.

Quote:
Preach!

Quote:
Do people really want that? Really?

I know it's canon and maybe it's because I'm a girl, but I think I prefer them not to have them.

Edit: Actually on second thoughts, maybe they should.... it might be interesting.
Alright, to be perfectly honest I'm playing up my enthusiasm a bit. If women dwarves are beardless, I won't really be bothered. I just think that races should strive to be and look different and distinctive from one another, and so it's an aspect where the only argument for removing their beards, as far as I can tell, is to make them look more classically attractive. Just let them be stocky and hairy creatures with mostly-stern dispositions I wasn't a fan of the dwarves from the Hobbit movies where some of them looked like dwarves and the others (with more screentime) just looked like short, handsome humans.
But yeah, it's pretty low on my list of priorities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post
Apparently she has a very small beard. People have changed the saturation of her promotional photo and apparently it becomes visible. I'll try to find the pic and share it.

EDIT: You can kinda see it here:

[IMG]
Well, that's better than nothing?
Old 15-02-22, 17:38   #25
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBear View Post
5 seasons! Surely it's contingent on the success of the first one, and how much content could there be?
Apparently not, they have guaranteed 5 seasons as part of the contract.

I read it here: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv...tflix-1099213/

Quote:
After battling Netflix for rights to bring the popular series to the small screen, the network's groundbreaking negotiation guaranteed a five-season commitment of J.R.R. Tolkien's adaptation, making it the "most expensive TV series ever."
And other places too.

Quote:
In a way it makes me hopeful that they'll tell more unexpected stories from the 2nd Age instead of going all-in on Sauron's schemes too quickly. On the other hand, if they haven't planned it out properly, some of the later seasons might end up losing narrative momentum in order to fill enough episodes.
Yeah, they're going to have to cover a wide breadth of things. I'm hopeful that knowing they have to do 5 seasons means they will indeed plan out the overarching storyline for all 5 seasons, rather than doing 1 season and if it does well, doing the next season, and so on. Which should mean better storytelling... Hopefully a really well thought out storyline that slowly builds up the Sauron story.

Quote:
Alright, to be perfectly honest I'm playing up my enthusiasm a bit. If women dwarves are beardless, I won't really be bothered.
I knew it.

Quote:
I just think that races should strive to be and look different and distinctive from one another, and so it's an aspect where the only argument for removing their beards, as far as I can tell, is to make them look more classically attractive. Just let them be stocky and hairy creatures with mostly-stern dispositions I wasn't a fan of the dwarves from the Hobbit movies where some of them looked like dwarves and the others (with more screentime) just looked like short, handsome humans.
I'm not too particular myself as long as the males dwarves are rugged-beard-y men. I think they should look strong and hardy.

----
Edit: Anyone have any guesses who this could be?

I'm wondering if it's Sauron..

Last edited by Blackmoor; 15-02-22 at 19:32.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-22, 19:39   #26
biscuits
Relic Hunter

I thought maybe young Elrond. But I dunno.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-22, 19:44   #27
Amunet
Archaeologist

Quote:
I thought maybe young Elrond. But I dunno.
People on twitter are saying it is Elrond although I don't know if it is confirmed or just speculation.
Old 15-02-22, 19:59   #28
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

I've just looked on IMDB and I think it probably is Elrond. The actor's photo looks very similar, although the face is a different angle.

I suppose we don't even know if Sauron will be in season 1.
Old 15-02-22, 20:02   #29
.snake.
Inactive

Poor Tolkien is turning in his grave.

I'm surprised it's already extended to be 5 seasons. So even if it isn't enjoyed by fans, it'll just keep going and going without improvement.
.snake. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-22, 20:04   #30
MrBear
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Apparently not, they have guaranteed 5 seasons as part of the contract.

I read it here: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv...tflix-1099213/
Oh, wow, I did not expect that. With how much money they've already poured into it, I'm surprised they're able to commit to five whole seasons. But hey, good news, as long as it's quality television! And doesn't matter much if it's not, as we can just ... not watch it

Quote:
Yeah, they're going to have to cover a wide breadth of things. I'm hopeful that knowing they have to do 5 seasons means they will indeed plan out the overarching storyline for all 5 seasons (...)
Definitely. I feel a bit more hopeful as well, now

Quote:
I knew it.

Quote:
I'm not too particular myself as long as the males dwarves are rugged-beard-y men. I think they should look strong and hardy.
Oh, I'm sure they will

Quote:
----
Edit: Anyone have any guesses who this could be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post
People on twitter are saying it is Elrond although I don't know if it is confirmed or just speculation.
'Tis confirmed, yes. Remember those poster-like images from last week? Of people's hands and midsection? All (most?) of them have had their character and its actor attached now. If you don't mind spoilers, you can look up basically all the seemingly important characters now but since you're asking specifically about this fellow, it is indeed Elrond Half-elven.

Edit: once again I type too slowly.

Last edited by MrBear; 15-02-22 at 20:06.
MrBear is offline   Reply With Quote