Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 21-09-22, 13:32   #11
Dennis's Mom

I bought this card in the 80s and it's always resonated with me for it's bold statement of fact. You won't be able to see your new opportunities if you're looking back at what can no longer be.

Regret harm you cause and make amends, but choices---you make the best decisions you can with the information you have. Life will throw you curve balls and surprise you, but all you can control is YOU, so don't waste time thinking about things that are no longer an option.

@Blackmoor--Love that image. I turned 60 yesterday and it's still true for me.
Dennis's Mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-22, 11:05   #12
biscuits

I appreciate all the replies. I don't even fully regret the choice I made, it's just my anxiety making me overthink everything and just panicking over nothing. I hate it. I think with time it will go away.
I'm currently spending time with my family, and I think I should appreciate that instead of wasting time on what ifs.

Last edited by biscuits; 23-09-22 at 11:07.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-22, 16:46   #13
HarleyCroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
I just saw this today and I thought it appropriate here.

I also love this pic! Haven't considered that imagery before
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-22, 19:45   #14
Profc

I don't know if it will help you, but for the longest time, I was regretting so many decisions and past mistakes. But very recently I got a very cool job offer involving art, and I am so happy about it.

Think of it this way, one mistake does not define you. I failed my computer degree, but I studied art later down the line, and got a more fun job.

Change is a part of life, and sometimes it's very difficult to improve our circumstances based on the life we have.
Profc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-22, 11:42   #15
Garrett_thief

The older you get, the more missed opportunities you will chalk up. Everything happens for a reason, there's no point lamenting about what might have been and getting depressed about it. Look forward, not backwards - there's another opportunity around the corner.

For instance, my eldest daughter is nearly 25. She was born in Madison, WI and has grown up there. Her mother was in the UK when we met and she didn't realise that she was pregnant when she flew home. I was only just turned 17 when she was born. I had an opportunity to emigrate to Buena Park in Orange County and work for Yamaha but I bottled it. At 17, back in the 90's, that was a massive move and still 2000 miles away from my daughter. Who says it would have worked out? If it hadn't I'd have been pretty much stranded in a strange country with no friends or family to turn to.

As it happens, I did travel to USA in 1998 and I was over there for a few months with Madison Scouts Drum & Bugle Corps and I did briefly get to meet my newborn daughter. Since then I've seen her for a month when she was seven years old and then a couple of months ago she came over to London for work (she's a Global Product Manager for Tiffany) so I saw her then. We don't have a real father-daughter relationship as such but there is a bond between us and we do keep in touch via WhatsApp.

So, although I do occasionally regret not taking the plunge all those years ago, my daughter fully understands why I wasn't there while she grew up and we have a good relationship.
Garrett_thief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-22, 03:33   #16
jeffrey van oort

Regrets can be difficult to cope with. The emotional need to solve the feelings that exist alongside the regrets, (a different emotion), create a rollercoaster of input, and output errors that result into doing more that you could regret.

You can usually not undo what you regret. You can try to live in the here and the now, and work on a task list of things you would like to do.

Some options became more difficult, but there are many options to spend your time with. That is the deal with life. You are going to have some time. How you plan that time is your continued conquest of success. That you are not dead yet.
jeffrey van oort is offline   Reply With Quote