www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 25-09-18, 00:10   #1
Soma Holiday
Relic Hunter

Talking Alright lets Rank the Reboot Trilogy!!

It was inevitable...so lets discuss it, how do these games hold up for you when compared to each other in certain categories? Please avoid Classic vs Reboot comparisons, I just want rankings for the 3 reboot games on a scale of 1 to 10 for certain parameters and then your overall enjoyment! Let's go! Here are my rankings:

TR2013:
Art Direction: 6
Everything is very brown, nice, but very brown and rusted. Gets tiresome after a while.
Exploration: 6
Lots of linear hallways but there is a nice balance of exploration and environments. I think this game had the best amount of collectibles of the whole series.
Combat: 6
Combat is fun. Nice balance of fighting and exploration IMO. The combat always adds to the story instead of feeling tacked on.
Story: 7
Despite being pretty full of mediocre characters and cliche's, overall this game is still fun and has a compelling action packed story. Its the only one Ive played 5+ times and I still enjoy it when I do play. Most importantly it makes sense and is easy to follow, has a nice arc, and a satisfying conclusion.
Lara as a Character: 6
Sure she cries, but its her first adventure!

Overall: 31

Rise:
Art Direction: 8
Despite a lot of washed out greys and whites I think Kitezh and the Byzantine warriors were beautifully done. This game has the best visuals of the entire series so Its hard not to be in awe while playing. Alot of the vista's are breathtaking and the outfit design was great IMO. Nice mix of organic and man made environments.
Exploration:7
Very fun to explore the hubs but a bit overfull on collectibles and challenges. Exploration gets repetitive with the simple caverns and copy paste crypts.
Combat: 6
Combat improved from the first game though sometimes it feels tedious so it wasnt any more enjoyable.
Story: 6
A bit melodramatic and overly full, but still a decent story with decent side characters. Trinity adds a bit too much cheese to the mix.
Lara as a Character: 7
Despite all the JOOONNAAAAHHH I like this Lara. She is curious and determined and is finding her footing as a killer and adventurer. She also has some clever moments where you can see her future self shining through.

Overall: 34

Shadow:
Art Direction: 7
This game is conflicting because some of the environments are stunning however some of the other design elements, like the outfits, are atrocious. Because of this I think it sets in the middle between Rise and TR2013.
Exploration: 8
Obviously the best of the series due to the sheer volume of elaborate tombs. However the amount of collectibles is daunting and really unnecessary other than as a chore for completionists due to a lot of the found lore being 1 sentence long.
Combat: 3
Tedious, uninspired, and boring. I would rush through these parts because I just didn't care and they weren't fun. Other than the Yaaxil the enemies were uninspired, however the Yaaxil appear so little I couldn't give this category a boost at all.
Story: 4
What a hot mess my lord how did this get approved? Did EM even play the last game? I didnt think the side characters could get less interesting than TR2013 but they outdid themselves on this. The badguy has like 14 minutes of screen time please help me understand how you expect me to care?
Lara as a Character: 5
Even more crying? Really? A few really badass scenes cant save this Lara from seeming overall bored on her own adventure. I think she seems less confident overall due to her dependence on Jonah and constant self doubt. Sure she kills better than ever, but that isnt really what I wanted out of the "tomb raider she's meant to become" promise.

Overall: 27

Final Thoughts:

So they are all pretty close by my rankings however the most important ranking of all is FUN. And imo TR2013 is the most fun of the series. I have played it 5+ times whereas I've played Rise 2 times and Shadow I have no plans of replaying at this time until the DLC is released. Hopefully I will enjoy it more then so.

Overall Winner: Rise
Miss Congeniality Award: TR2013 for most fun hehe

I'm surprised Rise scored highest, but when looking at these next to each other I really do think its superior even though I have only played it twice.

Last edited by Soma Holiday; 25-09-18 at 00:11.
Soma Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-18, 00:13   #2
SoraSakai
Professor

You're surprised Rise scored higher in something YOU wrote and decided the value of each score for...?

What? Hahaha

But yeah. I think 2013 is the best in the reboot trilogy. Rise was just kinda meh and then Shadow is second place because I love the dark jungle setting. ^.^
Old 25-09-18, 00:15   #3
Soma Holiday
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
You're surprised Rise scored higher in something YOU wrote and decided the value of each score for...?

What? Hahaha

But yeah. I think 2013 is the best in the reboot trilogy. Rise was just kinda meh and then Shadow is second place because I love the dark jungle setting. ^.^
I know it makes no sense! When i went to make the thread I knew that TR2013 would be the highest, but when I sat back and really compared the aspects it didnt.
Old 25-09-18, 00:16   #4
SoraSakai
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma Holiday View Post
I know it makes no sense! When i went to make the thread I knew that TR2013 would be the highest, but when I sat back and really compared the aspects it didnt.
That's fair ^.^
Old 25-09-18, 00:56   #5
just*raidin*tomb
Tomb Raider

Cool idea, I like the ranking system.
TR2013:
Art Direction: 6
Overall the game feels dusty and dirty but I think it fits the vibe of Yamatai well, it isn't particularly colorful and pretty, but I did love the first forest area. It was beautiful.
When this game came out the exploration was more than I could have imagined. I love the hub spaces, all of them and running around and discovering the world and learning about it and the histroy and the characters was really interesting. I really liked the level design.
Combat: 9
I love the combat in this game, it feels so good on the sticks and it works very well. Every gun and weapon feels impactful and i love the finishers. Upgrading Lara felt natural with her character growth. While I think sometimes there was too much combat overall it was extremely fun and exciting.
The story of the Island and Lara's character are standout here, I do enjoy some of the side characters. The action moments were incredible and felt impactful on the narrative and overall it was pretty satisfying aside from a couple of annoying side characters and the ending.
Lara is extremely serious and sad a lot, it's hard to really know her...But I loved watching her grow.

Overall: 37

RISE
Art Direction: 7
Maybe I'm in the minority but I loved the snow environment. It felt cold, isolated, and dangerous. There is a little bit too much snow but I really love the aesthetic of the Lost City and the tombs and architecture. They're truly beautiful.
Exploration: 8.5
Similar to TR2013 but overall better. I think there are a bit too many collectables and some of them not very interesting but overaol it still doesn't feel too forced or overbearing and the tombs are much better in this game, I enjoyed them a lot.
Combat: 7
Not as good as TR2013, but I appreciate the inclusion of stealth as a mechanic. You really felt that Lara grew to use everything she knew to take down Trinity. I did find it annoying that Lara's abilities were taken away and we had to build her up again.
Again quite similar to TR2013 in terms of storyline. The opening was very strong as well as the post credits scene but most of the stuff in between was never that interesting.
I appreciate some of early moments of her getting upset about Anna and then the line "you don't know how far I've come" but other than that she feels like she has no personality in this game at all. She really doesn't grow much over the course of this game. If at all.

Overall: 34.5

SHADOW
Art Direction: 8
It's a beautifully colorful world, and while it's not as realistic as Rise, it's the play of light vs dark that I really appreciate. You can tell the game really shines in dark spaces and in the jungle.
Exploration: 5
I liked the side tombs and crypts, they're better than the previous two games but but I have to give it a lesser score because they are not on the main path, and main path is so painfully linear that it hurts. Collectables are boring and excessive, exploring feels almost more like a chore than something I want to do.
Combat: 3
It just isn't good. Clunky and dated. The same stuff, except even less than Rise. I also had serious input latency issues in combat on my first playthrough which really ruined the experience for me.
Story: 5
This is a hard one. The story was a very underwhelming conclusion to the arc of Trinity and Lara's origin story. The acting is a lot better in the main game, but overall I felt the pacing was far too slow in moments.
She definitely more closely resembles classic Lara... but is still very far from it. I think that more than Lara's character, I appreciate a few very specific moments where Lara shines. But the ending the scene left a very sour taste for me in regards to her character. But the way her motivations are set up in this do feel a little more natural than the previous two games.

Overall:28

Last edited by just*raidin*tomb; 25-09-18 at 01:01.
just*raidin*tomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-18, 01:21   #6
veigafd
Archaeologist

TR 2013 for me was good for it's age, but get's repetitive too fast. The story was passable, this is the only one that I feel they took like 500% more careful doing. The sequels feels rather rushed compared to this one.
The multiplayer even though horrendous, it was fun but there was no need to it. BUT it was good for replay value.

Rise in gameplay overall is better than 2013, but the story is good if you are a super fan of TR. If not, then you'll find it bland as hell.
The replay value is 10 times better than 2013 and sadly (oddly enough) it put a standard to me to think that shadow would have more content, and that was not the case ( I hope time proves me wrong though).

Playing a first playthrough of shadow in the hardest difficulty is the way to go. It is the only one that really feels like a classic tomb raider overall, but when you end the campaign there's absolutely nothing to do. That's what bothers me the most. The story is better than rise but doesn't have the same feel that 2013 give to me. I dare to say that the ideas are as good as 2013, but the execution is "rise style".

I can't really put a ranking , cause I liked all of them, but rise have the meh campaign to me. BUT rise have the awesome dlc's as well, and endurance, which was my jam when the anniversary edition came out.
Old 25-09-18, 01:36   #7
Vange
Hobbyist

I'm not going to have many friends here.

TR2013:
Art Direction: 9
Superb atmosphere, great level design, plenty of places gave me vertigo, loved the verticality and the different part of the island. Great cinematography.
Exploration: 7
Not too much exploring going on, fairly linear, but I liked how new parts of the island became accessible one by one and how new tools offered new possibilities
Pretty natural. Actually the less polished combat experience of the three, but still new and fresh
Story: 9
Basic, but very well executed, clear progression both in term of Lara growing up and us discovering the reality of the Yamatai. Very good "moments" like the ascension of the radio tower.
Lara as a Character: 8
Again, pretty basic, but I liked it.

Overall: 40

RISE
Art Direction: 6.5
Bleh, whites, greys and browns everywhere. The saving point was the geothermal valley and a few interiors but there was nothing as grandiose as the vistas of TR13
Exploration: 7.5
Better than TR13, but since I found the environment drab, it wasn't as pleasant.
Technically better than TR13, but time flies.
The Trinity storyline was boring, the prophet one was a bit better, serviceable but nothing to write home about.
Did Lara change at all? Not very much personality shown here, just going through the motions

Overall: 34

SHADOW
Art Direction: 9
Light effects were great, Mexico was fantastic, the skull cliffs in Cozumel, the temple there, all outstanding. The jungle was extremely atmospheric and well done. Loved the part where you cross the rapids to save Unuratu. Cenote was super creepy and the part leading to Cenote was outstandingly beautiful. San Juan and the surrounding areas provided a nice change too.
Good tombs, good crypts, a few hidden areas. helped by a very good level design
Combat: 5.5
Bleh, technically better than Rise, but combat "arenas" hurt the game a lot. Not enough opportunities to use the new skills and stealth usually solves everything.
Bleh, incoherent plot with an ending that seems to be missing a few parts, like a Rourke/Dominguez confrontation and a better scene than "hey, Crimson Fire, you appear on my dead friends tattoos". At least the side quests are decent.
More personality but her growth as a character isn't helped by the incoherent storyline. You guess where Eidos wants to go, but they didn't manage to show it with the story.

Overall: 35.5

Winner: TR13
Good enough: SOTTR
Middle Child: ROTTR, Baba Yaga was really cool though.

Last edited by Vange; 25-09-18 at 01:37.
Vange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-18, 03:58   #8
Soma Holiday
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by just*raidin*tomb View Post
But the ending the scene left a very sour taste for me in regards to her character.
Which one? The happy i suddenly love people scene with Jonah? Or post credits creepy smile scene?

Great points everyone!

Quote:
"but when you end the campaign there's absolutely nothing to do. That's what bothers me the most."
Agreed! At least in Rise you could still fight some badguys for XP!

Quote:
"Not enough opportunities to use the new skills and stealth usually solves everything."
I literally plowed my way through just to get it over with. My stealth was glitchy i think. People would see me in the plants even before the thernal stuff...never used finishers or grenades...very underwhelming.

Last edited by Soma Holiday; 25-09-18 at 03:59.
Old 25-09-18, 06:01   #9
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

It lacks "puzzle" and "platforming" parameter tbh.

Last edited by Chamayoo; 25-09-18 at 06:04.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-18, 06:56   #10
FanosCroft
Professor

I didn't expect Shadow to be actually worser than Rise and reboot, I can't score the games rn becuse I need to write a lot but I'll that Shadow is the worse game in the trilogy and I can't think of a section of the game that I like but the tomb in Conzumel.