www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider 25

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 23-11-22, 21:55   #21
Vaskito
Tomb Raider
 
Vaskito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Portugal
Posts: 11,455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
It's kinda funny how they included a few brief clips of Shadow even though they didn't make Shadow.
I mean, they did say they felt the franchise felt stale by Underworld, and implied LAU was an extention of what had already been established for many games before and they wanted the freshen things up as they weren't grabbing new audiences
__________________
We found each other through brokenness and now look how strong we are
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-22, 21:58   #22
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider
 
charmedangelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 20,660
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
I mean, they did say they felt the franchise felt stale by Underworld, and implied LAU was an extention of what had already been established for many games before and they wanted the freshen things up as they weren't grabbing new audiences
Yeah, they don't seem to have fond memories of Underworld. Legend and Anniversary are the things they rave about, but Underworld is the one they pretend doesn't exist.

I wonder what they are cooking up for TR12 though, all of this just makes me even more curious.
__________________
Always Pondering
charmedangelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-22, 22:00   #23
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter
 
Chamayoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 8,673
Default

I guess they didn't have Toby or Eric to talk about it. Also the firing after the game's release may leave them a bad taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stBlade View Post
Sure, here you go

https://imgur.com/a/r4s97OV
Thank you !
__________________
Lost Artifact, Beneath the Ashes, Lara's Shadow and Ana Pure Hair for everyone

Last edited by Chamayoo; 23-11-22 at 22:19.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-22, 23:21   #24
Ellioft
Professor
 
Ellioft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: France
Posts: 4,946
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stBlade View Post
Yep, I have this document too. Anything you'd like to know about it?
I might say I want to see everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
It's kinda funny how they included a few brief clips of Shadow even though they didn't make Shadow.
They did it was a small team at Crystal but it was a collaboration with Eidos Montréal.

So I have to say this documentary was really interesting to watch and there some great stuff to learn. I like they have talked about their mistakes with Avengers and the importance of TR for their studio. I like their philosophy they want to grow and learn with each new titles, doing new stuff and use them as a reference map to use it later.

I like the fact they said they wanted to offer their engine to Core at the time and they have adressed there wasn't any rivalery from their side during the Legend days.

They appear to know the expectations of the fans of Tomb Raider and the importance of Lara.

I can't wait to see what's next.
__________________
Patience is a virtue (even If it's hard)

Last edited by Ellioft; 23-11-22 at 23:29.
Ellioft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-22, 23:51   #25
Cezar
Explorer
 
Cezar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Poland
Posts: 733
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
I might say I want to see everything
Yes, me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
they have adressed there wasn't any rivalery from their side during the Legend days.
I don't believe in this. People from Core said that TR Anniversary was stolen from them by Crystal Dynamics and I believe them. Crystal would never confirm this, so they keep telling fairy tales about their friendship with Core... They can say all they want about this, but I don't think it's true.
Cezar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-22, 00:21   #26
andre_costa
Explorer
 
andre_costa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Portugal
Posts: 628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cezar View Post
Yes, me too!
Me three!
andre_costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-22, 00:43   #27
Ellioft
Professor
 
Ellioft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: France
Posts: 4,946
Default

Well honestly I don't know Core personaly but I think the "Tomb Raider was stolen from us" came as a sentiment after Eidos have observed how poorly the development and the managment from AOD was going on with Jeremy Smith as a leader and how it was received critically from the press.

Core at this point didn't have learned anything from their previous experiences and didn't peek any interest at the PS2 back when the dev kits where send (so in 1998) (not my words it's from an interview with Paul Douglas) so by getting stuck on the same loop they weren't ready for the new milenium and the jump into another and powerfull plateform. Crystal have launched in 2001 their sequel to Soul Reaver on the PS2 and it was well received. I think Eidos may have seen the fatigue of Core from the TR franchise (reminder they didn't wanted to make a fifth game and stop the franchise to work on something new).

So at this point after the critical failure of AOD TR needed some fresh blood and apparently Crystal was a good dev team for Eidos so from a business perspective their decision made sense.

Even with their Anniversary project on Psp they didn't have learned anything to capture the attention of Eidos again.
__________________
Patience is a virtue (even If it's hard)
Ellioft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-22, 01:16   #28
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider
 
charmedangelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 20,660
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
Well honestly I don't know Core personaly but I think the "Tomb Raider was stolen from us" came as a sentiment after Eidos have observed how poorly the development and the managment from AOD was going on with Jeremy Smith as a leader and how it was received critically from the press.

Core at this point didn't have learned anything from their previous experiences and didn't peek any interest at the PS2 back when the dev kits where send (so in 1998) (not my words it's from an interview with Paul Douglas) so by getting stuck on the same loop they weren't ready for the new milenium and the jump into another and powerfull plateform. Crystal have launched in 2001 their sequel to Soul Reaver on the PS2 and it was well received. I think Eidos may have seen the fatigue of Core from the TR franchise (reminder they didn't wanted to make a fifth game and stop the franchise to work on something new).

So at this point after the critical failure of AOD TR needed some fresh blood and apparently Crystal was a good dev team for Eidos so from a business perspective their decision made sense.

Even with their Anniversary project on Psp they didn't have learned anything to capture the attention of Eidos again.
Exactly all of this, CD did not have authority to take TR from Core. CD just showed Eidos that they could do a full console version of Anniversary that worked far better and was much more developed than Cores. That's not a crime and I don't blame CD for that at all.
__________________
Always Pondering
charmedangelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-22, 03:20   #29
Retrowave
Hobbyist
 
Retrowave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 57
Default

Great doc. The reboot gets a lot of critique, but it was insightful to see the team explain how they worked through various oddball prototypes before refocusing back on a TPS adventure game. It apparently could've been a lot worse.

I'm surprised to hear that Rise matched their aspirations for the reboot more than TR 2013 did, because that first game had a much more intriguing setting and enemies.
Retrowave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-22, 05:04   #30
AimlessThunder
Professor
 
AimlessThunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Romania
Posts: 4,533
Default

I love how they inserted the word "core" many times through the documentary! Props to them! Also, Anniversary was made in only 9 months? Damn. That's quite amazing if you think about it. No wonder they had to cut so much out of it. Which is a shame.
AimlessThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 18:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.