www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 27-07-19, 22:48   #1
ian2006
Historian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 355
Default Playing the classics on a modern PC?

I've recently got a new PC and have started using windows 10 for the first time, whats the best way to play the original game on a modern system. If possible i'd like to play with the OST from the PS1 and a controller.

Thanks
ian2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-19, 23:05   #2
LuckyEdge10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Italy
Posts: 1,698
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian2006 View Post
I've recently got a new PC and have started using windows 10 for the first time, whats the best way to play the original game on a modern system. If possible i'd like to play with the OST from the PS1 and a controller.

Thanks
You can buy the games on Steam (when they're in sale they're sold at less than $1).

There are multiple patches for the classic games for modern systems. For TR1, I suggest you to download TombATI. It will make the game work without DosBox and you will be able to put the official HD Textures or custom textures and you'll be able to apply mods like sound effects, HQ FMVs and the gorgeus Xevengar's model mods.

For TR2 and all the other classics, the only thing you need to download is Stella's widescreen patch which enables widescreen in the game and will make the game run in full screen (the games are not optimized for Windows 10 and if you don't download the patch you'll be forced to play the games in windowed mode).

About Angel of Darkness...I don't know if you want to play it, but if you want to and you want a "complete" experience, you'll have to download dozens of mods and it will take almost 2 hours to completely optimize Angel of Darkness for the best way possible

By the way, you can always play the games via emulator (PS1 emulator for the first 5 games, PS2 emulator for Angel of Darkness and the LAU trilogy).
LuckyEdge10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-19, 12:19   #3
Samz
Relic Hunter
 
Samz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Helheim
Posts: 5,066
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyEdge10 View Post
You can buy the games on Steam (when they're in sale they're sold at less than $1).

There are multiple patches for the classic games for modern systems. For TR1, I suggest you to download TombATI. It will make the game work without DosBox and you will be able to put the official HD Textures or custom textures and you'll be able to apply mods like sound effects, HQ FMVs and the gorgeus Xevengar's model mods.

For TR2 and all the other classics, the only thing you need to download is Stella's widescreen patch which enables widescreen in the game and will make the game run in full screen (the games are not optimized for Windows 10 and if you don't download the patch you'll be forced to play the games in windowed mode).

About Angel of Darkness...I don't know if you want to play it, but if you want to and you want a "complete" experience, you'll have to download dozens of mods and it will take almost 2 hours to completely optimize Angel of Darkness for the best way possible

By the way, you can always play the games via emulator (PS1 emulator for the first 5 games, PS2 emulator for Angel of Darkness and the LAU trilogy).
2 hours? I mean there's a good few things but they're mostly small visual fixes you don't really need.
__________________
"What does it mean to be a Tomb Raider?,It means to collect artifacts for sport"
Samz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-19, 12:42   #4
LuckyEdge10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Italy
Posts: 1,698
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
2 hours? I mean there's a good few things but they're mostly small visual fixes you don't really need.
Yeah, but when I said "complete experience" I totally mean COMPLETE
LuckyEdge10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-19, 17:41   #5
Famicom
Historian
 
Famicom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: City of Vilcabamba
Posts: 367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyEdge10 View Post
Yeah, but when I said "complete experience" I totally mean COMPLETE
Could you point at a complete tutorial, if it exists, to achieve the "complete experience"?
__________________
I'm sorry. I only play for sport.
Famicom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-19, 18:05   #6
LuckyEdge10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Italy
Posts: 1,698
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famicom View Post
Could you point at a complete tutorial, if it exists, to achieve the "complete experience"?
https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...d.php?t=220813

Here it is ^^
LuckyEdge10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-19, 15:03   #7
Famicom
Historian
 
Famicom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: City of Vilcabamba
Posts: 367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyEdge10 View Post
God bless you.
__________________
I'm sorry. I only play for sport.
Famicom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-19, 17:30   #8
Polynature
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Croft Manor, England
Posts: 15
Default Reply:

I suggest TOMBATI for TR1, Peixotos Patches for the others, and maybe some texture and fullscreen mods through Peixoto.
Polynature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-19, 18:52   #9
LuckyEdge10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Italy
Posts: 1,698
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polynature View Post
I suggest TOMBATI for TR1, Peixotos Patches for the others, and maybe some texture and fullscreen mods through Peixoto.
TombATI for TR1 is an absolute must. Playing the game with DosBox on modern system is awful.

Tho, Peixoto's tool is only useful if you want HD Textures on TR2, because TR3-4-5 don't have HD textures and mods can be easily installed with the game's files.
LuckyEdge10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-19, 08:29   #10
Polynature
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Croft Manor, England
Posts: 15
Default

Yes, very true, and one thing I have to say, Peixoto does Great on the fullscreen.
Polynature is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 11:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.