Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Closed Thread

Old 22-11-22, 19:52   #1
egypt_gypsie

Default Proposed Building Challenge

Hello and welcome to the show that is my overactive brain.

As you can probably guess from the thread title, this is an idea I came up with that I thought would be a fun challenge to give builders a chance to spice things up.

Basically, the proposal is this.

Every participating builder will get a building package curated by me. This package will include:
  • A concept art image
  • A music track
  • A selection of textures
  • One gameplay element they cannot use
  • One gameplay element they must use
  • A TR game theme (TR1, TR2, TR3, TR4, NG)

Concept art - For this element, it will be an image of an environment. You can use this image in several ways: You may either replicate that exact image (within reason) and then add on the rest of the level around it, OR, you may use that image as a style guide and create a level that emulates that style.

Music Track - This element may be used however you want to use it, you may edit it however you please, but it must be used somewhere, somehow in the level.

Textures - These textures will be only a small selection, but they must each be used in the level somehow. You may edit them, splice them, or do anything else you want to do with them. You may use as many textures as you want outside of these textures.

Forbidden Gameplay Element - This is a challenge to perhaps get builders to lean away from relying on a certain gameplay element to learn how to diversify their options when building a level. For example, I might have a builder not use any crawlspaces, or shimmy, or limit to only pistols. That sort of thing. (Or I might not let Sabatu use boulders.)

Required Gameplay Element - Again, this is a challenge, but on the other side of the coin. This is to force a builder to figure out how many creative ways they can use a gameplay element.

TR Game Theme - The builder will be required to use the Lara model, sound effects, and move-set of the TR game they are assigned. The Lara model may be edited to have a different outfit if desired. (If you get assigned the NG option, you may use AoD, Legend, Anniversary, or Reboot sound effects, and you can use any moves you want, including customs.)

The level may be any length, and may use any engine.

If you are interested in this idea, or want to enter for a package already, please let me know! I will start making packages once we get a fair amount of builders on the list. (I except this will be an annual project if this initial effort goes well enough.)

(If you want an idea of the type of image I might assign you, please take a look at my TR Inspo Pinterest board: Clicky)

Last edited by egypt_gypsie; 22-11-22 at 22:59.
Old 22-11-22, 20:04   #2
SrDanielPonces

I actually love this concept, although I'd rather if, say, there was already a predetermined selection of those themes and it would randomly be assigned to any builder that decides to participate
Old 22-11-22, 20:06   #3
egypt_gypsie

So I could put together packages, and then just draw a name for each one?
Old 22-11-22, 20:15   #4
SrDanielPonces

yeah like package 1, 2, 3, etc. Then a website that would generate random numbers for the selected builders
Old 22-11-22, 20:19   #5
egypt_gypsie

Yes, this could work. And actually, I could go even beyond that and wait to assign the numbers (to the packages) until I can't see what is in the packages anymore (once they are in a ZIP for example). That way even I don't know what people are getting.
Old 22-11-22, 21:19   #6
Kubsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by egypt_gypsie View Post
Hello and welcome to the show that is my overactive brain.

As you can probably guess from the thread title, this is an idea I came up with that I thought would be a fun challenge to give builders a chance to spice things up.

Basically, the proposal is this.

Every participating builder will get a building package curated by me. This package will include:
  • A concept art image
  • A music track
  • A selection of textures
  • One gameplay element they cannot use
  • One gameplay element they must use
  • A TR game theme (TR1, TR2, TR3, TR4, NG)

Concept art - For this element, it will be an image of an environment. You can use this image in several ways: You may either replicate that exact image (within reason) and then add on the rest of the level around it, OR, you may use that image as a style guide and create a level that emulates that style.

Music Track - This element may be used however you want to use it, you may edit it however you please, but it must be used somewhere, somehow in the level.

Textures - These textures will be only a small selection, but they must each be used in the level somehow. You may edit them, splice them, or do anything else you want to do with them. You may use as many textures as you want outside of these textures.

Forbidden Gameplay Element - This is a challenge to perhaps get builders to lean away from relying on a certain gameplay element to learn how to diversify their options when building a level. For example, I might have a builder not use any crawlspaces, or shimmy, or limit to only pistols. That sort of thing. (Or I might not let Sabatu use boulders.)

Required Gameplay Element - Again, this is a challenge, but on the other side of the coin. This is to force a builder to figure out how many creative ways they can use a gameplay element.

TR Game Theme - The builder will be required to use the Lara model, sound effects, and move-set of the TR game they are assigned. The Lara model may be edited to have a different outfit if desired. (If you get assigned the NG option, you may use AoD, Legend, Anniversary, or Reboot sound effects, and you can use any moves you want, including customs.)

The levels may be any length, and may use any engine.

If you are interested in this idea, or want to enter for a package already, please let me know! I will start making packages once we get a fair amount of builders on the list. (I except this will be an annual project if this initial effort goes well enough.)

(If you want an idea of the type of image I might assign you, please take a look at my TR Inspo Pinterest board: Clicky)
Wow I love this idea!

Builder would be able to use any engine right? Including TEN?
Old 22-11-22, 21:24   #7
Sabatu

I am in even though you will take away what I love.
No boulders and No TR1 engine

But I always wanted to work with provided resources and even some screens or photos of location...
and being able to add more things to the textures and wads would be an interesting idea...
Old 22-11-22, 21:24   #8
egypt_gypsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubsy View Post
Wow I love this idea!

Builder would be able to use any engine right? Including TEN?
That is correct, providing they adhere to the TR Game style they are given. If they want more of a challenge, they can use the matching TR Engine. (If you are assigned TR1 sounds and Lara, you may also use the TR1 Engine.)
Old 22-11-22, 21:30   #9
Sabatu

Quote:
Originally Posted by egypt_gypsie View Post
That is correct, providing they adhere to the TR Game style they are given. If they want more of a challenge, they can use the matching TR Engine. (If you are assigned TR1 sounds and Lara, you may also use the TR1 Engine.)
now I am more intrigued
but I know I will end up with Cairo
Old 22-11-22, 21:36   #10
egypt_gypsie

I will also add that I will not provide objects, so builders may use or create whatever objects they wish to use.
Closed Thread