www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

View Poll Results: What is your overall opinion of Shadow?
I like it. 111 47.03%
I mostly like it. 89 37.71%
I mostly dislike it. 25 10.59%
I dislike it. 11 4.66%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-08-19, 21:54   #101
cephasjames
Archaeologist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,031
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robwood View Post
I don't take it at face value; I go deeper. Really, though, all I'm saying is that I see the water starting to boil and if it does, I'm getting out of the pot before I'm cooked to death.
Okay. Well, don't let the door hit you on the way out, then.

I understand completely where you're coming from, but I think you're reading way too much into it. We'll just have to wait and see.
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-19, 22:10   #102
Synlidwirh
Hobbyist
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 97
Default

the game wasn't perfect but I enjoyed it.... the major problems I had with it were because it didn't have what I would have wanted to tied into the comics and books better. That is small and mostly on me, gameplay it was fair, story wasn't terrible but not the best and the addition of a new game plus was interesting but it didn't make the paths feel that special that you could get all of them anyways.
Synlidwirh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-19, 22:29   #103
Robwood
Professor
 
Robwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 2,635
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephasjames View Post
I understand completely where you're coming from, but I think you're reading way too much into it. We'll just have to wait and see.
Nothing would please me more than to be proven wrong on the matter.
__________________
I own a PS4.
Robwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-19, 06:50   #104
robm_2007
Legend
 
robm_2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: RIP, Spong. You are very missed!
Posts: 34,535
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
Huh?
I agree.
__________________
Well come on, Teletubby, teleport us to Mars!
robm_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-19, 08:42   #105
ThatSassyKid
Relic Hunter
 
ThatSassyKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 8,387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robm_2007 View Post
Let's vote on how poor these poll options are:
Good
Terribly good
Mostly not terrible
Goodly terrible
Goodly terrible.
__________________
Me: *breathes* Entire forum: ...
ThatSassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-19, 10:13   #106
tomblover
Tomb Raider
 
tomblover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 24,535
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robwood View Post
The grind and the cards are evidence otherwise. I'll keep my cynicism.
Which version of Shadow are you playing where there are Expedition Cards?

I will agree that the microtransactions in Rise felt forced, but come the **** on. It's not as if expedition points (or whatever the currency is called) were awarded so scarcely that you needed to purchase more with real-life money to get anywhere meaningful quickly. There was no grind to speak of...

If that was the same to you as what CTR and MK11 are doing now, I really don't know what to say.
__________________
"You're like an old film reel, kissin' me when the crowd can watch."

Last edited by tomblover; 08-08-19 at 10:14.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-19, 10:35   #107
AimlessThunder
Professor
 
AimlessThunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Romania
Posts: 4,069
Default

The problem with Shadow is that there are not many memorable moments besides the Porvenir scene.
Lara's almost a bad ass, but she stops half way and becomes the savior of the people.
I don't know.. I feel like something is missing.
It's like you have a juicy cake in front of you, but you are only allowed to taste parts of the frosting.
I feel like Tomb Raider 2013 and Rise did a better job. The story and story progression was miles better in those games.
I almost feel like Rise should have been the next game after Shadow, and Shadow after TR 2013. TR2013-SHADOW-RISE.
That being said, I did enjoy the game.
I did appreciate all the DLCs, but they were more or less the same.. in a way.
Nothing truly exciting. Maybe that has something to do with the uninspired stories.
I's still waiting for Croft Manor to be fully explorable.
I feel like they did not take to many risks with this game, they played it safe.
I am excited to see what the future brings.
__________________
The definitive Lara Croft has less emotion than Kristen Stewart.

Last edited by AimlessThunder; 08-08-19 at 10:40.
AimlessThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-19, 11:19   #108
interstellardave
Tomb Raider
 
interstellardave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 16,783
Default

The most important part of TR is tombs, IMO. And, IMO, SOTTR has the best tombs in the entire series. I never thought the original 3 games would be topped in that regard but these tombs are legitimately great. General exploration and traversal is also really good.

The story stinks but, then again, most of the games didn't have good stories. I don't come to TR for stories either. Many of the HUB activities are dull which is another negative... cut those out and the game would be leaner and meaner. The next game should be more of the general exploration, and tombs, and less of the boring HUB activities.
__________________
Courtney Love's band Hole was better than Nirvana ever was.
interstellardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-19, 12:56   #109
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter
 
Yeauxleaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: England
Posts: 7,859
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by interstellardave View Post
The most important part of TR is tombs, IMO. And, IMO, SOTTR has the best tombs in the entire series. I never thought the original 3 games would be topped in that regard but these tombs are legitimately great. General exploration and traversal is also really good.
I think it was a great starting point, they definitely made a huge effort to bring back the importance of tombs and that should be noted. Some of the puzzles and platforming sequences were pretty good as well, definitely up to par with the classics.

However I don't think they're quite there yet. What I would like to see, going forward, is just a little less obvious straight-forward linearity and guidance in how you traverse through the tombs. Branching paths, some backtracking (nothing too tedious), perhaps even multiple ways of traversing through a room or area in some cases. I especially want more strategic platforming to return instead of the automated stuff, although I much appreciate the white paint being removed here.


Quote:
The story stinks but, then again, most of the games didn't have good stories. I don't come to TR for stories either. Many of the HUB activities are dull which is another negative... cut those out and the game would be leaner and meaner. The next game should be more of the general exploration, and tombs, and less of the boring HUB activities.
I think the stories of these games get so much criticism because that is what the devs try to promote the games on the strength on. Up until Shadow anyway they didn't really promote the actual gameplay mechanics of the games, it was all about Survivor Lara and her journey. Even in promoting Shadow, that dead horse tag line, Lara BeCoMeS tHe ToMb RaIdEr.

If they're really pushing (painfully serious with it too) that the story is supposed to be the main strength of the game, then it's going to get criticism when it's mediocre.

However I do wish they'd not focus so much on the story, especially cinematic-storytelling, and just let us loose exploring environments with as little cinematic interference as possible. The odd cutscene here and there along with in-game environmental cues is enough, seriously.
__________________
WhErE iS cHaRlEs LeE.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-19, 13:15   #110
SpyrosMonster
Relic Hunter
 
SpyrosMonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
I think the stories of these games get so much criticism because that is what the devs try to promote the games on the strength on. Up until Shadow anyway they didn't really promote the actual gameplay mechanics of the games, it was all about Survivor Lara and her journey. Even in promoting Shadow, that dead horse tag line, Lara BeCoMeS tHe ToMb RaIdEr.

If they're really pushing (painfully serious with it too) that the story is supposed to be the main strength of the game, then it's going to get criticism when it's mediocre.

However I do wish they'd not focus so much on the story, especially cinematic-storytelling, and just let us loose exploring environments with as little cinematic interference as possible. The odd cutscene here and there along with in-game environmental cues is enough, seriously.
Completely.

Shadow's story campaign is quite literally 50% cutscenes.
Take that into consideration and combine it with the fact that the story was meh at best.

Last edited by SpyrosMonster; 08-08-19 at 13:16.
SpyrosMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 16:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.